1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone.

PROFILE:
Brutale 990 R (2011)
expo-model purchased in August 2012 with 1500km from authorised reseller (first matriculation July 2011).
Presently with 3000Km and regularly serviced according to manual. Battery in full recharge every two days.

RECURRENT ISSUES:
1) Every time I try to re-ignite the bike after using it even for a few minutes, it won't ignite again. Only if I wait for at least 5 minutes it will. After almost each failed ignition attempt, all warning lights in the display go on and all partial measurements in the display get reset. When finally the bike switches on, I smell un-burnt gasoline, like at the fuel station.

2) A few mornings per week, bike would crank for a few seconds before igniting for the first time. If the attempt is unsuccessful, all warning lights in the display go on and all partial measurements in the display get reset.

EXAMPLES:
1) at the fuel station:
stop bike for fuel, switch bike off, time to go... bike won't switch on again!
I have to push it out of the way and wait the necessary minutes.
2) running errands around the city:
park the bike, switch off the bike... run the errand. If errand takes less then 5 minutes, go back to the bike, bike won't switch on again!

RARE EVENTS (happened only once):
1) in strong acceleration: first gear, second gear, third gear,
bike suffocates and switches off! Park on road side, bike won't switch on again.. for 15 minutes or so.
2) in strong deceleration: fourth gear, third gear, bike coughs, suffocates and switches off! This time I don't stop and while still running I put the second gear, release the clutch... I manage to switch it on again.

Reseller checked the bike at 2500km and said nothing of this happened to him.
Huge frustration... I'm now filming with my mobile and putting everything on a DVD!

Everyone volunteering to help, much appreciated.
Many thanks.
donVito

·
Registered
828 Posts
donVitoCorleone,

My 2009 1078 did much the same thing although not to the same extent. Was hard to start after stopping for fuel etc., especially straight away. Cracking the throttle a bit usually worked. Fitted a Microtech from Chris at Xbikes which definitely solved this particular problem. That's an expensive fix but worth every penny. In the meantime open the throttle a bit when you crank it.

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
99 Posts
donVitoCorleone,

My 2009 1078 did much the same thing although not to the same extent. Was hard to start after stopping for fuel etc., especially straight away. Cracking the throttle a bit usually worked. Fitted a Microtech from Chris at Xbikes which definitely solved this particular problem. That's an expensive fix but worth every penny. In the meantime open the throttle a bit when you crank it.

Cheers

Deano
I don't think Don Vito's bike will even crank within this 5-minute period as he is describing it. Probably nothing happens when he presses the starter button so he has to wait for a few minutes. But I agree this could be an ECU-related issue.

·
Registered
828 Posts
abazhle,

That's what we need to clear up. donVitoCorleone what do you mean by wont reignite or switch on again? Is it totally dead electrically or just hard to start? When you say 'all warning lights in the display go on and all partial measurements in the display get reset' do you mean all the lights and dash displays come on and the tacho needle does the rounds and resets or that the trip meters reset to zero etc then no power. Does it still crank or stay dead for a few minutes (no ignition)?

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi guys,

Thank you so much indeed for your prompt replies, I was positive I could count on some professional expertise around here!

I'll try to answer you questions with a couple of videos I have uploaded on you tube. There are two ways bike responds to ignition:
one in which bike almost ignites but then fails (video 2), and one where it doesn't even try (video 1).You may find videos here:

1) www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9XZhopoj8M

2) www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNHH3eBAT6o

As you can see the needle does the round at each ignition attempt when bike behaves as in video 1. When bike seems to ignite and then fails (as in video 2), needle doesn't seem to move and also all warning lights don't go off in such cases. Bike is never electrically dead. Trip meters reset to zero.

Also, it rarely happens that in the mornings it wouldn't even consider switching on for the first time.. only solution there is to push the bike downhill in the garage's ramp and switch it on in second gear. I try to recharge the battery every two or three days, one week the latest. But you can imagine that's all too frustrating.. it's like having another cellphone. My previous Street Triple R would do nothing of all this crap.

Anyway, my reseller just kindly agreed to revise the bike again. I'm giving them the DVD with all videos, fingers crossed!

Should you have any further idea please do feel free to suggest as I may then pass info on to the mechanics who will deal with it.
Cheers
donVito

·
Super Moderator
22,666 Posts
donVito...what batter is on your bike and how long has it been there?
If it is a Koyo, ditch it for the Yuasa and make sure you hook it up with the correct polarity.

My wife's 2010 Brutale 1090RR had very similar symptoms. Changing the battery solved the issue. Koyo (I am assuming that's what is in there) batteries are junk.

·
Registered
405 Posts
If the dash is re-setting its because the voltage is dropping too far meaning the battery isn't up to the job, it also sounds very sluggish on the starter, in addition your auto start doesn't sound to be working as the starter is dropping out too early (am assuming the 990 has auto start). I would try a good quality AGM or Lithium battery first. Also sounds as if you have ECU/sensor issues with the bike cutting out.

·
Super Moderator
22,666 Posts
Just drop the standard Yuasa in, after a 24 hour initial charge, and you should be fine.

ytz10s.png

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
,if it is not the battery.it will be the starter motor or starter solenoid,I had a similiar problem with my 1078 ,changed battery ,did not solve the problem ,changed starter motor,did not solve the problem.now just changed the starter solenoid ,now this looks promising,might have just found the issue.went for one ride on saturday past with no starting issues,tried to get out again just to make 100% sure that it was the issue,but it has not stopped raining.I have noticed that the starter motors are not made by Denso in Japan,they have a silvery gold look to them,probably made in china,just not sure.
Good luck,
cheers eddy

should be under Warranty

·
Registered
405 Posts
There is lots of rubbish that comes out of china but its not all bad, so the fact that is made in China doesn't automatically mean its an issue, the Yuasa that was fitted to mine didn't last very long either whereas the Chinese made Lithium battery is very good once warm, they need coaxing back into life if cold or left for a while, buts that's the point they come back to life.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Have the battery tested for proper voltage, and get a load test put on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good day everyone, thanks a lot again for your support. Thanks for asking eddypro.
They came to collect my bike on the 25th January in the evening...
No news thus far... complete silence!

Only a few words exchanged with the mechanics who collected the missus on that evening.
He said when that sort of issues start appearing they tend to replace the battery with a YUASA one.. which seems to be in line with some of the suggestions kindly given on here too. It seems there is no MV Agusta bike (more in general no Italian super bike/super car) that doesn't undergo a battery change. We Italians.. what to say...

Well, as soon as I hear anything I'll post it on here.
Should you have any further suggestion please do post!
bye for now

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hi guys!
So my bike just got back to me from service...

They replaced OEM battery with a YUASA YTZ 10S and I was told they have been tampering quite a bit with the ECU.

Besides all those issues mentioned in my opening post getting vanished, the main thing is that I hardly recognise my bike's motor now. It's really incredible how totally different a motor it's become! Before it was always very nervous and kind of jumpy whereas now it is very fluid, smooth, linear.. frustration of riding the bike has turned into a real pleasure!

Well, fingers crossed and let's hope it keeps this way... I have been having so many troubles with this bike I have hardly enjoyed one single day with it since I bought it last August.

Thanks everyone for your help, immensely appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yep, I checked that... they collected it in sport mode and gave it back to me in sport mode...
I haven't tried how things are in normal mode.

·
Super Moderator
22,666 Posts
Glad you finally got it sorted.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Great,so sounds more like a ECU problem,interesting?
Was it an ECU problem?

Donvito, has your mechanic told you exactly what they did?

Did they only change the ECU and the battery?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts