MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought new indicators for the rear and in trying them to see if i needed a flasher relay to slow them down i inadvertantly touched the wires together and have blown something in the left turn signal and it now doesn't work.

Everything else works fine including the right indicator, i have checked the fuses and all are intact. Also checked is the switch and that appers fine. I am assuming there is another fuse/contact that must be broke but i just don't know where.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I don't really know where to start as i can't seem to find a wiring diagram for the life of me.

Cheers folks

·
Administrator
20,053 Posts
Front signal still coming on? That will tell you if your basic circuit is OK.

I take it you are installing LED turn signals?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No front one isn't working and the light on the dash doesn't flash.

Yeah installing led's, tried on the right side and they work ok. Just seem to of shorted something out but don't know what.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just checking now, i so know its gonna be something silly like that. Or i hope it is anyway.

·
Administrator
20,053 Posts
If the bulb and the dash aren't lighting then you have a popped fuse or a loose connection in the circuit supplying power for that side. Possibly burned out relay (don't think so)....or. If I get a chance I'll look at the schematic and see if I can add any other info.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
If it's the relay, well just hope it isn't cause it's part of the dreaded spu box.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah i got the wiring diagram and it shows the Brutale doesn't have relays, everything is run thru the CPU box thingy. I hope its not too terminal. The thing is EVERYTHING else works its just the left indicators and the light on the dash (it does flash when the right one is on tho). My next move is to investigate the switch and see if something has burnt out in there.

If it is the CPU box thingy then it begs the question why didn't the fuse blow first? Surely this is why fuses are installed so to protect the important (read expensive) bits of the electrical system when we do something dumb or something shorts.

I've got the wiring diagram if anyone wants a look at it.

·
Administrator
20,053 Posts
The switch turns on the relay. The relay powers the bulbs. It appears a separate relay for right and left side. Are you SURE the fuse is good? try another one, sometimes they can fail with a hair line crack very hard to see.

I've been studying the schematic and it does not show SPU internal circuits, but if your right side is functioning then the switch is probably not the problem.

Just what wires did you cross??? Does everything ELSE work OK?, because the ground circuit for the turn signals is common to a bunch of stuff.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah tried other fuses and swapped them round and all sorts.

The wiring diagram/schematic doesn't help cos it just shows the wired from the indicators go strait into the CPU. But others are connected on this circuit so you would think something else would of failed if that had. I can't see anything on there that is just solely for the left hand indicator. Tho i'm no expert on wiring diagrams.

I plugged the new LED indicator into the connector to the back one under the seat, it flashed once then nothing. Didn't hear a pop or bang. Getting frustrating now because EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS FINE.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Did you try going back to bulbs? Did you try plugging the non working LED into the working connection on the bike and vice versa?

Make sure the problem is not with the LED first then work your way back.

Just to be clear, the brake lights work, license plate light, and the blinkers on one side all work?

CAG

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The LED aren't actually on the bike yet, i just connected one up to see if it worked ok then bam! Bike is now with stock indicators on.

Yes EVERYTHING else including brake lights, licence plate, right hand indicators, etc works.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Are both the left-hand side bulbs working okay? Have you taken them out, checked that the filament in each of them hasn't been blown? If you have blown them both by somehow overloading them I reckon the dash light wont flash because there would be no closed circuit to make that flash either.

I'm betting there is only one relay within the SPU and it is working okay because the right-hand side works. If the problem isn't that you have blown both bulbs then the left-hand side circuit must be broken somewhere. If you know how to work a voltmeter and can be bothered tracing and checking the wires from the indicators in and out of the SPU, that would be my next step. If not, I would take the Brutie into an auto electrician.

Edit:
Hebs, what state is your lighting right now? My comments above are assuming you have all the original indicators installed and now neither of the left-hand side ones work. You connected an LED to the left-hand side to try it, this is when the problem started, now you have put the original indicator back - is that correct?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah thats correct, its back in original state with stock indicators on. Unfortunatly i don't have a multi meter to test anything so i'm stumped now, i've tried everything simple like the bulbs and done everything withun my know-how. Next step is to try all the simple things again and if its still not right its goin to a sparky on monday.

Thanks for all the help tho peeps, i always wish i could fix things like this myself but alas i am defeated.

Rog: I see your in Perth. My b/f is an Aussie and he grew up in Kalgoorlie, we're thinking of moving back next year probably near Bunbury tho cos i like the coast. Not sure whether to take the brute tho, are there many around near you?

·
Administrator
20,053 Posts
The schematic shows an individual power wire from the SPU internal flasher relay to each side's 2 turn signals. The wire you see in the schematic with multiple components connected is the common ground. Each side's turn signals have their own relay. The switch has 2 power wires in (one for each side) from the SPU and grounds one or the other of those wires turning the desired relay on and flashing the turn signals for that side.

You know the ground circuit at the switch is good, as one side is working. Check for power to the switch from the SPU on the side that doesn't work. If that voltage is present from the SPU to the switch, and the switch is connecting it to ground, but no voltage is coming out of the SPU to the turn signals then the relay has failed.

My schematic show a Light Blue wire color for the left side signals, both to the bulbs and to the switch (separate circuits). Blue wire is common ground. Black with Red tracer wire is right side turn signals. I will presume these colors are standard throughout the MV model range, but I could be wrong.

Volt meter or test light should tell you the story. Good luck.

If the SPU internal relay has gone out you could affect an replacement external relay repair if you have moderate electrical circuit knowledge and skills.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK i think i understand some of that, which bit is the SPU tho? The box under the tank on the air box? Or the one where the fuses are? This seems to be a common confusion on here as to which does what? As i say i'm not a sparky and don't really understand schematics, and assuming we are reading the same one (brutale 750s/ORO) then which bit is No. 1 on the diagram and which bit is the boxto the right of the middle that everything seems to go into.

I would put a link up but i don't know how.

·
Administrator
20,053 Posts
The box on the side with the fuses...that is the Service Power Unit (also sometimes called "CDI"). It contains all the electronics and relays for stuff like the headlights on after engine starts, starter switch becomes meter toggle, flasher relays, etc.

The one on top of the airbox is the ECU controlling fuel injectors and ignition coils.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yeah thats correct, its back in original state with stock indicators on. Unfortunatly i don't have a multi meter to test anything so i'm stumped now, i've tried everything simple like the bulbs and done everything withun my know-how. Next step is to try all the simple things again and if its still not right its goin to a sparky on monday.

Thanks for all the help tho peeps, i always wish i could fix things like this myself but alas i am defeated.

Rog: I see your in Perth. My b/f is an Aussie and he grew up in Kalgoorlie, we're thinking of moving back next year probably near Bunbury tho cos i like the coast. Not sure whether to take the brute tho, are there many around near you?
There are a few in Perth. Perhaps somewhere between 10 and 30 - I really don't know. Rick Gill is the Perth dealer - just down the road from me. Extreme Boys Toyz is the dealer for Bunbury.

Please let us know how you go with sorting out this problem. I'm installing LEDs with resistors on mine today. The last of the parts I ordered for the job arrived on Friday so I'm interested to know what could have caused your problem.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts