MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered some clear lenses from Pirate's Lair (whom I recommend highly for their customer service) and they didn't seem to fit my 2005 F41000. Here is a copy of the email I sent to Clear Alternatives letting them know about the problem. Has anyone else tried an install on their 2005? Did the size of the mounting screw change between 750/1000 or between years?

Begin email:
Hi. I ordered clear front turn signals for my 2005 MV Agusta F4-1000S. Today I went to install them and ended up snapping the hole where the screw fits through off on both lenses.
I started on the left side and the lens fit perfectly into place. I inserted the screw and started to tighten it. When it was almost tight, the main lens snapped at the point where the screw was fit through it.
At that point, I figured I was going to need a new set of lenses anyways, and so I decided to see if I could find out what went wrong by trying the right side carefully.
I placed the screw into the lens and noticed that the head of the screw didn't fit flush into the lens, like it does on the stock lenses. It appears that the hole in which the screw head is supposed to sink into the lens is not big enough. I only have one MV Agusta F4 (2005) so I don't know if the size of that screw head changed between years, but I'm assuming thats the case. I mounted it up, and started tightening and, again, as it was getting tight it snapped. The amount of pressure needed is surprsingly small.
Seeing as no one else in the world makes clear lenses for MV Agustas, I was hoping I could get a new set from you in return for the ones that snapped. Next time around, I'm going to grind down the circumference of the screw head and make sure they sit flush before mounting.

Thanks,

Ryan Steckler

·
Registered
126 Posts
I put those on my 02 F4S with no problems. Everything fit and installed like OEM. If you can take a pic of the OEM cover with screw and the clear alt one. You may have had to drill out the opening a bit?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what the hell...
I just got a response back from clear alternatives and they're offering me 50% off another pair. Which is cool, I guess, but I can't believe no one else has had this problem. It seemed to me like it couldn't have *not* happened when I installed them. Especially because I removed and replaced the stock ones 3 times now looking for how the other ones could have broken. The stock ones just *fit*.

Oh well. I'm going to go get some super glue and try to fix the ones I have so I can practice, then grab another set at 50% off and take it *REAL* slow. Maybe I'll use a few washers between the mount and the lens so there isn't any pressure on it. It's not like installing front blinker lenses is rocket science :rolleyes:

·
Registered
136 Posts
me too I fitted the same brand clear lenses but the ones I got came with their own screws which I used? did you get screws with yours?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I superglued the old lenses back together but wasn't really confident that it would work well because of the way the screw hole broke out of the lens. I mounted them back in and rather than using the screw to "pull" them into place, I pushed them into place so there was zero stress on the screw hole and tightened them down, then released pressure on the lens. It worked great. You can't even tell that they were glued together, even if you know what to look for. I'm still going to grab another set from Clear Alternatives because I don't like the idea of having a broken/suprglued set of lenses on a 20k$ bike when a new set is only ~30$.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another update:
After I emailed ClearAlternatives and told them that it was probably my fault because a lot of other people had installed the lenses on my same bike, and offered to take them up on their offer to grab another set at half off, they replied.
They are actually sending me a new set for free! That's customer service!
That makes 2 people I've had good experiences with: Pirate's Lair (who accidentally sent the wrong item, and is now express shipping the correct part) and Clear Alternatives (whose item I broke on install and they are replacing for free).

I'm looking to add eMoto to my list soon, too =). I need some CF soon.

-c

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
cryptyk said:
Another update:
After I emailed ClearAlternatives and told them that it was probably my fault because a lot of other people had installed the lenses on my same bike, and offered to take them up on their offer to grab another set at half off, they replied.
They are actually sending me a new set for free! That's customer service!
That makes 2 people I've had good experiences with: Pirate's Lair (who accidentally sent the wrong item, and is now express shipping the correct part) and Clear Alternatives (whose item I broke on install and they are replacing for free).

I'm looking to add eMoto to my list soon, too =). I need some CF soon.

-c
Wow, they clearly didn't have to do that but it just proves that good customer service is the best investment the any business can make.

·
Registered
126 Posts
For the record - The guys over at Clear Alt are in fact awesome people to work with! They hooked my g/f up with their very first (and I really mean their first unit) clear integrated rear LED tail light for her Monster before it was even released to the general public.

Giving you a free set of lens is probably the cheapest marketing / PR Clear Alt could have done. Just look at all the people who will walk away from this post saying, wow - what a cool company!

My hats off to Clear Alt for taking care of their customers!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Couldn't agree more. I had a great experience with them too when a resistor failed on my BMW K1200 install. Actually upgraded and replaced the whole unit for free. Great guys!! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts