MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
King of Bling
9,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi Guys

Inconel Race Exhaust systems !..

Does anyone have any knowledge about this material ?..

I'm thinking about having an exhaust system made for my bike, and someone happen to suggest "Inconel" as a material..

I know sweet Fanny Adams about this material and would like to know what can happen with age and heat.. Does this material discolour with heat and is it heavier than Titanium ?

Those of you with race team experience might have come across this material before or know of someone who has and can help out with some advise..

Any advise would be appreciated !..

What is the positives about using Inconel ?

And what are the negatives about using this material in an exhaust application..

Cheers for your help.

John

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Inconel better for heat than stainless and has better resistance to corrosion and chemicals. It is expensive and doesn't seem to weld as nicely as stainless. We've used it a lot for pipe work in our chemical plants

·
Registered
76 Posts
We use Inconel 718/925 for some applications. It's a Nickel based alloy that has high strength at high temperatures and is corrosion resistant.
It's not a cheap material and it's not easy to machine. It work harderns as it's cut as can become as hard, if not harder than the cutting tools. It can also warp slightly when machined too quickly.

Here is a link to the manufacturers datasheet for it. It's an alloy created by Special Metals http://www.specialmetals.com/documents/Incoloy alloy 925.pdf

·
Registered
517 Posts
John
Inconel is used a lot on exhaust manifolds on turbo applications, where the EGT [exhaust gas temperatures] are huge c900 degrees. I think that you will see almost zero benefits on a naturally aspirated 12500 rpm engine.

F1 engines are operating at huge compression ratios and rev ceilings and of course cost is no consequence to an F1 team.

Allan

·
King of Bling
9,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Inconel better for heat than stainless and has better resistance to corrosion and chemicals. It is expensive and doesn't seem to weld as nicely as stainless. We've used it a lot for pipe work in our chemical plants
We use Inconel 718/925 for some applications. It's a Nickel based alloy that has high strength at high temperatures and is corrosion resistant.
It's not a cheap material and it's not easy to machine. It work harderns as it's cut as can become as hard, if not harder than the cutting tools. It can also warp slightly when machined too quickly.

Here is a link to the manufacturers datasheet for it. It's an alloy created by Special Metals http://www.specialmetals.com/documents/Incoloy alloy 925.pdf
Cheers guys for all your replies and information..

I've been offered a reasonable deal ( not a good deal, but a reasonable one, if you get my drift) on an Inconel system ..

It is made of Nickel, chrome and Titanium mix.

What I'm afraid of is that it will discolour with heat, and I have been told it will go a horrible grey/greenie colour..

Is this correct, or have I been misinformed? …. Can one of you guys confirm this please..

Apparently what I’ve been lead to believe is that’s its heavier than Titanium, but won’t be susceptible to fracture fatigue like titanium..

Cheers Guys

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
inconel is never a "pretty" metal. I don't think i've seen it polished but it heats kinda brown and dull. I would go with polished thinwall stainless personally, or Ti if you'd like to do something special. Care to divulge some additional details of this project? it might make it a little easier to make a recommendation.

F1 header in inconel 625

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Yes it will go brown/greenish/goldish/something...with use, ugly in one word. It can be polished to high gloss like stainless steel. The only real positive is temperature and chemical resistance. F1 teams use only because of of temperatures, everything else would simply melt.

You don't need that much heat resistance, titanium is enough on bikes.

Density is around 8 g/cm3 and titanium is 4.7 g/cm3. If you are building a Superleggera...?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I’ve used Inconel tons for heat shields but never as a primary material. I know a lot of guys use it as a primary material on exhaust valves. It is very strong, light weight and fantastic resistance to heat. Just like JDS stated, the material turns brown in places where it gets really hot. Nothing pretty about it but it works remarkable well. The heat shields reduce engine bay temps on my GT by more than 50%.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Inconel was and is getting used on gas turbines for an example. Because of the requirement of higher turbine inlet temperatures to raise the efficiencies. It reaches the highest firmness at around 1050 to 1150 (roughly) Celsius, after that it will get rapidly weak. To drill holes in it is one big challenge, slow speed, tons of pressure and sparkling water to refresh the drill bit. Any slippage of the drill guides to heating and inconel gets hard as glass. Believe me I drilled thousands of cooling air holes and crack end holes into this crap. Heat treatment is mandatory after welding in multiple heating stages in gas ovens only. Right the color is nothing really desirable on bikes and the advantage of the high temperature performance would be never used on bikes. And at those temperatures would Your bike simply burn and melt. We talk here about red hot glowing at the melting point of steel.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I work for a company that builds parts for Industrial Gas Turbine engines, having said that alot of parts are Inconel or at least Nickle based.

Inconel that I have worked on is brittle and very hard. Handles HIGH heat before deforming in any way, can be cooled easier than most metals with steam or air under pressure. It does not seem to be as light as Titanium and is not as "pretty a metal as it corrodes very quickly even in air.

·
King of Bling
9,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doh !

Cheers once again guys for all your advice and help..

With all my dithering and hesitation I've been pipped to the post on the opportunity to buy an unused Ex-works system destined for last year's Carlos Checa bike..

I wanted to install this system on my bike, but was afraid that the manifold fittings that needed modification would be an issue (the fixing holes would need to be elongated) and the appearance of the exhaust would look naff after a couple of years of road use.

All this is now redundant as somebody else with bigger balls and deeper pockets has purchased the system.

I'd like to thank everybody for their advice and PMs on this thread.

Cheers Guys.
John

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Unless you've had a failure with some other material, you dont need inconel.

·
Registered
337 Posts
It's expensive stuff for sure. The McLaren F1 supercar has an inconel exhaust system. Read somewhere that it was ~$15,000 just for the system. :jsm:

·
King of Bling
9,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's expensive stuff for sure. The McLaren F1 supercar has an inconel exhaust system. Read somewhere that it was ~$15,000 just for the system. :jsm:
This system costs 9000 Euros for the 1098R.. Now everybody knows I like my "Bling", but even I'm not that feckin mental..

I offered what I could afford to pay for this system at the time, but was unfortunately beaten by a bigger Bling whore..

This system would have looked cool on my Ducati, but what the hell, it wasn’t meant to be

:violin:

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Than, what you need is a full titanium system with clear coat protection over it. It will never oxidize(turn blue) and will have nice brown finish for years. Check Akrapovic silencer on MotoGP Yamaha M1 or some motocross bikes.
Any more info, PM.

·
King of Bling
9,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Than, what you need is a full titanium system with clear coat protection over it. It will never oxidize(turn blue) and will have nice brown finish for years. Check Akrapovic silencer on MotoGP Yamaha M1 or some motocross bikes.
Any more info, PM.
Hey Miha..

Titanium blueing is sexy :naughty:

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts