MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Having had some overheating problems on my 1078RR Brutale I want to install a manual switch ahead of my trip to Spain for the Aragon Moto GP.

I've read I simply have to splice into the black/white wire from the fan relay and switch it to earth. I must be being a bit simple as I cannot find the relay, see photo of my fuses on the right hand side, please can someone tell me where the fan relay is, so I find this black/white wire.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,332 Posts
I don't think the 1078RR has one either...I could be very wrong. Check your service manual.

·
Super Moderator
22,332 Posts
What year is your bike, Baz...?

·
Vendor
5,335 Posts
A Brutale should not need a fan switch,they normally do not overheat.As the guys said pretty sure your fans are conrolled by the SPU.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Hi all,

Having had some overheating problems on my 1078RR Brutale I want to install a manual switch ahead of my trip to Spain for the Aragon Moto GP.

I've read I simply have to splice into the black/white wire from the fan relay and switch it to earth. I must be being a bit simple as I cannot find the relay, see photo of my fuses on the right hand side, please can someone tell me where the fan relay is, so I find this black/white wire.

Thank you!
You have a different wiring diagram to the post's added about installing a fan on the F4, not sure if the B4 with an SPU can be modified in the same way.
Check out your wiring diagram to find a separate power source which you can put a fuse onto.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Hi all,

Thank you!
You have a different wiring diagram to the post's added about installing a fan on the F4, not sure if the B4 with an SPU can be modified in the same way.
Check out your wiring diagram to find a separate power source which you can put a fuse onto.
Id go from battery fused to a relay to handlebar switch/ fans.

But Mitchy makes a good point in does Baz actuallt need this on a Brutale.?

Joe

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Hi all,

Thank you!
Id go from battery fused to a relay to handlebar switch/ fans.

But Mitchy makes a good point in should Baz actually need this on a Brutale.?

Id want to sort out the overheating issue...before setting off....

Joe

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bike overheated on the way home from work. It wasnt particularly hot that day either. Changed the antifreeze and waited 4 weeks to get a new temp sensor. The bike doesn't overheat when its moving now, runs at around 88 c. However as soon as you hit traffic the temp goes up, fans come on... it hits 97 easily, before falling, then as soon as the fans go off at 92 ish, it goes straight back up, quite quickly. It appears it goes a little higher each cycle. Its cool in England at the moment and I just have no confidence it will cope in slow traffic in Spain if its hot. I'm probably looking for a problem that isnt there, but I'm going to Aragon Moto GP next week and really dont want to break down.

I had a Microtec ECU fitted by Chris in March, if I had time I'm sure he could turn the fans on earlier, but I dont have time to take a day's run over to him. A manual switch just seemed a very easy solution to give me a bit of confidence in town traffic.

So, I presume now that it isnt that easy. If I run a manual switch from the battery via a fuse and relay do I have to splice a positive and earth into the fans, or just a positive, like are the fans already earthed?

Having said that, maybe I need a day off work and a trip to see Chris, I'll give him a ring on Monday.

Thanks to all for their help... its great that there are people prepared to give their time helping newbys to MV, like myself. They are so different to Jap bikes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After reading it on here mine is wired into the kill switch so she still looks ridgey didge :) Not a problem for me as I never use the kill switch anyway.
That's another thing.... when I come to a stop I can turn use the kill switch to stop the engine but keep the fans running. But the bike doesn't start in gear, is that right, even with the clutch pulled in, it wont turnover in gear????

1 - 20 of 39 Posts