MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I've owned a Super-V 800 for about a month. I've currently driven 997 km.

On the day of delivery (I was probably too excited and didn't register it right away or complained to the dealer) there was the following problem when starting the motorcycle:

Insert the ignition key
Ignition on Display stays dark
Ignition off
Ignition again
Fuel pump starts, display starts up
Displays available, engine start possible without any problems.
__

By the way, my sales dealer is 200 km away. I also contacted various dealers by phone (usually further away); only one reported to me about similar problems on a Superturismo, which, however, could not be solved in the workshop: the motorcycle owner has ignored the error since then.

The dealer also said I should use the second key, which I did. Same procedure, same error

Now my questions:

There is only a minimal plastic tag on the key itself. Can this disrupt the connection to the transponder?

I also noticed that the problem occurs about every fifth to seventh start (thus irregular), again this morning after the bike stopped with a battery capacity reading of 12.4V and an outside temperature of 12 degrees. In my opinion, however, an argument against troubleshooting battery capacity or the outside temperature is that the error also occurs after a long drive or at 30 degrees Celsius.

Can I read the error myself via the dashboard? (Dealers charge for this even under warranty). If so, what would the procedure be?

Conversely, is there a tool or a separate readout plug and can a Ducati readout device be used?

Many thanks for your help

Andy

·
Old Wing Nut
25,215 Posts
Don't think the immobilizer transponder is the issue. The dash would still light up, you just wouldn't be able to start it.
Have a careful look at the wiring connections for the key switch.
And your battery, after riding, should be at 13+ volts. 12.4 is a bit low making the battery suspect.
Is it a Li-Po battery or AGM ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sales dealer is 200 km away, thanks to MV.

I called the technician/mechanix on site again today; he taps on the battery (see above 12.4 V).

So I should hang up the charger (I got it right away) and if necessary (in the event of a significant drop in voltage) the battery would be replaced.

She probably stood in the water in Vanessa (oh no: Varese) for a long time, or something like that.

Speaking of which: due to the service life (???), the chain was not properly tensioned ex works.

Or had Luigi simply not finished his cappu?

·
Super Moderator
25,951 Posts
That sort of behavior would indicate a LiPO type battery.
A bit if initial load "warms up" the circuitry and allows greater subsequent voltage.
The ECU of your bike has a Low Voltage Cutoff that will not allow bike start below a certain value.
It is interesting to note that, on a Lithium battery, 12.4vdc is indicative of a 9% State of Charge.

Font Rectangle Number Screenshot Parallel

I'd be looking for a new battery.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much.

If your statement is correct (which I assume is 100 percent), then the full battery capacity will never have been reached before.

For this reason I will fully charge it again and - if necessary - contact MV or the dealer for an exchange, if the full performance was not reached.

Once again thank you very much.

Andy

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
It is interesting to note that, on a Lithium battery, 12.4vdc is indicative of a 9% State of Charge.
Because of the general low state of charge - I reckon the BMS on the battery is putting it into a state of hibernation/protection. Hence when OP goes to switch on the ignition the screen etc is blank. BMS is then sensing a load on the battery and putting the output back on line.

I've seen this behaviour on LiFepo batteries - especially those that have a parasitic draw (like for alarms or trackers).

Either the battery should be taken out of the bike and charged using a specific LiFePo charger or replaced completely with a new / known good battery.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you very much,

In fact, I still don't know yet where the battery is installed or what type was used at the factory.

However, it would be bizarre if an unsuitable charger was supplied with the motorcycle ex works.

At the moment the machine is also charging the battery, in doubt I could use the Li-Po-charger from my M2 Competition.

·
Super Moderator
25,951 Posts
The first thing to do is to verify you actually have a LiPO battery.
This is all conjecture until then.

·
Old Wing Nut
25,215 Posts
In fact, I still don't know yet where the battery is installed or what type was used at the factory.

However, it would be bizarre if an unsuitable charger was supplied with the motorcycle ex works.
I'm pretty sure the battery is under the fuel tank like the other 3 cylinder bikes. Tank must be lifted to access.

I do believe the SV comes with LiPo battery and you are correct in thinking MV wild not supply a charger not suitable for the battery.
My NOCO charger has mode selections for flooded cell (ol style), AGM and LiPo.... modern smart chargers can change charge profiles for different types of batteries.

·
Super Moderator
25,951 Posts
If you look at the image on the back of the supplied charger box, there is a green battery that looks like a LiPO...what the charger model is and whether it charges LiPO is blurred behind the reflection.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A quick update:

I found the following operating instructions hidden (!!) in the charger box: see pictures.

The charging algorithm is interesting.

In addition, the operating instructions for the motorcycle do not contain any information about the type of battery used.

In my opinion, however, it is very likely that a Li-Po battery is installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've send a message to MV (Varese):

"Hello.

My name is Andy ..... and I bought a new Superveloce 800 about a month ago.

However, I occasionally have the problem that the motorcycle does not start up the display after switching on the ignition.

In this case the voltage displayed is 12.4V intermittently and I have to turn the ignition back on to start the bike.

Now I wanted to charge the motorcycle for the first time with the charger that was handed out.

So please let me know what type of battery it is (Lipo?) and whether the charger (battery controller "Junior MV") can actually be used for charging.

Thanks in advance.

Andy......"

1 - 20 of 32 Posts