MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the bike all back together and did a trial run to see what it was doing.

The conditions-

1- No fairings on.

2- Ambient temp 70 F

3- Coolant- Distilled water. (gotta flush it out for engine ice)

4- Only running stock fans with muzzy blades and ducted.

Results-

1- Slightly slower temp increase. Rads were warm way before thermostat opened. I attribute this to opening up the bypass holes in the thermostat so coolant circulates through the rads alot sooner.

2- Fans came on at 198 F.

3- Temp continued to rise with fans on and peaked at 214 F

4- Took ten seconds from peak temp to fans off at 194 F

5- Cycle repeated three times with same results.

Tomorrow I will wire in the third fan and put in the engine ice and see what that does. Got a baseline now to work from.

The coated headers made a big difference in the radiant heat. I also insulated the oil fiter and the heat exchanger to prevent header heat from affecting them. I can't remember what you guys are getting for temps and times just sitting at idle but I think it's promising.

Laugh of the day. I got all done and lo and behold there was a bolt and nut lying under the bike. Shit. Finally found where it came from. It was the bolt that fastens the midpipe to the frame. Must'a worked loose and fallen out. Now I've got to go over every friggin bolt in the bike just to check.

Slightly slower temp increase rate

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I don't know why, but I feel like a kid waiting for Santa. Before you change anything, I would like to see if there is a difference from your baseline with the fairings ON.

CAG

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can wait to put the fairings on after I'm done in there. I'd rather have it all working to do a fairing/no fairing check.

It sure ain't 70 in Pit. More like 13. But it's 70 in my shop. How dare you question my data? Course I've got a great headache from sucking fumes. Only the truly fanatical breathe exhaust for the sake of testing.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I made another run today but still without the fairings. I want them on for a final run so MikeF4UK doesn't get on me. But the results were quite promising. With the bike sitting there idling after having reached 212F, fans came on and it plummeted to fans off at 195F. I don't know why the different on temp from the first run.Then leaving it idling I switched on the fans manually and it dropped to 172F and stayed there as long as the fans were on. When I first started it and it got up to around 160F just for the hell of it I switched on the fans and it stabilized at 165F. I don't know why the difference. Maybe getting a jump on it before it got hotter. After shutting down at 172F I turned the fans on for about 45 seconds. Coolant temp went to 145F, the headers were cool enough to touch and the fans and blades were cool.

·
Registered
579 Posts
so is an extra fan the answer:shitfan:, or has Lee been huffing too many fumes??:D
JFWY bro
good find, i am waiting your summer traffic test, then i may follow your lead.
:drummer::yo::guitarist

:ahhh::ahhh::ahhh::ahhh::ahhh::ahhh::ahhh::ahhh::ahhh:
Rockstar Staus!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts