·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think I FINALLY found front end settings that work better

On the Forks

I adjusted my preload 12.5 turns out from full "soft"

I adjusted my rebound damping 6 turns out from full "stiff"

The compression is about two clicks stiffer than the manufacturer's settings.

Seems to work good for me. The vague feeling from the front end is gone.

On the Rear

The rear seems a bit chattery now. I gotta play with the rear or maybe run a lower psi in the back to help the suspension work better. I put some air in the tires this morning and I may have over inflated so that could be the chatter I'm feeling from the rear. But the front is like night and day on the brakes now.

The rear is +5 on hi speed compression and +3 on low speed compression. Rebound is +3 towards stiffness over the manufacturer's suggestions.

I rode in to work this Sunday morning (doh) and I was pleasantly surprised at how different the bike felt with only a couple of clicks here and there.

I'm 210 pounds without gear. 225 fully suited for the track and 215 in regular gear.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Vague feeling in the front end?? :wtf:
You talking about your MV? :toothless
If there's the MV doesn't have is a vague front :naughty:

Did you measured your SAG with those settings or just clicked around?
And have you been riding the Duc or haven't rode it for a long time? I know how "strange" the MV can feel after coming from the 999 and vice versa.

Anyway, glad to know it's working for you :)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MV-999R said:
Vague feeling in the front end?? :wtf:
You talking about your MV? :toothless
If there's the MV doesn't have is a vague front :naughty:

Did you measured your SAG with those settings or just clicked around?
And have you been riding the Duc or haven't rode it for a long time? I know how "strange" the MV can feel after coming from the 999 and vice versa.

Anyway, glad to know it's working for you :)
The sag is set to about 25mm

I'm glad I finally got it figured out because I started to hate the bike at one point.

I've been riding my Duc since '04.

I've read in a few other places that the MV came delivered with a poor set up. It's not the first time it's happened. I'm definitely a "mental" rider.

I hate to admit it, but I'm more Ben Bostrom than Troy Bayliss. Setup has gotta be near perfect.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Turbo329 said:
On the Forks

I adjusted my preload 12.5 turns out from full "soft"

I adjusted my rebound damping 6 turns out from full "stiff"

The compression is about two clicks stiffer than the manufacturer's settings.

Seems to work good for me. The vague feeling from the front end is gone.

On the Rear

The rear seems a bit chattery now. I gotta play with the rear or maybe run a lower psi in the back to help the suspension work better. I put some air in the tires this morning and I may have over inflated so that could be the chatter I'm feeling from the rear. But the front is like night and day on the brakes now.

The rear is +5 on hi speed compression and +3 on low speed compression. Rebound is +3 towards stiffness over the manufacturer's suggestions.

I rode in to work this Sunday morning (doh) and I was pleasantly surprised at how different the bike felt with only a couple of clicks here and there.

I'm 210 pounds without gear. 225 fully suited for the track and 215 in regular gear.

Vague feeling?!?! Wow......you're front suspension must have been WAY out......

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
exduc said:
Vague feeling?!?! Wow......you're front suspension must have been WAY out......
It was totally.

But now it's much better and I feel like I can do good things with the bike now. I'm tempted to track it out next season.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Turbo329 said:
It was totally.

But now it's much better and I feel like I can do good things with the bike now. I'm tempted to track it out next season.
Do it, we're all interested to hear how you go with it and you/we won't know until it's out there again.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rockethouse said:
Do it, we're all interested to hear how you go with it and you/we won't know until it's out there again.
lol thanks.

Sharkskinz for the MV are on my winter "To Buy" list. Along with that full titanium exhaust with a PCIII and custom map. :yo:

I can't have the new MV1000R bikes running away from me! lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts