MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just thought I'd share some pics. I've been looking for a way to mount a garmin ZUMO 550 on my R312. I really hate to mount anything on the bike but there's times when a GPS / SAT Radio and Music comes in REALLY handy. I've used garmin for years and stuck them in all my vehicles and bikes but this is the first Zumo so far.

I ordered the euro tech mount (I can post the model later) and I just started playing with the placement of the device and I have to say that I really like where's it's at. I have it tied into my Bluetooth helmet and my cell phone so it's cell phone > Garmin > helmet.

I ordered one more mount to see if I can stick my Valentine One on there too. I've gone years with one on my bikes on now in my M3 and it's hard not to have one every time you want to crack open the throttle a bit.

So here's the pics in case you want to do the same thing. You have to move the "default" settings around a bit to get it in the right position.

I'll let you know how it work after tomorrow's ride. :)

---Oh, the photos where you see the guages are from the riding perspective (hands on bars). Also, your hand will fit perfectly when pushing all the buttons. (very cool).

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Looks too busy in my opinion. I try and get away from it all on a bike and try and get lost...lol. As far as a radar detector....just crack that throttle and no cop in his right mind will come after you

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Honestly...

:jsm:

EXCELLENT job doing those electronic mods...BUT

to me, it just doesn't belong.

I would NOT go so far as to say :barfalot: .

I often want a radar detector, but just try to be smart and lucky. Also, I do not look down when at speed.

To each his own...

Peter

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know EXACTLY what you're saying and I'm still up in the air over it. The radar isn't on yet (still just looking at where to put the thing). As for the GPS, I do have a K1200RS with all the goodies and for around town I don't use one at all.

To me it's like a tank bag. I don't like one on my MV but when I'm going somewhere I've never been before and I'm riding 250+ miles in a day then it's kind of nice to have. I would rather look / listen to a GPS and know where I'm going (especially in a group ride) then try to navigate with a map.

I guess the best thing of all is that the whole thing can be removed in less than 30 seconds and there's no visable signs that one was ever installed. I do remember using a GPS once to give the exact location of a downed rider. They got there much quicker.

Well, I guess I'll see how it works tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
You might be better off using your tank bag (one with a clear map pocket I would imagine) to store the gps and scrape the radar, at least until you can find a more compact unit. Because what you have there looks crazy especially on a superbike.
PK

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ARG! I don't like look of anything on my bike. So the radar is off... I might go with just my pocket GPS system...... I have until 8 am to figure this out. LOL..

-W

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
I'm looking to try to outfit various bikes with similar instruments.

At the end of the day, it will never look clean. But hey, if you are touring on the MV, more power to you.

- How are you powering the devices?
- What kind of helmet do you have to handle both a phone and GPS (and is the V-1 linked in as well?)

Thanks for the pics....

-colin

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just ran the very small power cable on the left side and followed the existing cables along the frame to the battery. It took me about 20 minutes as compared to over an hour on my BMW and it's very clean cabling (you can't really see it).

I got the Dainese Airstream Course Bluetooth Helmet which connects to the GPS which in turn connects to my phone. Without the GPS the helmet connects directly to my phone. (again no wires)

I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with the V1... I'll most likey use a H.A.R.D system with it through, not sure. Tomorrow I"m running without it and I'm taking plentry of bride money with me. :)

So I've decided that when I'm in R312GT mode I'll most likely use the GPS and tank bag (aka 200+ miles per day to places I've never been), otherwise It's off.

I remember going on a 1400mi road trip a couple years ago with a guy who was on a duc (now his track bike). I was on my K1200RS and everyone kept saying to him, "wow, I'm impressed with the road trip on the duc... how are you holding up?". Well, I've done one 250+ mile road trip riding 2 up and by the end of the day I was ready for a massage. :) I think tomorrow will be a great ride. My bike is just shy of 2000 miles and it's getting smoother and smoother.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
IMHO, if you like it and will benefit having those devices on the bike for these long trips, why not? especially since it's easily removable.

when I need to see directions in the past, I just write it down on a little piece of paper and tape it to the TTT clamp with masking tape, it's a little odd but it has worked just fine for me.

do what will make you comfortable, IMHO.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
ezepilot said:
I don't mean to be rude, BUT, how do you have time to look at those things when your screaming through corners????
I don't think that is the point. Nobody does.

What is nice though with some form of GPS is to get to a junction (stop, like most people), look at the GPS and say, oh, i should go right. Takes a second or so.

beats the hell out of getting off, digging for the map, turning it upside down, finding current location, next destination, etc.

For touring, it is the way forward. (but i always carry the normal maps as well!)

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Agreed! GPS has been something I have been seeking for the F4 (specifically a RAM mount solution). Would have helped on the 500mile trip I did on it since I hit up some nice riding routes which were a bit off the typical course.

Hitting the twisties hard? Don't look down of course :)

Just going to ride a short twisty route? No need for GPS, sure.

But going on a long trip like many here do on the F4, GPS would certainly come in handy

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I thought I'd write a bit more about the GPS because of some of the questions I've heard come up. I'm sure there are some articles on using a GPS and if you're a dual sport guy or into trouring then you already know the reason's why.

First off, here's the website on the garmin unit. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135&pID=414 Like I said before, I own about 5 of these things starting out years ago. Originally anything you stuck on a bike froze up due to the vibration or the elements would kill it or you couldn't operate it with gloves and so on. The Zumo has fixed all of that in this most recent design.

If you're like me, you love to ride. What you don't like to do is get lost or spend time looking for gas, a hotel, a place to eat and so on. When you're leaned over in 100mph sweepers you don't look down to see where you're at or you're dead. When you're cranking down the highway and you don't know if you stay left or go straight... ah.... that's when the little voice comes on and says, "in one mile, keep left on highway 395". Then it says, "in 400 feet keep left on highway 395" and so on. If you WANT to look down you can, but you don't need to because of all the text-to-speech directions are telling you where to go.

SO have you ever wanted to know if the next mile ahead is a place to pass? With the GPS you can see what is ahead of you and with a traffic receiver you can actually tell what the traffic is like in the routes ahead and it will even detour your in the event there is an accident or construction.

What to know what the weather is like heading over the pass or what it's like where you're going? Just push a couple of buttons and you have the info. If you like XM Sat radio, there is a built in interface along with a built in MP3 player with HUGE buttons you can push with your gloves. When you're coming up on a route change then music mutes and the voice comes on telling you where to turn next.

If you're looking for fuel or service or a motorcycle shop it will instantly tell you how many miles they are away from where you're at or you can narrow down the search to only those places in your current route or near your destination.

When garmin came out with the Bluetooth it was very cool. Now you could not only look up a place but you could push the phone button and it would instantly dial the number of the place you just looked up. Also, if you've lost part of your group and they call you then you see them on the display and you can have it auto answer or you can just push a button and have it come into your helmet. Now before you go off on a rant about cell phones and motorcycles let me clarify. I'm not talking about riding and jabbering on the cell phone like some soccer mom in a minivan full of kids. There is a time and place for everything and these little tech toys allow me to get more time in the saddle and spend less time lost or waiting for a call.

I remember being so incredibly lost with two other guys that I told myself that I wouldn't go on long rides again without a gps. There were two groups, us (the fast guys) and the well... guys that like to see more things or something. We got on this amazing road full of 100+ mph sweepers that followed a river and we rode it all the way out. Well somewhere along the way we missed a turn and ended up about 40 miles off course. It was when we saw the sign, "welcome to Oregon" (the next state) that we realized we were no longer on our highlighted line (Toto, we are no longer in Kansas). We pull over and out comes the maps. We have no cell phone reception and we don't know which way to turn. Well since I was practicing for a very long ride I over packed and brought my PC Tablet with Bluetooth so after about 10 minutes out comes the laptop and GPS which then instantly told us where we were and where we needed to go. The funny part was we not only got back to our destination with our 100 mile detour, we made it there before the other group. LOL. (see photo of me on the bmw, one on the DUC and the other on the Triumph)

Now tomorrow (well, in a few hours) I'm going to be following a group of guys and I'm sure I'm going to want to see where I've been, how fast I was going and I may even want to ride it again or send the route to a friend. With the garmin you can do all that when you get home and plug it into your PC. I can save the route info and create new future routes from the data I've collected.

With the Zumo you can also easily remove it (it does lock on your system), take it into a starbucks and create some routes then get back on and ride some more. The battery life is pretty good and if you're on the road and you want to take it inside you can easily do so. So when you've been out all day riding with a group of friends and you're ready to head back (or if you're trip gets cut short) there is a huge button called "home", you press it and the little female voice comes on and tells you the most efficient way to get home and it even shows you how many miles you have left and what time you'll be there all based on traffic conditions and average speeds of the road.

Personally I can't stand the look of it on the MV (it looks at home on the BMW) or the look of one stuck on the dash of a car for that matter but when something so functional comes along and it allows you to enjoy more of what you love to do... tough choices need to be made. Fortunately, I can remove it in a matter of seconds for those times when I just want to hang out and pose next to my MV. :)

-W

Attachments

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Wesley,

Thanks for the Zumo info. They actually sell it here through Honda, and it isn't twice the price of normal Garmin products in Japan (or so i hear), so I'm gonna look into this. Gotta work out the details of buying a US unit vs. Japan unit, but will sort that out myself....

cheers,
-colin

·
Registered
522 Posts
Another thanks for the rundown on the zumo.I was just reading about the zumo and the tom tom the other night and going with the zumo.The tom tom seams like junk in comparison it's only water resistant
I have a garmin 60cs now but like you said shuts down with the vibes,dualsports vibe like mad.

·
Registered
114 Posts
This may be athought on how to mount your unit when riding the MV. I have an
AV-Map GPS unit that I use when I fly. I strap it to my leg because I have no room in my panel. The unit is designed to be straped to your leg. It has a power and gps antenna cord that plugs into the aircraft. It also has nema data output so it wil steer my auto pilot. The point is you guys can ride with a GPS unit attached to your upper leg at the flat area above the knee. Its not weather proof but if it rains you could move it to a tank bag. I'll get some pics next time I fly.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Wesley, quick question, I don't suppose you know the version of Bluetooth? My phone is v1.2. I can't find info on the Garmin site. My phone is pretty new, but not the latest 2.0 version that some others are.... not really sure where bluetooth is in the states, so dunno what is getting pushed out....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It should have no problem talking to your phone.

-W

·
Registered
358 Posts
weskro said:
ARG! I don't like look of anything on my bike. So the radar is off... I might go with just my pocket GPS system...... I have until 8 am to figure this out. LOL..

-W
Take a look at the pix in my album showing the Passport 8500 I mounted. And look at the FAQ showing the Valentine mounted up under the fairing. Check the pictures. Makes for a nice, unobtrusive mount, although you lose the Laser detection FWIW.

http://gallery.mvagusta.net/falcopilot

http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/2005/09/valentine-1-radar-detector.html

1 - 20 of 41 Posts