MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've just purchased a 2011 Brutale 1090RR and I'm picking it up later this month. I have been so excited for this bike after reading and watching every review imaginable from the internet.(over and over again) Where I live, I can't ride all year. We have about a 5 month riding season and two of those months are cold and wet. I live in the city of Temiskaming Shores Ontario Canada, and we still have two feet of snow in the front yard and roads filled with sand and salt. This part of Canada has had a bone chilling winter this year!!

The one thing that has me concerned is after finding this MV forum website and going through all the links and posts; I've noticed many people have issues with their MV's... Every other thread someone is posting problems they have had or are having with either their dashboard, ignition or other... I've also read a lot of good posts but it's not the good posts that concern me..

My previous bike which I sitll own but is for sale is a 2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848. I also belonged to the SF forum and can't remember ever seeing so many posts about ride stopping mechanical issues with the bikes.

I'm looking forward to being part of this new to me MV community and wish everyone a safe riding season!

Here is to hoping I don't get a lemon!

P.S The package that comes with the purchase of the bike is really cool!... I see a key, a key chain, a USB stick (strange) and four small booklets one of which is a user manual. Any idea what the USB and booklets are used for? The user manual, key and key chain are pretty obvious.. :f4:

Cheers!

K

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The bike you just bought is one of the most reliable you can get.
Remember , most people join forums looking for help, there's many more out there just riding and having fun.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hello all,

I've just purchased a 2011 Brutale 1090RR and I'm picking it up later this month. I have been so excited for this bike after reading and watching every review imaginable from the internet.(over and over again) Where I live, I can't ride all year. We have about a 5 month riding season and two of those months are cold and wet. I live in the city of Temiskaming Shores Ontario Canada, and we still have two feet of snow in the front yard and roads filled with sand and salt. This part of Canada has had a bone chilling winter this year!!

The one thing that has me concerned is after finding this MV forum website and going through all the links and posts; I've noticed many people have issues with their MV's... Every other thread someone is posting problems they have had or are having with either their dashboard, ignition or other... I've also read a lot of good posts but it's not the good posts that concern me..

My previous bike which I sitll own but is for sale is a 2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848. I also belonged to the SF forum and can't remember ever seeing so many posts about ride stopping mechanical issues with the bikes.

I'm looking forward to being part of this new to me MV community and wish everyone a safe riding season!

Here is to hoping I don't get a lemon!

P.S The package that comes with the purchase of the bike is really cool!... I see a key, a key chain, a USB stick (strange) and four small booklets one of which is a user manual. Any idea what the USB and booklets are used for? The user manual, key and key chain are pretty obvious.. :f4:

Cheers!

K
Interesting - I was just commenting to a freind that when I compare the Ducati forum to the MV forum it seems like the MV owners are mostly delighted with their purchase. The Multistrada forum is often filled with all kinds of bitching. My own Ducati experience has actually been blissful - couldn't be happier. Maybe I just haven't read enough of what's in this forum.

That said - where the hell is the clock and fuel gauge on my new 1090RR? :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Welcome to the MV world. Be careful worrying about something that might never come to pass. Have owned my Brutie for over 2.5 years and she has truly been a great bike. The bonus, can't help but turn and look back at her after a ride. The artful beauty of these bikes is intoxicating. How bout that positive review!

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
I think there might be manuals and some wallpapers on the usb stick. Welcome!

·
Registered
14,568 Posts
Welcome!

Welcome to the Forum KJL!

'08 910R, ~24,000Mi, used 2 low beams, that's it....no battery tender, no issues and uses NO oil...

ate a lot of tires though:naughty:

bad, bad Brutale eating tires like that :drummer:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Welcome indeed

beautiful Brutale you got there!
and don't be to worried, any Ducati forum I was active in was just as well filled with people that had problems. as stated before, few people will start a thread saying "Hi, my 916SPS has had no issues with rocker flaking or rectifier/regulator problems". That's one of the main reasons you most of the time only see threads with problems.

The best thing is that they are actually there, an active community with plenty experience in issues is a valuable asset when you do run into an issue. First thing I checked out before purchasing my 910S Gladio was the SPU unit, which I wouldn't have done if there were no threads on this forum talking about them failing.

So when the sun kicks back in, leave the worries at the doorstep and enjoy the ride :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the welcoming responses everyone! Lots of positive reviews and feedback from everybody. I'm going to be a proud MV owner! My buddies still think I'm crazy for leaving my 848 Streetfighter behind but what do they know! Can't wait for the first ride. The only thrills I've had so far is reading reviews and comments from everyone. What would we do without You Tube?? I'm buying this bike solely on the reviews and of course I'm a die hard naked fan.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Even as a real ducati fan I never was really fond of the SF848. It lacked the low end muscle the SF1098 had and without a full exhaust line and remap it was also extremely jerky due to emissions restrictions. For me the bike was a bit too much to the extreme sporty side for the road, instead much more a track bike that just laughs at you if you're not going fast.

I don't think you will find the Brutale a step back at all, it's a different breed but not in a bad way :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
hey bud,

Welcome come to the forums, I have no experience on the SF848 but I can tell you there is no way that the brutale can disappoint power all over roll on wheelies in 1,2,and possibly 3rd and I am no feather weight lol. anyway I have lots of family in your neck of the woods actualy on the quebec side of the river next time I am there we should go for a ride :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! From one MV newbie to another!! :)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! Beautiful bike. Nice to see more Canadians getting MVs. Hope the weather warms for you soon, haha "spring", got snowed out today again :( but the weekend is looking fantastic :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Even as a real ducati fan I never was really fond of the SF848. It lacked the low end muscle the SF1098 had and without a full exhaust line and remap it was also extremely jerky due to emissions restrictions. For me the bike was a bit too much to the extreme sporty side for the road, instead much more a track bike that just laughs at you if you're not going fast.

I don't think you will find the Brutale a step back at all, it's a different breed but not in a bad way :)

I agree with your comment about the 848 being jerky. I went for my first ride a few days ago with the 1090RR and was very happy with the smooth power in every gear! No jerky chugs in first and second gear which make riding the tight twisties a lot more enjoyable. I never had the opportunity to ride the SF1098. In all honesty I was either going to get the 1098SF or the 1090RR... I'm happy with my decision so far.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey bud,

Welcome come to the forums, I have no experience on the SF848 but I can tell you there is no way that the brutale can disappoint power all over roll on wheelies in 1,2,and possibly 3rd and I am no feather weight lol. anyway I have lots of family in your neck of the woods actualy on the quebec side of the river next time I am there we should go for a ride :)
I had my first ride the other day. A few of us road to Rouyn then back around through Larder Lake. All in all put about 300 KM on the MV and am quite pleased. 2nd and third gear clutch wheelies very fun. Using the wheelie button puts a smile on my face every time. The 848 was capable in 2nd but only at a slow speed which quickly died at the rev limiter. If you're ever up my way I'll definitely go out for a ride..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I picked up the new to me 2011 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR last week from Ottawa. It rained the entire trip so I decided to trailer the bike to keep her nice and clean... The bad I didn't get to ride her until two days ago.

I'm comparing this ride on two previously owned bikes. A 2011 Z1000 and a 2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848. I must say I'm extremely satisfied with the 1090RR... I can't really compare it to the 848 as far as power goes. The 848 chugged at slow speeds second gear below 40 KM/H and forget riding in first gear. The 1090RR First gear, second gear all the way up to 6th gear smooth as can be no chugging at all. The power from 1st through 6 was strong, the bike pulled in every gear. Even in 6th gear I never had to gear down to pass a vehicle, there was plenty of power to pull hard and excel. What I really liked is even when I slowed down to "normal speed" the 1090RR still had plenty of power in 6th gear. I dropped my speed to 70 KM/H and still I didn't feel the need to downshift. Did I downshift? Well yes I eventually did because what fun would it be to stay in 6th all day...

I could compare the brutale to the Z1000 as far as smooth power. The Z had similar power in every gear, and was similar in weight. Now I say similar but to be completely honest the 1090RR is in a totally different class of power and beauty. I was pulling 3rd gear wheelies on the MV. The Z 3rd gear, that never happened.

I road for about 300 KM through some twisties on decent roads and very poor roads... We have lots of frost up here that destroy good pavement in our neck of the woods. I found the suspension of the 1090RR to be comfortable. During the entire ride I didn't feel the need to stop or take a rest. The seat was soft and had some cushion to it. We did stop for gas and a nice cold beer at the half way marker but that was only so we could socialize and trade bike stories.

I do ride quite a bit every year and normally a day's ride will be about 600 -700 KM. My buddy keeps trying to get me to trade my naked bikes for a multistrada but I'm a naked fan and am not ready to be that comfortable. Don't get me wrong my buddy rides his multi like a champion... That bike pulls hard and it also wheelies in 3rd gear. I just like the clean look of the naked bike that’s all...

I wasn't too happy with the instrument selector buttons. I expected they would be difficult to use from reading about other comments on the bike. I left mine in sport mode at TC setting 6. During a gas up I tried resetting the KM to zero but was taking too much time and left it at 144. I'm not sure yet how many km I will get out of a tank I've been reading such a mixed review from everyone. I'm guessing I should be safe for about 200 KM on a tank.

In the corners the Dunlop tires felt stable and sticky no worries with them. On my Z I used Pilot Road 3 which were very good. I like the dual compound tire as lots of my riding is straight roads. Unlike most of you I have to ride a good 300 KM to find me some really good twisties. I like the 1090RR the way it is. I'm not going to change the pipe she sounds amazing. I'm leaving the signals on the mirrors and licence plate as is. I don't find the MV hard to look at from stock.

I still need more time on the 1090RR to really get a feel for her. But what I can tell so far I'm a happy camper with my new purchase. I have 3 rides planned in the near future.

May 22-23 a few of us will be in the Muskoka area warming up for our big 15 day trip in June. We still aren't sure if we will be heading back to New Hampshire for a third time, or try Pennsylvania for the first time. suggestions anybody??? Remember where I live as to why I'm picking those two destinations. North Conway New Hampshire is like 677 Miles in the straightest route. 6 of us trailered to Tennessee last year and did the tail of the dragon, blue ridge skyway, devil's triangle and a few other amazing roads. If we lived closer we would go to Tennessee this year too... Anyway I love the 1090RR and can't wait for the next run!
Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nice! Did you pick it up at Motorsports World? The guys there are awesome and introduced me to my beautiful mount.

You can probably expect around 170km before the fuel light comes on. Farthest I've gone on mine is 210 before I got stressed out and fueled up.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'd suggest popping out that extension on the rear license plate light. Looks like the bracket with all the reflectors and such is already off it and now it's kind of awkwardly out there. It's pretty quick and painless to do, just remember to hook a fish line to the light wire before pulling it through the tail or it's a bit of a pain to feed it back up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts