MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Also stuck by the side of the road yesterday -following on from gunnar's thread on my 350 Ipotesi - 5.9klms from home (how do I know exact distance - this will be revealed later in the post).

I had some clutch slipping issues, so yesterday morning I made some adjsutments & took the bike out for a test run. Normally I don't wear ATGATT when test riding but as the slipage occured at 120kph + I thought I thought I would.

Anyhow building up speed - all good then it just dies at 110kph!! I coast it to the side of the road, it feels like a fuelling issue, visual check reveals BOTH filters empty - I look & notice the a lugg on the fuel pump has snapped off (yes a 1975 bike with a fuel pump)!

I don't want to leave the bike by the freeway - so I start pushing until I get to a 'safe place' but I can't find one, so I keep pushing -1hr & 20 minutes later I am home - I pushed up hills & coasted down.

I got home my Skype went off & it was Noel (theknurl) - he was never seen me a handsome shade of MV RED - I was DEAD - his laughter kind of helped as it made me laugh.

Went down into the garage - soldered the lugg back on, which wasn't easy because of where it snapped, I had to build a 'solder base & then work the lugg into it - wrapped it in expoxy to strenghten it (Noel's idea :yo:) waited a couple hours for it to harden properly connected it - turned the key, kicked it & started first time :)

Maybe some people don't get it & perhaps it's not for everyone but I loved the adventure, protecting my baby - fixing her & then riding her - knowing that sooner or later she'll test me & my repair skills again ( as you simply can't get some parts) - keeps your mind sharp & is character building :smoking:

Now as to that distance, after dinner last night, after everyone in the family laughed at me & could not believe that I did that, curiosity got the better of us, we jumped in the car & re-traced the trip measuring it out - 5.9klms ambient temp 23deg cel in full leathers & helmet which I wore as I didn't want it scratching the bike.

Every bone & muscle in my body :cussing:aches like hell today - still I wouldn't swap it for anything. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Ah, the humble motorcycle. You take the good with the bad with an even hand. That's my philosophy too Rob.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that's the only philosophy to have Dave otherwise the humble motorcycle will provide very little enjoyment indeed :laughing:

On a separate note, I missed you last weekend, we booked our flights to the US - Lou & I wanted a chat with you & the lovely Melanie about Bubbalicious plans/arrangements. No biggie we'll talk soon :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Rob...
i feel your pain. My friend has a CB350 Four that NEVER has problems and constantly gives me a hard time for there always being something with the bikes I have.
I used to have an A350 Condor. HUGE bike that weighed a ton.
I had a problem with the petcocks and lost power about 4 miles from the closest gas station and pushed it all the way there.
but then again what would we gripe about if we didnt have these problems right?

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha ha no pain Alex all good fun :)

It's character building - after all, when between a rock & hard place who would you rather be your soft no problem 350 Honda riding mate or a hardened old school MV rider? No brainer really ;)

Ah the mighty Condor - they were the Swiss army bikes weren't they? using Ducati 350 single power plant? Cool bike, pushing that thing 4 miles certainly trumps my push :jsm: - my hat's off to you :yo:

·
Registered
344 Posts
It was a super rad bike. Definitely for use against zombies and the apocalypse. It was so heavy I couldnt even get it on the centerstand. And yeah it was fun but super underpowered.
And I think I would rather walk than ride the honda....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi Rob,

I can feel your pain.....in 1999, when I started collecting and restoring historic bikes the same situation happend to me. The one and other muscle still hurts... :)

Tomorrow I will drive a claasic motorcycle mountain race race, about 35 km far from Vienna and I hope that the bike brings me reliably home again.

Helmut

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a super rad bike. Definitely for use against zombies and the apocalypse. It was so heavy I couldnt even get it on the centerstand. And yeah it was fun but super underpowered.
And I think I would rather walk than ride the honda....
And I would rather push an MV :smoking:

Hi Rob,

I can feel your pain.....in 1999, when I started collecting and restoring historic bikes the same situation happend to me. The one and other muscle still hurts... :)

Tomorrow I will drive a claasic motorcycle mountain race race, about 35 km far from Vienna and I hope that the bike brings me reliably home again.

Helmut
Since 1999 Helmut??? OMG :laughing: :laughing::laughing:

Good luck tomorrow, I wish I could be there - I love Vienna it's one of my favourite cities in the world but I have not been there since 1989 -10 years before you hurt your muscle :laughing:

Ride safely & please please post some pics of the event if you can :)

Go Helmi & the might MV :yo:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi Rob,

thx, the race was great. We had great weather and all went fine. My small MV did a good job - the only problem was the old fuel inside the tank (5 months). Before I park my bikes for the hibernation I refuel the petrol tank. Because of the new fuel (political theme, bio-shit- gas) my bike did not have the full power - the engine sputtered a little.

Some photos from the event you can find in my album:

http://gallery.mvagusta.net/mvhelmi/photo/54667/

cheers

Helmut

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW Helmut, looks fantastic.

I bet you had a fantastic time & you ran the little beast with the open Magni pipe:yo: I ran mine like that to the Sydney festival & it shocked many people :laughing:

You were interviewed on the start line? I did not know I was friends with a mega star ;) You are full of surprises :)

The most important thing is that you enjoyed yourself & that you 100% safe after the race:yo:

I'll post you pics here so that they are easy to see :)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Wow! That's a gorgeous 125 Sport you have there, Helmi!

Btw, Rob, you were pushing your bike at an average speed of 4.425 km/h or 2.75 mph. That's not bad for an old fart like you! :D

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! That's a gorgeous 125 Sport you have there, Helmi!

Btw, Rob, you were pushing your bike at an average speed of 4.425 km/h or 2.75 mph. That's not bad for an old fart like you! :D
:laughing: Thanks oepie - that's what I love about this website, the constant intellectual highs :laughing:

Old fart? Get your ass down to Australia & I'll take the m/cycle pushing Pepsi challenge ANY day :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts