MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Inspect the little pin that the side stand spring link attaches to.....

IT WEARS and when it fails, your motor dies instantly....... If you're in traffic you're

FUCKED!!!!!

If you get to the side of the road safely......you are staying there, unless you can tie the

side stand up.......you'll need someone to hold the bike while you tie it up unless you

have 4, 8" zip ties......

Take 3 of the zip ties and connect them in a circle, leave them as long as possible, take

the 4th zip tie and loop it through the loop formed by the other 3, AND THE BOTTOM

OF THE SIDE STAND..... tighten the 4th zip on the side stand....

Now, sitting on the bike, raise the side stand with the 3 zip tie loop and loop it over the

foot peg as far out as possible.......and tighten the 3 zip ties

IF YOU GO TOO FAR INBOARD THE CHAIN WILL CUT THE ZIP TIES......:jsm:

when you get home......don't forget you have to cut the zip ties to put the stand down

Me, I carry a knife

Mine failed yesterday....... In my driveway

:popcorn:

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
?

if you lube it once in a while will that help ? never thought of doing that till now
then you'll have to lube the 8mm nut too......because the link sawed 3mm into it too

the link is hardened, everything else is soft

I was lucky.......it happened in my driveway

:drummer:

·
Vendor
5,332 Posts
:wtf:Good warning Noel.What a trap.But I must say your sidestand goes up and down more than a lot of other MV's.

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
?

Yes and Yes, Mitch and LC,

I ride my Brutale every day unless it's absolutely pouring......

That said, this can bite you HARD......

I was totally stupid lucky.......it failed right where I stopped to lock my garage door

the end of the pin was under the bike ......the springs and C bracket 2' behind the bike

when I stopped

A piece of twine will also work to tie the side stand up.......just remember to avoid the

chain......

·
Registered
465 Posts
That's crazy! How many miles are you at?

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Good call that.

So, a little spray of degreaser to clean the pin and then a bit of 3 in one oil or silicon grease.? deally something that won't attract grit too much..Probably worth doing this if the bike has been out in the rain or once a month or so in season...

Small chance of something very nasty happening short term , but a big chance eventually ,so it requires attention.

I'm wondering also if it's worth de-burring the link plate so it reduces the cutting effect ?

joe

·
Super Moderator
22,317 Posts
Man-o-man.
Anything that reduces friction there will help.

·
Vendor
5,332 Posts
Time to put some cable ties under the seat,or get my wife to follow me in the car.:thewife:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Does this setup let the stand retract [for want of a better word] as soon as you take the weight off it?
Like my Husky dirt bike.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Noel,

Just so I understand correctly, are you referring to the pin shown in this image? I just took my side stand off and mine looks okay, I think.

Thanks.
That doesn't look okay to me.
Looks like the hole in the bracket where the pin goes through is starting to wear and becoming elongated. It will be okay for a while but looks like it will wear through eventually. Even if that did happen not a big problem like if the pin wears through. Just my observations form the pic. I don't have this set up so I can't bee 100% sure.

·
Super Moderator
22,317 Posts
Here is a picture of the issue, this is Noel's stand mount:

Knurl Stand.jpg

·
Registered
388 Posts
That doesn't look okay to me.
Looks like the hole in the bracket where the pin goes through is starting to wear and becoming elongated. It will be okay for a while but looks like it will wear through eventually. Even if that did happen not a big problem like if the pin wears through. Just my observations form the pic. I don't have this set up so I can't bee 100% sure.
Looking in the parts manual (screen shot below) and based on what Noel found and we can see in the photo posted by Chuck, it looks like the bracket is supposed to have kind of an elongated or keyhole shape so that you slip it over the pin and then it locks into the smaller diameter hole. What happened to Noel, is it sheared off the pin.

My guess is the only way to really check the wear is to take it all apart and make sure the pin isn't wearing or hasn't developed a crack in it.

Interestingly, there doesn't appear to be a part number for the pin itself - it doesn't even show up in the diagram.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,317 Posts
The pin is, apparently, part of the back of part 15

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
?

The pin is pressed into the mount and then staked in place.....

The "C" shaped bracket DOESN'T WEAR it is hardened, the pin is not, the pin is 7mm

in diameter, it has a machined groove that is 4mm in diameter, that's what rides in the

small part of the keyhole....

If you look carefully at the picture Chuck posted, you can see the wear mark on the C

shaped bracket

I've never had a problem with a side stand before...... The springs yes, that's why there

are 2 on there......

Check yours for wear......... 32,300mi but lots of short trips, the bottom of the stand has

been welded up because of wear

1 - 18 of 18 Posts