MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed my HID kit from my Streetfighter to my Dragster, and now my bike wont stay running.

I start the bike and it idles for 10-15 secs and then stalls immediately as if I hit the engine stop switch. I know the HID Kit is good, as it works on the bench without issue. If I unplug the ballast, and start the bike it runs fine, no stalling, and if I reconnect the ballast while the bike is running, it stays running and no stalling, and the headlight works fine. However, If the ballast is connected before I start the bike, it only idles for 15 secs maximum and then dies.

It would seem as if the HID ballast is disrupting a sensor somehow, causing the bike to stall. I am going to pull the HID kit back off, but wanted to know if anyone has any other troubleshooting suggestions or experience with this kinds of issue, before going back to regular bulbs.

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
24,122 Posts
Sounds like the ballast is drawing down the system voltage as it comes up t full power...perhaps it drops voltage below the minimum for ECU operation. I'd be looking at the battery...probably a B.S. P.O.S.

·
Super Moderator
24,122 Posts
...another thing to check is the ground connection.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...another thing to check is the ground connection.
Great thanks, Ill check that and the Battery, Ill put a meter on it and watch the voltage before it stalls.

The HID kit does not have a high beam, so I just the high beam switch to kill the low beam before starting and that seems to be a temp solution.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,122 Posts
Red, as a public service announcement: The batteries that MV is using to power the new generation of bikes are made by a company that is called "B.S.". I didn't think it was possible, but they appear to be worse than the Koyo batteries used in 2010 models.

If that is your battery maker, do yourself a favor and replace it with a quality battery.

·
Banned
676 Posts
"It would seem as if the HID ballast is disrupting a sensor somehow, causing the bike to stall."

It very well could be adding electrical noise into the system. MIght be the way the HID kit is grounded, hmmmm. There's no good way to know without looking at the signal paths on an O-scope or network analyzer, but you might want to try this. Find some ferrite beads. Also, take another look at the grounding of the kit. Make sure that any leads that came with the kit are as short as possible without binding, and also try re-routing any wiring from the HID kit that is in close proximity to other, original, wiring harness lines.

You might have some RF noise being inductively coupled into a line going to the ECU or a sensor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81C4IfONt3o

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f133/hid-kit-fm-radio-interference-30691/

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum.../75738-hid-headlight-interference-issues.html

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Red, as a public service announcement: The batteries that MV is using to power the new generation of bikes are made by a company that is called "B.S.". I didn't think it was possible, but they appear to be worse than the Koyo batteries used in 2010 models.

If that is your battery maker, do yourself a favor and replace it with a quality battery.
Agreed. My 6 month old BS battery is sitting on my garage floor awaiting a trip to the recycler.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just a quick note HID ballast boxes produce massive amounts of RF interference ask any Audi A4 owner who has fitted HID's to their car if you don't put the ballasts in the right location. Mine would bring up every warning light on the dashboard ever time I turned them on. I tried the warning light cancellation boxes that trick the canbus system into thinking they were normal high resistance bulbs but no joy. In the end I moved the ballasts about in the engine bay and hey presto I've had no problems since.
I know it sounds far fetched but believe me it's a well documented problem, so just try moving your ballast box around and seeing if that helps.

Just read Dana Cincad's post, that's the same thing.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Never had issues with my HID kit. I stuffed the ballast in the LHS fairing just above the left side airtube. Its the MV corse one, but shouldn't make much difference surely? I reckon your battery is toast and the ECU cant run on the reduced battery output. Also make sure as above regarding the location of your ballast and interference.

Remember, everything is electronic on this bike.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Never had issues with my HID kit. I stuffed the ballast in the LHS fairing just above the left side airtube. Its the MV corse one, but shouldn't make much difference surely? I reckon your battery is toast and the ECU cant run on the reduced battery output. Also make sure as above regarding the location of your ballast and interference.

Remember, everything is electronic on this bike.
Have Design Corse HID and it´s ok too, since day one

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have not gotten a chance to go back through the bike yet. It has been sitting on the battery charger since that day in the garage...I started it up today and it ran fine till the fan came on. I turned it off, and it started right back up and ran without issue. I am thinking the it may be the BS battery issue, so next chance I get, I am going to pull it out and check, and drop in something better.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Mines just a genuine one fitted as per mv instructions. I've had no issues to date. Battery I guess is the standard one? Guessing I'll need to change it but the bikes a month old

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mines just a genuine one fitted as per mv instructions. I've had no issues to date. Battery I guess is the standard one? Guessing I'll need to change it but the bikes a month old
Hi mate,

Out of curiosity what battery did you get on your RR, I get mine in a few weeks so I'm thinking about changing out the battery and avoid any potential issues... Hopefully!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update, Finally got around to checking/replacing the BS battery with a new Yuasa, and problem resolved no more stalling.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts