MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first post. But I hope in the future you'll be able to help me out.

I'm the Graphic Artist at Cagiva USA. In turn, I design all of the ads for MV Agusta along with shirt designs and so on (For the US). We're approaching a new year and I'll be thinking of new Ad campaigns. If any of you have any ideas I'm sure it would help.

I think the hardest ads this year will be for the CC, I've got some convincing to do.

Eddie.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Hi Eddie, welcome to the forum, there are some really artistic and creative members in the family, bet they will take up your offer!! I assume you ride an MV?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Eddie,

Welcome we have some very creative/designers on the forum. If I am not mistaken some are in the car design industry.

As far as the clothing sure would be nice to have it available for sale at the AMA races next year. It is just really darn hard to locate it for sizing concerns. If you don't have a dealer you can't size the stuff and why order somthing you have no idea will fit or not?

Other than that the designs, materials and over all quality is pretty top notch!

Let's us know if you need any other input.

Snoxie said:

I'm the Graphic Artist at Cagiva USA. In turn, I design all of the ads for MV Agusta along with shirt designs and so on (For the US). We're approaching a new year and I'll be thinking of new Ad campaigns. If any of you have any ideas I'm sure it would help.

I think the hardest ads this year will be for the CC, I've got some convincing to do.

Eddie.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'd think I'd ride, I just turned 22 though. I'll work on that in 07 for sure. I see all the bikes we have here, every single day. It gets me itch'n to try it out soon.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I don't have anything specific but have a general direciton. I'm pretty sure 2007 will be the year of the Ducati 1098. But what the Ducati wouldn't have is the prestige, exclusiveness, and design of the 1098 - which is probably important to the MV target market.

So, I'd try to design something to address the 1098's weak spots. I figure by the end of 2007, they'll be a 1098 on very block (so to speak) which will be a turn off to those who want something unique.

Some difference between the F4 and 1098 are:
- F4's timeless design vs. Ducati's 4 year redesign
- F4 designed by Massimo Tamburini vs. Ducati trying to go back to Massimo's 916 design
- F4's exclusive vs. 1098's mass market appeal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Allan Gibbs said:
I don't have anything specific but have a general direciton. I'm pretty sure 2007 will be the year of the Ducati 1098. But what the Ducati wouldn't have is the prestige, exclusiveness, and design of the 1098 - which is probably important to the MV target market.

So, I'd try to design something to address the 1098's weak spots. I figure by the end of 2007, they'll be a 1098 on very block (so to speak) which will be a turn off to those who want something unique.

Some difference between the F4 and 1098 are:
- F4's timeless design vs. Ducati's 4 year redesign
- F4 designed by Massimo Tamburini vs. Ducati trying to go back to Massimo's 916 design
- F4's exclusive vs. 1098's mass market appeal.
See its things like that, that I need to know. Thanks a lot! Obviously this business is very competitive, so as much as I'd like to share proofs and marketing ideas; you'll just have to wait for the ads to appear in Robb Report, Cycle World, and others next year.

But keep the input coming, I need all the help I can get. Italy normally comes up with the campaigns. We're trying to break mold and set our own pace this year. At least I am, as a designer.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Snoxie said:

Eddie.
How about price it as $150.000 and give a discount to $120.000.
Maybe some will people will buy it. :)

welcome to this forum

A

·
0 Posts
hey mate
yes we have some designers here on board. I personally am a senior art director in a multinational adverstising agency. I find it interesting that you say your a graphic artist, and yet you want to come up with an ad campaigns, normally you guys just do mac work not come up with creative. For that i applaud you, its good to see juniors and graphic artisits spread there wings. I have worked on honda motorcycles campaigns, and aslo suzuki motorcycle campaigns, so if i can help you with anything just send me a pm
cheers and good luck
p.s you have a wealth of knowledge here, lots of amazing, smart and passionate people here im sure many people here can provide you anything you may want to know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hb88xx said:
How about price it as $150.000 and give a discount to $120.000.
Maybe some will people will buy it. :)

welcome to this forum
LOL ... Haha... Nice, Yeah not sure if that will fly with the higher ups, haha good one though.

I think the main thing I need to pivot off of is the "precious metal" aspect. Somehow, somewhere, someone will just buy it for the looks, how many people do think will actually tear it up with the CC? Unless they've got enough $$ to fix the carbon fiber and magnesium parts.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Well, I don't really see the 1098 as a direct competitor to the MV in the long run. The 1098 is the death knoll for Aprillia unless they can come up with a 1100cc bike that's as good looking. It's trouble for the Japense bikes since you can get an "exotic" Italian bike for a few grand more. But in the long run (2-3 years), I think Ducati will loose a lot of the prestige when every stunter, poser, and track junkie has a 1098.

If anything, MV should try to market it's exclusiveness focus of the upscale market. I mentioned this before, but I would be great if MV could also offer a level of customization like a choice of order different combination of body panels and seats. That level of customization is something most other bike manufacturers don't have.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Race team Race team Race team :)

Positioning the bike as what they are isn't a reach. Rare, exotic, high performance machines for the passionate. This is the campaign in the EU and works for the marque.

The money on the race team is already spent and worth more than the sum of it's parts to potential new owners. This kind of history is invaluable to competitor companies, they don't have it!! A three way pin-wheel with a 500 GP bike, the 1000R AMA SBK then the street bike and a team motto, if they don't have one then something that doesn't assume anything but speaks to future potential so you're not letting a new potential customer down if there is a mechanical DNF or other minor issue.

Come up with a cooperative campaign with the title sponsor and cross market. Go beyond the print. You have a passionate crowd of owners who are raring to support their brand. Organize trackside meets and national buzz. Get people talking about the brand again and again.

Stay simple, elegant and let the viewer do the thinking.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I agree with JamesC we are not about competing or working on their failures, we are exclusive and we have a brand name that is just that exclusive - like no other!

The most important thing is to build on the strengths of what we already have and not lower our marketing to compete with lesser brands .... even though I would like one of the new Ducatis!!! LOL!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Snoxie said:
I think the main thing I need to pivot off of is the "precious metal" aspect. Somehow, somewhere, someone will just buy it for the looks, how many people do think will actually tear it up with the CC? Unless they've got enough $$ to fix the carbon fiber and magnesium parts.
Eddie, I think you would be surprised to learn how many owners use their MV's for track days... even Senna owners are not afraid to take them out and "tear it up". Dont focus on the replacement cost issue- we owners didnt take it into account when we bought the bike.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Also, I would hope that Cagiva has completed an owner's demographics study -- you need to review that and understand your market. I would venture a guess that they tend to be among the most affluent of sportbike purchasers...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Posted by Allan Gibbs, "the 1098 could be the death of Aprilia".
You may not be aware but Aprilia are launching a 1000 V4 which is derived from their new 550 motard twin and is rumored to be close to 200hp.. They have decided to go past the V twin and develop a 4, that they aim to rejoin SBK with.
Ducati is hoping the rules are changed in their favour for bigger capacity.
Crazy when they could build a beautiful V4, albeit not for the 1098 price.
I spoke with a Ducati factory rider at the track yesterday and he said Ducati down here is going for volume, plain and simple.

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Welcome aboard Snoxie! Great to have you here.

I think Allan has nailed it on the head. Agustas are timeless classics. They don't play catch up - everyone else catches up to them. A case in point: when everyone tried to copy the success of the Brutale, they didn't change the design in an attempt to gazzump the competition - they just made it sweeter by improving the engine.

Not everyone else has an Agusta. Heck, most people haven't even heard of it when I tell them. There will be a lot of 1098s out there soon, and they'll be ditched for the "next great thing" as soon as another trinket comes along. I don't think Agustas are like that - I think they add something to your life, and that means you'll always cherish them and the memories you made while riding them. In fact, my son wants me to give him the bike when he's old enough, and I think that would be a great idea.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
i have a design idea...

since we are already saying the "exclusivity" is what differentiates the MV from the new 1098, and since MV is going to be racing again and has drawn on it's heritage...how about an ad with a dude at a race track, racing or in the pits in a tux next to his 1000R. or any MV model for that matter. i'm a designer so i could desing the whole ad...shoot a whole campaign could be drawn from that concept imo.

the tux being the class act/upper niche, the track reference shows it's not just for coffee shops and living rooms. you could even have bug and tar stains all over the tux and the helmet to show the bike/rider is about business. there was a pic somewhere on this board where a MV exec was in his suit doing a burnout. that's the angle. just an humble idea. ;)

ps. and don't forget to include a hot chick in there somewhere....couldn't hurt :naughty:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I've always felt the concept comes first then the artwork so here are some ideas to perhaps design something around...

1 - I wouldn't mention Ducati in an ad for two reasons - If they want exposure, let them pay for it themselves. Second, you guys are at the top of the heap in terms of quality, fit and finish and exclusivity.

2 - If you wanted to *allude* to Ducati, you might want to refer to some customer satisfaction surveys or customer testimonials if you have any. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying my MV experience has been head and shoulders above any other Italian bike (or any bike) I've owned in terms of rider satisfaction.

3 - With Ferracci running the AMA Superbike effort, I'd think about doing something with that along with MV's racing tradition and heritage.

4 - Another direction to consider... Matt Lynn posted (on this website) some very interesting comments on his first MV track experience, basically raving about how impressed he was with his first ride on an MV - and he is an experienced superbike racer. So maybe something form a racer's pioint of view - but the above stuff has wider appeal as a first prong of the effort.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I agree with MV. It's okay to allude to but to directly point out the competition isn't very classy.

Also, I'd try to stay away from any rich "poser" implications. Ever Starbuck racers want to look hardcore. As others mentioned, heritage and racing images (old MV next to a current R in race trim) would be a good image. Follow with the words to convey exclusiveness, design, and performance.

A

·
0 Posts
hey again snokie
can you perhaps shed some light on whether the cagiva mito 500, and the cagiva mito sp will be actually comming out, and how much and when
cheers

1 - 20 of 63 Posts