MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have leathers ordered from out of the US that are being shipped by UPS. UPS has contacted me telling me that a 6% import duty fee, to be paid to customs,is due on any item sent to the US. Can anyone tell me if this is true?? I made my payment based on "to my door" price and am not pleased to be asked for near another $100.00.
To clarify, UPS claims that they collect this tax and turn the fee over to customs.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Thats a first for me. But then again, I never had anyting international come through UPS, always used USPS. The sender should have put it down as a gift.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like doo doo, thanks. Low blood count. Internal bleeding?? I wanna RIDE!!:bawling:

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I hope it sounds worse than it is! Hope you get better and back on the road soon.

·
Administrator
20,391 Posts
Customs duty comes into play based on value of item being shipped. If the dollar amount is significant then Uncle Sam wants his cut.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
my guess is it needs to be under a specific amount. I just bought a nice ECU and the cost was more than what was on the ticket. I did not pay a customs tax. I can't find the paperwork at the moment. If I find it i will let you know how it was shipped and with what value. But....I think you might be stuck this time unless you allow it to be shipped back and then have them re-send it with better paperwork or dispute the charge with the CC company and get a refund for goods not received.

good luck

·
Super Moderator
22,643 Posts
I got one of those UPS Duty Notices, so I called them and asked for a return phone call...no one has responded, and I have not paid it.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I know it's not the same but here in OZ if it comes through the post and under $1000 it's all good, but if it comes FED EX, UPS, ect we get slugged tax.
Well that's my experience so far but I have heard different.
Might be a bit of a lucky dip?

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
if US Customs wants duty......your stuff is locked up in the Customs warehouse until they get paid.

i've never heard of UPS collecting duty

i have no trouble using USPS.....

bstar360 is that limit Au$1000 ?

the limit for NZ is NZ$400 above that and its 12.5%

package size limits;

NZ,UK and Japan 108" thats girth +length

Au.....79" and that fucking sucks because a fairing side boxed with a wind screen is 98" and i cheated and parallelogrammed the box too

any of you UK guys ....whats the duty free limit?

anybody else.....i trans ship stuff all the time and would like to know

thanks

Noel-theknurl

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess if I want the suit, I have to pay. UPS is holding the package until they are informed who is paying the duty. The seller said "Oh well", so I guess it's on me. Only alternative is stopping payment with paypal / credit card. Then a pissing contest.:banghead:

·
Registered
568 Posts
if US Customs wants duty......your stuff is locked up in the Customs warehouse until they get paid.

i've never heard of UPS collecting duty

i have no trouble using USPS.....

bstar360 is that limit Au$1000 ?

the limit for NZ is NZ$400 above that and its 12.5%

package size limits;

NZ,UK and Japan 108" thats girth +length

Au.....79" and that fucking sucks because a fairing side boxed with a wind screen is 98" and i cheated and parallelogrammed the box too

any of you UK guys ....whats the duty free limit?

anybody else.....i trans ship stuff all the time and would like to know

thanks

Noel-theknurl
$1000 Aussie, But I have been told if it gets near that they might have a look at it.
It also depends what it is.
It's strange but some bike parts get duty and some other bits don't.
It seems to me to be better to get it through the post here.
I got an exhaust for my Husky through Fedex and they collected TAX before they would hand over said part.
Got slipons for the Duke in the post no problem.
Got full system for the Duke through a freight fowarder and got taxed and then service fee from them, after I had already paid for the parts.
As you can see it's a bit of a shit fight.
I have heard all sorts of storys from blokes bringing stuff in, there seems to be no consistency.

·
Registered
514 Posts
This is not uncommon in the US on high value goods. When I moved from Singapore back to California a few years ago, Fed-ex contacted me saying I owed duty on a computer I was importing. Noel is correct - you won't see your stuff until you pay the duty.. A lot of it has to do with how your goods are labeled and what value you put on it. Often you get caught when you want it insured and the shipper puts down the actual cost.. In many cases when insurance is not requested the sender undervalues the item on the bill of lading keeping it under the minimum.. When sending goods to the US the sender has to put a dollar value on the contents when filling out the bill of lading. For some reason some stuff makes it through and some stuff doesn't.. At this this was my experience shipping from Singapore to USA..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts