MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seems I've bought an aprilia, not an MV. Out on a ride this morning and coming into a corner a bit hot (sooo easy to do on this :) ) I went for a dab of rear brake - nothing! When I pulled over later, the rear brake is non-existant, just like the last three Apes I've owned. Why is that a korean bike manufacturer can produce a $4k bike and have a rear brake that works, but the Italian manufacturers that have produced some amazing machines for over 50 years, can't seem to make a rear brake that works?!

I'll be watching now to see if the clocks start fogging up, the clutch fluid turns black, the main wiring conector under the seat starts melting and shorting out the whole system, a coil pack shits itself, and then at 10k the alternator craps out - then I'll know for sure it's an ape and not an MV! :naughty:

Seriously though, I did a search and didn't come up with anything, so hoping it's not a real problem. It's a bloody pain in the arse to have to keep bleeding the rear on the MV.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Italians never use the rear brake much, some just trail brake coming into corners - has been discussed here on the forum quite a bit in the past.

My Suzuki would lock up the back wheel easy as... none of the MV's will though!!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Italians never use the rear brake much..
I knew I had Italian blood in me.

It's not that it doesn't work, it's that it's full of air - no resistance in the pedel. tbh it's first time I've gone to use it, probably wasn't working from the start. I'll bleed it and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I was wondering if that was norm or just my bike.
I've had the same issue with both my Duc and the MV. I've went as far as to replace the rear master with one from Carl to try and fix the problem.
I have no idea why this happens but I know it really pisses me off to have such an "exclusive" bike that doesn't have a usable rear brake :banghead:

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Hhmm

You are right the rear brakes not very good at the best of times, having said that, instead of hitting the brakes in the middle of a corner, just keep a steady throttle and counter steer into the corner, that will almost always scrubb of enough speed.:jsm:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had the same issue with both my Duc and the MV.
In all fairness to aprilia, it's not that the rear brake is faulty, it's just that they are stupidly hard to bleed correctly. Once they are, they're fine. But it takes the right procedure (calliper off, hung upside down etc) and lots of patience. Most dealers obviously can't do it right, judjing from the thousands of reports about the apes. I'm guessing this is the same and maybe so for ducs too?

A quick bleed will get a full peddle for a few hundred k's, then it quickly disappears.

Just hope that's the last of the "quirky" similarities though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You are right the rear brakes not very good at the best of times,
I don't know yet donsy, because I haven't used them :)

I'm glad to hear that when they are bled and working, they don't have a lot of bite though, nothing worse than that imo.

PS. ordering the microtech tonight!

·
Registered
195 Posts
my rear brake is so usless, that if I'm on an uphill slope, and I apply it. I will roll backwards..

I honestly expected more tbh from a marquee bike maker..

my jappers are sublime and work a treat.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Funny, my rear brake work just fine on both bikes. Although I do change the brake fluid every year, maybe that's why it works. And yes, I use it sometimes in town to scrub a little bit of speed or before corner.

·
Registered
250 Posts
rear brakes are shit on MV's. I dont know if its the size of cylinders that make it intentionally so or what. My KTMs will lock the rears at will....have be very careful when I ride them as sometimes I forget!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Guys there is a very simply mod you can do cheap and easy I've done it to a few MVs and ducats for friends and we can all if need to lock up the rear easily

Simply do this
Wrap your rear res and feeder pips and the master cylinder all in heat reflective tape also replace brake cloud with Brembos higher temp race brake fluid

JOB DONE EASYBAS THAT

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
i can lock up my back wheel, but it doesn't really slow the bike. the back wheel just slides along

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
i have not had any probs with my 910 rear brake felt a bit ify when i got it so i told the mechs to look at it in the first service they changed the pads a bleed the system and said i had silicon grease on the pads and a good bit of air n water in the pipes

the other thing a m8 of mine found out was that while riding my MV his right boot rested on the brake peddle and after a while boiled the brake fluid which ment no rear brake

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
this cracked me up yesterday :), I was riding thru some rain, when I got home I noticed the headlight was all fogged up, just like the tuono's clocks used to fog up. When I checked it out, the glass fell out in my hand (I remembered hearing about this years ago, seems in 2010 they still can't make a sealant that sticks). Not that I care, the bike is awesome.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Seems I've bought an aprilia, not an MV. Out on a ride this morning and coming into a corner a bit hot (sooo easy to do on this :) ) I went for a dab of rear brake - nothing! When I pulled over later, the rear brake is non-existant, just like the last three Apes I've owned. Why is that a korean bike manufacturer can produce a $4k bike and have a rear brake that works, but the Italian manufacturers that have produced some amazing machines for over 50 years, can't seem to make a rear brake that works?!

I'll be watching now to see if the clocks start fogging up, the clutch fluid turns black, the main wiring conector under the seat starts melting and shorting out the whole system, a coil pack shits itself, and then at 10k the alternator craps out - then I'll know for sure it's an ape and not an MV! :naughty:

Seriously though, I did a search and didn't come up with anything, so hoping it's not a real problem. It's a bloody pain in the arse to have to keep bleeding the rear on the MV.
The weather cleared yesterday, took out the Brutale and got intimate with my rear brake, works great. Doesn't lock up like a motocross bike and since I'm not backing into my corners, I say, it works as designed.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Bikes have rear brakes? Wow I learn something new everyday on this awesome website :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Bled it on the weekend - working again.

Interesting some people never use their rear brake. What you do (on the road) if you enter a corner a bit hot, or if you have to change line half way thru to tip in harder? How do you settle it when it gets a bit loose through high speed tight twisties?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts