MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a well-priced 2016 TV, but I am concerned about the relatively sporty position of the footpegs compared to other touring bikes. I have stiff joints, and my knees were screaming bloody murder when I rode a 2018 Triumph Tiger 800 XRx from San Francisco to Long Beach recently. Judging from cycle-ergo.com, the TV's footpeg position doesn't look any more favorable than the Tiger's, so I'm wondering if anyone has had problems with legroom discomfort, and how they were able to remedy it. I read about removing the rubber inserts, but I'm curious about other fixes if that isn't enough.

The bike I am looking at has frame sliders, so I'm wondering if I can just use those as makeshift highway pegs when I need to stretch out. It doesn't look like MFW makes the Vario pegs for the TV, but maybe some other company makes lower or adjustable pegs? I'm reluctant to raise the seat since I already may not be able to flat-foot the bike at 5'11" with a ~32-33" inseam, although I never had a problem with the height of the BMW 1200 GS.

It could also be that I'm worrying about something that won't even be an issue, so if you have long legs and don't get cramped knees on the TV, I'd also welcome that feedback.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I am 6’ or 183cm and I did more then few long rides and never had any issue. Actually only at the begining of the riding season, if I ride multiple days with 400+ km then my butt hurts. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
182cm here, and bad knees ;) But I haven't had any issues with knee comfort on the TV so far. And I recently rode 2000 km in 4 days.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I’m tallish (6’3”) with long legs (around 35” inseem) and currently have found TV pretty comfortable. There is no pressure on hips, although knees are quite bent. But that can be solved by stretching legs every half hour or so.
What can you do is look for peg lowering kit if knees are big issue

·
Administrator
20,534 Posts
Welcome to the family @flynnstigator !!

Where are you located in these Unites States? Many MV dealers have test rides available. I know DucShop here in my area does.

How about introducing yourself in the "New Members" section?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I use my frame sliders as foot rests. Works great.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
509 Posts
It could also be that I'm worrying about something that won't even be an issue, so if you have long legs and don't get cramped knees on the TV, I'd also welcome that feedback.
I have a 30 inch inseam; my knees are good for about an hour and a half of highway riding before getting stiff and/or sore. Standing on the pegs and/or dangling my feet helps. But, in the end I have to stop and walk it off.
My experience with knee discomfort could be from 50 plus years of motorcycle riding/racing...

Bottom line, no matter what is said here, your experience will vary....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! It sounds like I might not have a comfort problem and I can just put my feet on the sliders if I do. The insurance quote came back surprisingly reasonable at only slightly more than my old Yamaha FZ6R, so I'm running out of reasons not to buy this bike. If I do, I'll introduce myself in the new members section.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I’m tallish (6’3”) with long legs (around 35” inseem) and currently have found TV pretty comfortable. There is no pressure on hips, although knees are quite bent. But that can be solved by stretching legs every half hour or so.
I wouldn't do that If you like corners! You'll be scraping pegs. They are already pretty low.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Pretty much same frame as me!

Only issue I had with TV is my knees touching the plastic exhaust vents.

I've fitted the CNC touring pegs from my stradale which gives the same clearance as the standard pegs but are slimmer so you get about an inch more leg room.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would love to see those pegs in life. Although I'm pretty comfortable in 1.5h ride, extra knee room is always welcome

·
Registered
41 Posts
@Figifister , I wouldn't say pegs for TV are low...they are much higher than looks, and another inch would not harm as I have suspicion that @flynnstigator is prioritizing comfort over knee-down :D

·
Registered
429 Posts
It's Not a cruising bike it's a fast tourer... I guess you haven't gotten into some really aggressive lean angles on a banked Road. I drag the pegs almost every time I ride it on the road I come home on. But I fly everywhere and I have my panniers full so it's heavy. The pegs are the perfect height to get right on the edge of the sticky part of a dual compound tires. I wouldn't change a thing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I’m still chicken pal 😁

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
18,000 miles over two and a half years, most of those on European tours. 6' with 32" inseam and no issues with knee discomfort, I was 55-56 years old at the time, no knee issues but a slightly dodgy right hip. Now on a Multistrada 1260 which has even more room.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had to pass on buying the bike after the check engine light came on during the test ride. It also won't start in gear when the clutch is pulled in, which gave me a fun little time when I killed it coming off the line up an incline and couldn't get it started again until I shifted into neutral (the drivers behind me were understanding enough not to honk, thankfully).

I think I read on this forum that refusing to start in gear signifies a clutch sensor problem. I told him I was still interested but only if the issues were identified and fixed.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I had to pass on buying the bike after the check engine light came on during the test ride. It also won't start in gear when the clutch is pulled in, which gave me a fun little time when I killed it coming off the line up an incline and couldn't get it started again until I shifted into neutral (the drivers behind me were understanding enough not to honk, thankfully).
Yes, sounds like there is at least a clutch sensor issue. That being said, with the symptom, I never saw the check engine light coming. There might be something else.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts