MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What size is the "0" ring that goes over the axle I bougt a Mitch's hub from a member here and didn't come with the 0 ring. The axle measures about 49 mm so I went to the auto parts store and got a couple different o rings but the thickness varies quit a bit, you can see the o ring in the" fitting a Mitch's hub thread" picture number 11. the one I am thinking of using is about 1/8" thick is that about right?

·
Vendor
5,159 Posts
The correct size is 46mm diameter x 1mm section (thickness) available at any bearing shop.:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used the "Fitting a Mitch's Hub" thread, thank you for putting all the pictures and info out there for us newbs, it along with the manual were very helpful. So far this has been one of the most user friendly bikes I've ever worked on.

·
Vendor
5,159 Posts
Yes they are great bikes to work on,but if you are not sure about anything don't be afraid to ask questions.:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok I've got a question, the pinch bolts on the swing arm, on the sticker and in the manual it says to torque between 28-32 NM or in my case the good ol US of A between 20-23.6 ft. pounds. After talking to a member here it was pointed out that that was way to tight and may be the cause of some of the premature bearing failure. He said to only torque to 15 ft. Lbs.
Or about 20NM. So after installing the hub I torqued the pinch bolts to 20NM went to work and back about 60 miles round trip, when I got home I checked my chain (brand new) to see if it had stretched, to my surprise it had tightened like a banjo string. I had a few chances to rip on the bike a few times and I'm sure the hub turned from the pinch bolts not being tight enough so I now have them torqued down to 28NM or 20 ft lbs and seem to be holding fast, what do you recommend for a torque spec for the Mitch's hub? I don't want it so tight as to scorch the bearings but to loose could be very bad as well.
Thanks,
Jim

·
Vendor
5,159 Posts
28nm is correct.You won't do any damage because my hubs are solid not hollowed out like the MV hubs.

·
Super Moderator
21,447 Posts
...and make that chain a bit on the loose side!

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I use 28nm as well however Noel is adament that 15-20nm is more than sufficent.

Are you sure your hub rotated in the Swing arm with 20mn torque on both pinch bolts?

Quite curious about this?

Brian.

·
Vendor
5,159 Posts
That's what I was thinking Brian.Normally the torque of the motor will pull the hub towards the frame and loosen the chain.Anyway tension the pinch bolts to MV's specs and it won't happen again.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use 28nm as well however Noel is adament that 15-20nm is more than sufficent.

Are you sure your hub rotated in the Swing arm with 20mn torque on both pinch bolts?

Quite curious about this?

Brian.
Well, that's the only reason I can come up with when I set the torque on the pinch bolts I first run them up finger thing set my torque wrench first at 10 ft. Lbs. alternate tightening the bolts, then set it at 13 ft. Lbs. alternating the bolts until it clicks then for the finial setting of 15 ft. Lbs alternating the tightening until both click, the factory paint marks on the bolt heads are in about the same position. I installed new Cush drives, new front and rear sprockets and new chain at the same time and was very diligent about the chain adjustment and if anything was a little loose when I left for work, when I got home it was way to tight, I loosened the chain torqued them to 20 ft. Lbs. And it's been fine since, so if the hub didn't turn what else could have tightened the chain?

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Ride hight...

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
That's what I was thinking Brian.Normally the torque of the motor will pull the hub towards the frame and loosen the chain.Anyway tension the pinch bolts to MV's specs and it won't happen again.
I remember reading that Noel inserted an OEM hub in a swiing arm clamped to a bench and torque only One! of the pinch bolts to just 2mn.!.............he said it was not possible to rotate the hub using a bar on the end of the hub adjusting tool.!!??

With this asertation that is why l'm very curious about hub rotation in this case!....,because Noel has always claimed the stated MV Agusta torque value to be much too high and lowering to around 15 NM to be more than sufficient?

Brian.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts