MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2011 1090RR I bought just a few weeks ago. Dealer insisted that the ECU is bone stock, I do not believe so judging from the perfect fueling. The bike runs fantastic, no complain whatsoever...no gurgle or backfire, silky smooth throttle response from idle to WOT, no snatchy response, no stumble, no hesitation, I can filter through traffic on any gear and can pull away smoothly no problem..... bottom line it is a dream to ride except that I have a small hunting issue on idle rpm, worse when engine still cold becomes better/still there slightly when engine is on operating temp. I did not bother at the beginning because I read somewhere on this forum that idle rpm hunting is a characteristics of the B4 engine particularly after ECU Reflash or Race ECU replacement. However, after reading deeper and deeper into the technical side of this forum, I came to believe that this idle rpm hunting has something to do with Throttle Bodies not entirely synched, yes it is typically happen after ECU Reflash/ECU Replacement and this is something that can/should be ironed out...

The big questions are:
- Aside from the minor hunting annoyance caused to my ears and sanity, TBH the bike runs like a dream and I actually a bit wary about attempting to iron out this hunting idle problem for the fear of opening a can of worm. Should I just leave it as it is?
-Could somebody please point me to the best link to perform this TB Synching procedure? There are a few here but please help me to go directly to the best link.
- Do I need to perform TPS reset? If yes, should I perform the reset after OR before TB Synching?

Many thanks in advance folks!!

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or should I start with the easiest? When I first saw the bike and wanted a test ride it was dead from flat battery. Waited and chatted there for 45 min waiting for the charger to do its job before it can be fired, It can then be concluded that the battery is compromised, stupid me for not demanding a new battery.

The question is... Does MV acts like many other exotic Italian or German? Ferrari and Porsche I know for sure will act all sort of weird when the battery is not super healthy.

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
First, the battery must be in good condition with sufficient load capacity to run the bike well.
The ECU has a voltage cutout.

The hunting is normal for either the Race ECU or the bone stock ECU. It is not indicative of an ECU change or tune.

The workshop manual, available from a link in the Maintenance section will give you the TB Sync procedure.

I would check/reset the TPS prior to TB Sync and then again after.

To do the TPS reset, you need diagnostic software and a cable to connect to a computer.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the clear directions, much appreciated. Does this hunting is something I should be really concerned with? Is it something I can just simply ignore for the time being without any dire consequences down the road? I want to fix it but I am not ready to open a can of worm right now. I am saving up to buy a Rexxer so I can perform my own maintenance and mods including TPS reset.

Many thanks

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about it. The hunting is exacerbated by cold temps, small vacuum leaks, and poor state of tune. Letting the bike warm up reduces the hunting.

It will not cause damage to anything. It is just a bit annoying.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't be worried about it. The hunting is exacerbated by cold temps, small vacuum leaks, and poor state of tune. Letting the bike warm up reduces the hunting.

It will not cause damage to anything. It is just a bit annoying.
Good to know that, give me some time to save up. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Ignore the hunting whilst cold, you may never cure that. If it hunts when engine is up to temp then you might be able to fix it. Apart from the above suggestions I found a new set of spark plugs made a huge difference to my bike.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ignore the hunting whilst cold, you may never cure that. If it hunts when engine is up to temp then you might be able to fix it. Apart from the above suggestions I found a new set of spark plugs made a huge difference to my bike.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion... when the engine warm the hunting is almost non existent, just some very very slight hunting occasionally. I'll try to replace spark plugs, make sense. The bike only covered 6000km since 2012 when it first registered, I bet PO never replace the spark plugs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts