MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the F4-Senna yesterday at the DC bike show and was impressed with the quality of the machine. The wheels are un-believable on that bike. In general the fit and finish are flawless.

I am currently thinking of getting a Ducati 1098, but have to say after seeing this bike I am not sure what I am going to do. I don't know that much about the MVs. I know there are lighter faster bikes (I have an 06ZX10R), but the MV is a different kind of machine altogether.

What makes me nervous about MV is the lack of dealerships in my area and I've read posts from owners who have had problems with their bikes.

Are these bikes reliable and put together as well as they look? Are they mechanically sorted out so that for the most part everything works as it should? Are there any issues with this particular model such as throttle surging during on-off throttle application? I guess I am just looking for some kind of feedback from others concerning what these bikes are like to live with. My ridding would be primarily back-road sport riding with leathers at a sane ridding pace. I've had a few sport bikes (GSXR1000, CBR929, ZX10R).

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
Asides from the fuel leaks, slipped cyclinder sleeves, and occassional stuck throttle, you should be okay as long as you religiously follow the 6,000 valve adjustment when need to be done by an authorized dealer or your warranty will be void. ;)

Seriously, I think the F4 is competitve with the current crop of Japanense 4 -espeically if your on back-roads. And the MV adds a level of front end confidence that few other bikes have. The basic design of the MV has been around since 2000. Around that time, there were reliability issues but I think the 1000s are almost as good as the Japanese bikes.

One quirk with the 1000 is the abrupt throttle but from what I hear the F4R (2007 model) is an improvement over the F4S in terms of throttle and brakes. A common modification is Power Commander which also smooths things out.

So, would the closest dealer to you be in North Carolina or Pennsylvania?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pa

Well, from the MV dealer locator it looks like Philadelphia would be closest to me. I only saw two shops in PA. The second one was in Scranton which would be too far away for me.

By the way, were you kidding about "slipped cyclinder sleeves"? I can deal with fuel leaks, but I wouldn't want to have the engine taken apart!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
Senna it is!!!

2wheelDynamics said:
I saw the F4-Senna yesterday at the DC bike show and was impressed with the quality of the machine. The wheels are un-believable on that bike. In general the fit and finish are flawless.

I am currently thinking of getting a Ducati 1098, but have to say after seeing this bike I am not sure what I am going to do. I don't know that much about the MVs. I know there are lighter faster bikes (I have an 06ZX10R), but the MV is a different kind of machine altogether.

What makes me nervous about MV is the lack of dealerships in my area and I've read posts from owners who have had problems with their bikes.

Are these bikes reliable and put together as well as they look? Are they mechanically sorted out so that for the most part everything works as it should? Are there any issues with this particular model such as throttle surging during on-off throttle application? I guess I am just looking for some kind of feedback from others concerning what these bikes are like to live with. My ridding would be primarily back-road sport riding with leathers at a sane ridding pace. I've had a few sport bikes (GSXR1000, CBR929, ZX10R).

Thanks
I am a happy Senna owner!! I have around 5350 kms and no mechanical probs. just a bad radiator that leaked (replaced under warranty). But you can not or should not compare italian bike over a japanese. I am a MV minded guy, Ducati would do the Job aswell. Japanese bikes not at all. They do not have any spirit. Anyway. the new Duc looks awsome but the finishing is not like the F4. it's more japanese. The biggest difference is the engine. A 4 cyl. compared to a 2cyl. is a big difference. both fun for sure! I'll say go for the Senna, no doubt about that!

Let me know your choice...

Ragards,
Helmut
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
2wheelDynamics said:
Well, from the MV dealer locator it looks like Philadelphia would be closest to me. I only saw two shops in PA. The second one was in Scranton which would be too far away for me.

By the way, were you kidding about "slipped cyclinder sleeves"? I can deal with fuel leaks, but I wouldn't want to have the engine taken apart!
Yes, I was about all the stuff I mentioned before. Actually, that came from my days on the Porche Boxster board. In terms the fuel leak, the major cause of that is really owner error. If you take off the gas tank, it's good to have someone help you because if you reinstall it incorrectly, you stand a good chance of crushing the fuel coupling. Some companys like eMoto offer couplings made of steel.

Brakes, the MV's brakes are good but they just don't have the initial bite of the Brembos on an R1 (my old bikes). But I think the F4R would be similar (i've never ridden the F4R).

Also, you can get a smoking deal on a 2006 F4S and probably get a few hundred off the 2007 F4R. I think some dealers have been discounting their 2006 models from $21,700 to close to $19K. Since you're a bit a ways from your dealership, you could probably shop around to see who'd give you the best deal.

I first got into MV in early 2000. At the time I was lucky because my closest dealer was 90 miles away. I use to either ride my big their or rent a uHaul for $20 a day for services. I think the only down side is the service intervals aren't as good as the Japanese bikes. There's the first service (w/ valve inspection), the 3,700 service (oil change), and the 7,500 service (w/ valve inspection/adjustment). I normally just do the 3,700 service myself. Also, price of service varies. The first service in LA, CA is like $600 but in Tucson, AZ it's only around $400. So, you may want to call the closest dealer to see what it's like.

The MV is a special motorcycle. Yeah, it's unique and got soul. But from a strictly rider's persective, the front end feedback and confidence it inspires is really like nothing out there. BTW, this is my 3rd MV. :)

I think the 1098 is also going to be a good bike -especially for the money. Lotsa torque and Ducati handling. For the price, you can't go wrong with the 1098. The one draw back, if it matter for your, is that the 1098 will become a very common bike in a few years. Exclusiveness is important to some people but not to other. I just thought I'd point that out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Throttle

Helmut,

do you have any throttle abruptness with your bike?

I looked at last years Master Bike shootout and saw that the MV got the single fastest lap even though the ZX10 had the fastest average. Very impressive.

Another question, do you know what the weight of your Senna is, either dry or wet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Allan,

thanks for the feedback. If it were an outright cost per performance type metric that determined my decision, then I wouldn't be considering MV. For me exclusivity is a big deal, but even more than that is the quality and attention to detail as evidenced by fit and finish which is of primary interest to me.

The 1098 is a nice bike and Ducati has put some high-end suspension on it. But, and its a big but, when I looked at the bikes on the floor yesterday I was disappointed by the cheapness of some of the pieces used on the bike. The clip-ons have a very cheap look to them as do some other areas of the bike. It is a very nice bike with some very nice engineering solutions. But when I looked at the MV afterwards the MV had a significantly higher quality finish to it.

Looks like I'll have to go back to the show tomorrow and look at the bikes again. Life is tough sometimes!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
You've seen a 1098 in the States!??! :jsm: Wow. I thought they wouldn't be in showrooms until the dealer unveiling on 2/9 and 2/10.

But some board members also posted that thee quality and fit & finish on the 1098 wasn't all there. I think they mentioned the key guard wasn't really flush with the gas tank. I'm not going to in the market for a new bike for a few year (first child is due in July) but I'm anxious to see how the 1098 looks in person...or if a 1198 comes out in a year or two.

I really don't think you'll be disappointed in the MV but the drives for the services may be the tough part....unless you like taking long rides. :)

Also, if you want to spice up your MV, take a look at some of the goodies from eMoto: http://www.emotouk.com/mvagusta.htm They're in the UK but I ordered from them on 12/25 and got my parts on 1/9 (about two weeks).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
1098? Fit and finish, what do you expect for $15K? They will not compare to an MV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
Don't be put off by postings of minor problems. They are just that minor. People can't post for ever about how much they love their machines, so are inquisitive as to what others are doing or have experienced. It is all part of the love affair.
As for fit and finish, MV's really are at the top of the tree.Beautifully executed. I have also seen a 1098, yes great machine, but I would say a comparable MV is as good or better in fit and finnish.
If you love an MV and get one you won't be dissapointed.
I had a CBR1000RR and Honda are meant to have great fit and finish etc, well it did, but really not in MV 's league. Of course the MV is way more expensive, but I sold the Honda, get the picture?
Have fun with your choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
2wheelDynamics said:
Helmut,

do you have any throttle abruptness with your bike?

I looked at last years Master Bike shootout and saw that the MV got the single fastest lap even though the ZX10 had the fastest average. Very impressive.

Another question, do you know what the weight of your Senna is, either dry or wet?
I do not have any throttle abruptness. The specs I know is 190 kg dry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
I also went to DC to see the 1098 and felt that the finish was decent for the 15K asking price. It really isn't in the same league as the MV and the price reflects it. The '07 Senna is stunning and currently there are no production builders that can match the detailing at any price. The only Ducati that seemed to have the same level of finish was the Desmosedici.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
i live in DC and the small maintenance items i perform myself........i stock up on oil and filters, etc. so that i have a supply.....i did have the first service done by the dealer and drove to the dealer i purchased from which is 4 1/2 hours away which is a pain in the rear but it is well worth it........the exclusiveness of the bike just speaks for itself! i am going to try FBF next go round to the dealer since it is only 2 hours away....but i have not had any major issues with my MV and i have owned for about 8 months now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
You've seen a 1098 in the States!??! :jsm: Wow. I thought they wouldn't be in showrooms until the dealer unveiling on 2/9 and 2/10.
But some board members also posted that thee quality and fit & finish on the 1098 wasn't all there.
her in Italy is already available even though only on Jan. the 19th will be "unveiled". My MV dealer (that's Ducati too) told when we got our Brutale he already sold 60 and had one in showroom. The only problem for that 1098 was being there between 2 F4 1000 R, one on each side! :)
Believe me, nothing really comparable! Total quality of fairings, fuel tank, assembly, rear swing arm weldings on MV are light years beyond. Seen side by side any single compontent makes MV a bike from another planet! My choice is still MV all life long!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
2wheelDynamics said:
Helmut,
I looked at last years Master Bike shootout and saw that the MV got the single fastest lap even though the ZX10 had the fastest average. Very impressive.
During '06 masterbike the MV could also have been the one with the best average if only the fastest tester (who had the best timing on MV the 1st day, BTW) had not crashed the bike on his last lap! Broken leg and hand and no possibility to complete the last session on MV, so his timings on MV were not used (as required by master bike rules) and the Kawasaki won the 1000cc tournament. Coinsidering partial timings not used the MV would have been the fastest in average too... This is what I got from 2006 Master Bike DVD. :wtf:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,255 Posts
there are a growing number of owners here in the area. so like solo said, if you need help with minor and some major stuff you can get help. the closest dealer is ferracci and you can take it there for it's service(s) if you want. i've helped xman with some little things on his senna. pretty simple. after all...it's just a bike. :later: :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
I have owned just about everything. You have never experienced pride of ownership until you pull into your garage to see your MV waiting for you. You will be out in the middle of nowhere and find crowds around you wanting to discuss your bike, waiting for you to turn the key so they can hear the music from the motor. If you own something else, it will be the same synthetic ownership experience you've had in the past. I've said it before, but there is nothing like an MV. I have owned mine for just over a year and find my admiration ever increasing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Deposit

style_one said:
there are a growing number of owners here in the area. so like solo said, if you need help with minor and some major stuff you can get help. the closest dealer is ferracci and you can take it there for it's service(s) if you want. i've helped xman with some little things on his senna. pretty simple. after all...it's just a bike. :later: :)

I just put a deposit down on the F4-Senna. I am pumped up about the bike. I appreciate your offer for help. Once I get the bike, maybe we can get a group to ride in the area. I like to take rides in the backroads using a GPS mounted to the top triple clamp and explore new areas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
2wheelDynamics said:
I just put a deposit down on the F4-Senna. I am pumped up about the bike. I appreciate your offer for help. Once I get the bike, maybe we can get a group to ride in the area. I like to take rides in the backroads using a GPS mounted to the top triple clamp and explore new areas.
Congrats! Who are you buying it from? Let us know when you get it so we can hook up. I think that makes at least 5 MV's in the general area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,387 Posts
2wheelDynamics said:
I just put a deposit down on the F4-Senna. I am pumped up about the bike. I appreciate your offer for help. Once I get the bike, maybe we can get a group to ride in the area. I like to take rides in the backroads using a GPS mounted to the top triple clamp and explore new areas.
Wow, congrats!!! :)

So, does this mean you're not getting the 1098?
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top