MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sstripped my 1078 for its 60,000km service and I have some carbon deposits on the backs of a couple of the inlet valves whilst the others are quite clean. I am probably worrying about nothing and am not going to strip the motor on account of it but wondering if there is any additive or different fuel ( in Australia) that might help. It was much the same at 48.000ks . Any theories on why this would be ?
cheers Cus

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
In our case this is mostly caused by oil coming past a valve stem seal, or sometimes a rich running engine, but others might be able to give you more info on this Cus.
I've seen people use SeaFoam to clean the system - http://seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-motor-treatment/ but I imagine there's a lot of option out there these days.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could get in there with something to loosen the worst of it but wouldn't want any of it lodging on the valve seat and holding a valve open.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked out the sea foam site, looks like it`s worth a try, I will see if it is available here. Yanks get all the good stuff.

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
?

intake valve seals......

and believe it or not the cheapest place to buy them....... the dealer:jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm:

I kid you NOT

:popcorn:

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quite some time ago after a service it became obvious the air filter had been massively over oiled as in running down the frame and making a hell of a mess when the bike was warm. I just twigged the two valves with deposits are on the low side of their respective throttle bodies when the bike is on the side stand. What`s the chances the excess filter oil created the deposits ?

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
?

cheapest fix ......Marvel Mystery Oil, been around forever, add the recommended

amount to your tank......

I use it in all my air tools too

·
Vendor
5,332 Posts
Cus,there is a product on the market to clean intake track and remove carbon deposits.I highly recommend it,I use it on cars I service and it is brilliant.Any Repco store sells it.Threebond Engine Conditioner,try it.

image.jpeg

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
Hum let me think......

Marvel Mystery Oil was patented in 1923
Ring Free was patented in 1937

And what did the Japs have to do with it Ed??????

Yamagook stole the name because the patent expired

Those of us that listened to Indy in the '50s and '60s remember the Ring Free Special cars

Yamaha Motors Corp was founded in 1955 after their success in copying the DKW RT 125

:stickpoke::stickpoke

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
?

Brian;

What I'm going to do is grab some samples and see if Rob will run them through the

lab........trust me Yamaha doesn't make Ring Free

Rob runs the lab at a small local company...... Chevron Corp.

For now I'll take

Marvel Mystery Oil
Yamaha Ring Free
And maybe Sea Foam

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I'd be curious to see your findings Noel......,I have Ring Free on the shelf...,one thing is for sure it is definitely not pink in colour like Marvel Mistery Oil ?.

Maybe a 'similar' product......,like Coke versus Pepsi?

Brian.

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
?

Googling....around the quoted forulae are real close......except for.the "proprietary"

solvent in Ring Free.....which is BS

With a little luck Rob will run it through the spectrograph.......

And we'll know

·
Administrator
19,817 Posts
Also get the Mercury Marine power tune to analyze......and some Lucas engine cleaner.....there's a slew of stuff out there.

I have Marvel Mystery oil...I use it to oil my air tools.

Dribbling brake fluid into the intake of a running motor will also knock out deposits....ATF too, I think. Hell, water was used to decarbon combustion chambers by some old mechanics I used to watch working when I was a child.

Yamaha used to use Chevron as their primary oils and chemical supplier. I think it's Shell now. Suzuki uses Shell for a lot of stuff. Shell uses Lubriplate for the additives in Suzuki's oil products.

It's all just a big "shell game".... Get it? :stickpoke

·
Administrator
19,817 Posts
I'd be curious to see your findings Noel......,I have Ring Free on the shelf...,one thing is for sure it is definitely not pink in colour like Marvel Mistery Oil ?.

Maybe a 'similar' product......,like Coke versus Pepsi?

Brian.
Doesn't smell like it either......

·
Super Moderator
22,321 Posts
This is interesting as I have read a lot of "expert reviews" of these products. Some say the are great, some say don't use them.

I'm looking forward to what Noel can find out.

·
Administrator
19,817 Posts
Chuck, the Yamaha RingFree was actually a product for the Marine side of their business, originally developed for the 2-stoke outboards. 2-stroke piston rings would gum up, sticking in the ring lands causing loss of compression/performance.

Then the motorcycle guys found it did a good job of cleaning combustion chambers. I've used it with excellent results. I believe it is a concentrated dose of Techron (Chevron's gas additive they advertise as thereason to buy their gas).

1 - 20 of 61 Posts