MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Funny that you mention it Crashlow :)
My 7 year old unwillingly is always calling him like that. And I always say he is so right :D

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Interesting interview. I hope Ducati gets the bike sorted out; nothing would make me happier than to see Ducati on the podium again.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Ya know, it annoys me a little bit ..... we whinge when there are no british riders represented in the various race series, then when we get there we whinge they never get a proper chance because they're not on factory machines, etc., etc., and all the time whether on a factory bike or not, we seem to have a need to continually knock them.

I personally wish Crutchlow, Smith, Redding, et al the very best of luck and would long to see a day when the podium only hears "God Save the Queen" played out ....... The one thing you can say for the Brits out their - they've earned their places on the grid rather than bought them (or got them to keep the media or specific sales markets happy) .......

We used to moan about series dominated by American riders, then Italian riders, currently Spanish riders - we have Brit riders out their in the premier race series - lets get behind them and stop moaning about others ......

·
King of Bling
9,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Malcolm .. I’m not really patriotic like yourself, but I totally respect your views on the British contingent in Moto GP.

It doesn’t matter much to me what country each rider represents, I look at it from a different prospective and I rather support them for their abilities, true grit, entertainment factor and to a very small degree, their personalities.

Cal defiantly deserves his place in Moto GP as you said, but pound for pound, I think Dovi is a better class act.. We’ll see who comes out on top in the Ducati camp next year. Cal is a good rider, but I personally can't see him ever becoming a World champ.. The current crop of top Moto GP racers is to strong and unfortunately I don’t put Cal in that camp..

I was surprised about Smiths performance towards the end of the year, and had to eat my words, because at the start of the season, I was of the opinion that he had been promoted beyond his abilities.. I had to eat humble pie on that prediction. You can argue that Smith took Cal's place at Yamaha, but I don't think so.. Smith did enough in 2013 and improved his game to warrant his second year at Yamaha.

I hope Redding does well next year, because he’s good to watch, a good fighter and brings a bit of character to the paddock… I’m not sure ( well that’s not strictly true.. as I am sure), he’s in the same class as Marquez, but then again, he hasn’t been given the same equipment to prove himself. I would say his target next year is to beat his team mate, Smith and Pol Espargaro.

In the past, I’ve always been a fan of the American riders.. King Kenny, Fast Freddie and Steady Eddie.. It was a shame that Rainey’s career was cut short, because he had so much more to give to the sport..

Whether one follows an individual, a fellow country man or a particular motorcycle brand, lets hope next season brings some close racing..

·
Super Moderator
22,472 Posts
It is interesting what he said about weight. For instance if my racing friend Dave an did get on the same equipment, he is going to kill me because, simply put, he is 80 pounds lighter than me. Momentum is your enemy when slowing and accelerating. Horsepower and torque can only do so much.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I always thought going to Ducati was the right move for him given his options and the circumstances, I read elsewhere that it sounded like he'd have had an option to stay at Tech 3 but it would have meant cutting Bradley's contract early and he didn't think that fair and nor do I, I think Bradley has earn't his seat for another year, that and Cal would have been demoted to No2 which it sounds like will be Bradley's position again?

I hope he and Ducati do well, I hope he beats Dovi and I hope he and Ducati can get themselves into a fighting position but unless Ducati manage to pull the wool over everyone's eyes like they did 6yrs ago then I can't see him being champion.

As for the weight thing I suppose the perfect argument against that would be if it makes that much difference then why isn't Dani a 6 times champion? Or is it his weight advantage that puts him dicing at the front and not his ability?

·
Super Moderator
22,472 Posts
When we aer talking tenths of seconds per lap making the difference, every advantage helps.

·
King of Bling
9,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dani's weight or the lack of it can also acts as a double edged sword..

His small size can also be seen as a disadvantage when it comes to braking into tight corners. The truth is this weight advantage may not necessarily mean it will give him a definate edge over other riders, and this advantage in weight is also regarded by some as a disadvantage too.

Some people believe that a persons body weight reflects their body strength, and great strenght is required to overcome the forces that effect the rider from braking, acellerating and manoeuvring the bike around in a MotoGP race, and people believe it would be harder for a smaller guy like Dani to muscle a MotoGP bike around the track for the full race distance.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I remember all the press and media said this when he came into motoGP, that's he's not strong enough to handle the bike but that opinion dropped away when he proved he was quick. Looking back though at the fact he's not managed to win a championship maybe there is some truth to it?
In the past but not so much now, his Achilles heel was that most could out brake him, you could attribute that to the transfer or lack of, of weight over the front?
In which case then Cal and Val don't want a weight penalty added so they can become champion, just so that they can beat Dani? :laughing:
Anyhow what do we know, we're all just armchair racers :laughing:

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
A nice read. Hope ducati can produce a good bike this year.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Nah producing a good bike is hard work - they should go back to the formula that got them a world title - Crap bike with a Magician riding it ;)

They've already got one half of that formula in place :laughing:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts