MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious as to what features make the 1000cc mill put out 30 more hp, aside from the obvious things like added displacement and revised intakes/different exhaust, where is all that power coming from? (is the f4's exhaust really that much more efficient?).

I have a tuner in upstate ny that pulled another 20hp out of thin air with my harley, just by dialing it in right, what sort of gains are being found with the 910r engine?

Why is the redline only at 12K? The engine seems to have the same if not very similar componets as a f4, but we loose 700rpm, is it the cam profiles or is the bike just tuned on the soft side?

I also noticed that my electic fans dont kick on untill 190 degrees, which is certainly a cause for it to run so damn hot. Has anyone patched into the ECU to tell the fans to come on sooner? If so, what kind of a difference did it make?

Thanks in advance :moped:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aprilia said:
If you told the fans to come on sooner, they'd be on all the time.
How do you figure? MY electric fans dont seem to start untill 190 degrees, which is very late. This is one of the first modifications people do on computer controlled cars, the manufactures usually have the fans turn on at 180 so the cars pollute less. BUt if you set them to start up at 160, the vehicle will still reach operating temp but run cooler overall. Heat is the byproduct and enemy of horsepower, start the fans at a lower temp than 190, say 170, and there should be a noticable difference.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Some Guy said:
I am curious as to what features make the 1000cc mill put out 30 more hp, aside from the obvious things like added displacement and revised intakes/different exhaust, where is all that power coming from? (is the f4's exhaust really that much more efficient?).

I have a tuner in upstate ny that pulled another 20hp out of thin air with my harley, just by dialing it in right, what sort of gains are being found with the 910r engine?

Why is the redline only at 12K? The engine seems to have the same if not very similar componets as a f4, but we loose 700rpm, is it the cam profiles or is the bike just tuned on the soft side?

I also noticed that my electic fans dont kick on untill 190 degrees, which is certainly a cause for it to run so damn hot. Has anyone patched into the ECU to tell the fans to come on sooner? If so, what kind of a difference did it make?

Thanks in advance :moped:
A couple of years back every one wanted the 1000 engine in the Brutale, Castiglioni said they had one and it was "too much" hence the 910, MV have had dozens of different cc engines, the 910 has been designed for low to midrange torque, I suspect there are little bits of all sorts in there to stop it making big hp numbers, probably cams and cam timing for a start, maybe also the ecu is holding it back as well with the ignition timing. On the max rpm one of the differences between a 2000 and evo 2/3 F4 was the gearing to the alternator, on later F4 bikes they slowed the alternator so they could increase the engine rpm, maybe the Brutale is the same?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Some Guy, you've been riding Hardleys too long man. The 910 R has enough HP, any more and it would be worse off, it's already hard enough to keep the front down. Add more and you wouldnt be using it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Triple Seven said:
Some Guy, you've been riding Hardleys too long man. The 910 R has enough HP, any more and it would be worse off, it's already hard enough to keep the front down. Add more and you wouldnt be using it.
true that...

Bike is doing awesome second gear power wheelies on heavy acceleration...

btw, modern 1000cc jap bikes, actually have limiters in the first few gears to prevent them from doing back flips..

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
airfuel said:
Your Harley must have been very sick for you to get 20HP just by dialing it in. What did he do?
Started it up! :laughing :laughing: Sorry couldn't resist that. :tongue:

·
Registered
456 Posts
It's hard enough with the 910 engine to keep the front wheel down. It's also a chore to hang onto the bars in triple digits being naked. Anymore HP would be a waste not to mention scary :shitfan:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
airfuel said:
Your Harley must have been very sick for you to get 20HP just by dialing it in. What did he do?

The bike had 108 hp and 107 lbs of torque with the engine and exhaust modifications I did to it and the harley download. He mapped each cylinder individually in 250 rpm increments and changed the air filter to bing the bike up to 125 rwhp and 124rwtq. The bike was not sick, it was just a very conservative tune, rich like most of the factory downloads. Maybe you know Joe in Mechanicsville, he's probably the best on the east coast at what he does, the guy ususally get an extra 10 hp over most tuners out there, not just a full throttle tune and a baseline, he's excellent.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Triple Seven said:

Are you kidding me? Ive been riding all kinds of bikes since I was a little kid, and there is no such thing as too much hp or too much brakes. If you fellas are having a hard time riding the bike, I dont know what to tell you. When I was 19 I bought a 1991 vamaha v-max and immediately put a Kerker header on it along with upgrading to flatslides, lots of people would say that bike had too much power, but it never seemed that way to me. We have an FXR in the stable with a aerodine turbocharger, it puts 135hp and 150lbs of torque to the ground, nad this is at at whopping 3,000 rpm, and it redlines at 6,200, out of an 80" dinosaur of a harley motor....it will flip over also if you dont know how to ride it.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
airfuel said:
Sounds great, Would love to see the graphs and A/F printouts! :yo: :drummer:
And changing air filter, just the element or a new assembly?
I had originally put the harley hi flow element, its a basic k&n assembley. Joe used the arlen ness "big sucker", its about twice the size and just flowed much better. I designed the engine, figuativley speaking, as I picked every part that I threw at it specifically. CNC ported cylinder heads, HP inc 53mm throttle body (stock was only 41mm), 652 lift gear drive cams, forged roller rockers, 103" or 1690cc stroker flywheels and big bore cylinders, forged arias pistons, 10.5 to 1 comoression......one of the best running, naturally aspirated harley's I have ever ridden and Ive been working in the biz for over 6yrs.

At 1080lbs with my fat ass on it and 40 degree weather, my first time on a legal dragstrip (english town) I ran a 12.84 at 103.61mph with a shitty 2.06 60ft and a .257 reaction time, I think the bike would done low 12's to high 11's with more practice and a seat that didnt send me onto the back fender each time I left the line.

I sold the bike 3 weeks ago to pick up the Brutale (I guess i should take it off my signature), and I gave the new owner my dyno charts, but ill call him tonight and have him fax them over, its really impressive.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Back to the subject at hand, is anyone aware of the difference in cam profiles on the 1000cc engine and ours? If more RPM is achieved out of the 910 mill will pistons and valves collide? Correct me if I am wrong, but both bikes share the same crankshaft, its just the bore that allows for the extra displacement, right? Has anyone patched into the ecu to have the fan's start up earlier?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Some Guy said:
I had originally put the harley hi flow element, its a basic k&n assembley. Joe used the arlen ness "big sucker", its about twice the size and just flowed much better.
O.K. Now I see how he got that much HP. Bigger air intakes is just a "little" more than a dial in. :rolleyes: (still good though)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
airfuel said:
O.K. Now I see how he got that much HP. Bigger air intakes is just a "little" more than a dial in. :rolleyes: (still good though)
No, I didnt change the intake at that time, it was already done, just the filter. Oh wait, i see what you mean, yeah the bike was severly modified but the larger air filter (Joe's only mechanical modification) picked up 8 hp all by itself. I actually could have gotten more out of it with a slightly smaller diameter throttle body as the one I chose slowed down airflow a bit, it was so ported that the velocity wasnt what it could have been.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts