MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My F4 has an Arrow exhaust, I guess it's what they call "RG3". It has four tips like the OEM. The tip has a rounded edge, but I'm thinking that there should be an inner tube so the gas goes out straight. With my tips, it seems that where the metal "curls" there would be a lot of turbulence. Anyway, I'm not even sure that I'm explaining this right. Please look at the two attached pictures and tell me if it looks correct, or somebody did some kind of butcher job on it and took something out. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The two pipes on the inside have "Arrow" stamped on them. The outside pipes have "MV Agusta 90376" stamped. Should I do something about the cone, tube, and packing missing?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
It'll be fine Franco. The tips will get a little warm but other than that it's no biggie. The previous owner must have been going for the "un-silenced" sound. Just go with it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, thanks. One last question about the exhaust: see the picture attached. The disc has a little hole in it. Why the little hole?

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw the Gazman mod thread. So if I were to drill more holes through that disc, and another one behind it, then the exhaust would be louder and less restrictive?

·
Banned
1,449 Posts
My F4 has an Arrow exhaust, I guess it's what they call "RG3". It has four tips like the OEM. The tip has a rounded edge, but I'm thinking that there should be an inner tube so the gas goes out straight. With my tips, it seems that where the metal "curls" there would be a lot of turbulence. Anyway, I'm not even sure that I'm explaining this right. Please look at the two attached pictures and tell me if it looks correct, or somebody did some kind of butcher job on it and took something out. Thanks.
These are the end tips that are missing.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,212 Posts
Franco;
Stephen Wood has your missing tip parts......i don't know how the sneaky little devil did it......but he has them:)

:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Without the vent hole it would be like farting in a wetsuit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies and pictures. So if I wanted to take the exhaust cans apart, I would need to start by drilling out the rivets, right? Now, when I want to put them back together what type and size rivet would I need?

·
Banned
1,449 Posts
Thanks for the replies and pictures. So if I wanted to take the exhaust cans apart, I would need to start by drilling out the rivets, right? Now, when I want to put them back together what type and size rivet would I need?
3 mm Dia X 6mm long S/S :f4:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At great cost to my hands and back muscles, I was able to get the tips off. I attached a few pictures. I am "baffled" by this. I drilled the little hole bigger to be able to get out all the broken pieces of rivets, and also to see better what's behind. I read the posts about drilling holes through two baffles in order to get a louder sound. Well, there is only one baffle in mine. And the cavity behind the baffle is useless. I don't get it. It seems that somebody took a blow torch to this thing. Could you look at the pictures and tell me what you see? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Read some more

At great cost to my hands and back muscles, I was able to get the tips off. I attached a few pictures. I am "baffled" by this. I drilled the little hole bigger to be able to get out all the broken pieces of rivets, and also to see better what's behind. I read the posts about drilling holes through two baffles in order to get a louder sound. Well, there is only one baffle in mine. And the cavity behind the baffle is useless. I don't get it. It seems that somebody took a blow torch to this thing. Could you look at the pictures and tell me what you see? Thanks in advance.
The second baffle/restriction, is a lot further in than the hole you just drilled.

How loud do you want the bike to be.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Donsy:

Thanks for that picture with the muffler all cut up. The second baffle that is a lot further in, is it what I marked with a red line on the picture below, basically the back wall of the muffler? Also, the two outer tubes (where the rivets go) are barely welded to the muffler. If I drill through the back wall of the muffler, wouldn't gas leak through the crack? It seems that I would have to take it to a welder and weld all around to seal it, no?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Donsy:

Thanks for that picture with the muffler all cut up. The second baffle that is a lot further in, is it what I marked with a red line on the picture below, basically the back wall of the muffler? Also, the two outer tubes (where the rivets go) are barely welded to the muffler. If I drill through the back wall of the muffler, wouldn't gas leak through the crack? It seems that I would have to take it to a welder and weld all around to seal it, no?
I did get mine welded when I did this mod years ago, simply because half of the welds where cracked or broken in any case Franco.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I finished the drilling and tested the bike. It went from loud to LOUD. Pulling the tips off is a royal pain. Putting them back on is a piece of cake.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts