MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did a track day and had the suspension set up after the first session of the day. Preload on front was increased a bit and rebound/compression dampening were maxed out to negative setting/least amount of dampening. This got the bike good for the initial setting, but still could have used less dampening. On that track day, and the two consecutive ones afterwards, I got the best feedback and feeling from the front end at the warmest (95F) point of the day (2pm). I'm assuming that is when the fork oil viscosity was at its thinnest, therefore reducing dampening.

I wanted to know if there is a way to increase adjustability (decreasing dampening) on the forks. Will a lower viscosity fork oil help, different oil volume/height, or is a revalve needed? My forks have rebound on one fork and compression on the other. I am by no means running at race pace and would be considered mid pack in a "B" group on a trackday. I just want more feel from the front end without spending a ton of money on new suspension.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm interested in that too as I'm about to change the oil in my forks, which are the same, rebound on one leg and compression on the other.
I know that Eddypro, forum member, changed the oil viscosity and amount in his forks (1078 Brutale) but I don't remember if he mentioned, at the end, the air gap he left in them compared to the standard from the service manual.
Maybe he will see that and give us a clue.

Regards,
Laur.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks Eddy,
I've found your thread and saw you put 5wt oil in them with 80mm air gap. Is that correct?

Regards,
Laur.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I recently did a track day and had the suspension set up after the first session of the day. Preload on front was increased a bit and rebound/compression dampening were maxed out to negative setting/least amount of dampening. This got the bike good for the initial setting, but still could have used less dampening. On that track day, and the two consecutive ones afterwards, I got the best feedback and feeling from the front end at the warmest (95F) point of the day (2pm). I'm assuming that is when the fork oil viscosity was at its thinnest, therefore reducing dampening.

I wanted to know if there is a way to increase adjustability (decreasing dampening) on the forks. Will a lower viscosity fork oil help, different oil volume/height, or is a revalve needed? My forks have rebound on one fork and compression on the other. I am by no means running at race pace and would be considered mid pack in a "B" group on a trackday. I just want more feel from the front end without spending a ton of money on new suspension.
So you want the front to be even softer, and dive even more ? Why wind in more pre-load then ?
This thing would be bouncing around like a pogo stick.

Tell us what the bike is doing that feels wrong.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
That Is what I Did ,Personal preference at the end of the day ,I find this works for Me,but you might need a different setup.

cheers eddy

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pre-load was initially set up with to much sag for my weight, so it was increased a bit. Also, the track had a few hard braking zones to compensate for. Even with the adjusters fully out, suspension was still "slow" to react. Slow to rise and hard to compress in regards to dampening. I assume that maybe very dirty fork oil, or previous owner replaced with higher weight oil, therefore reducing adjustability. Just wanted to get some ideas on what it might be and how it can be improved.

I ride the bike both on the street and about 5 trackdays a year. Set up is decent for the track, but front end feedback is not the greatest. I get the best feel when fork oil is warmed up well. Street riding is a bit "jarring" over uneven/bumpy pavement.

So you want the front to be even softer, and dive even more ? Why wind in more pre-load then ?
This thing would be bouncing around like a pogo stick.

Tell us what the bike is doing that feels wrong.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts