MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks.
On Wednesday I took a B 800 for a test ride which lasted for over two hours. A mix of city, freeway, highway and twisty back roads was covered.
Wow, I was impressed, I really liked the engine and the way it started to SING so beautifully at 6500-7000 RPM's That "song" can't be described you need to be experience it.

The bike suited me well being 5,9" (175cm) with a 30" inseam. It handled very well and with no vibrations. Some reviewers have complained about the seat being hard. I didn't think it was. I liked the distance to the handle bar, made you lean a bit forward in a comfy position, I would say sporty, ready for action. You also could cruise around looking at the flowers.
Comparing with my last road bike a KTM SMT 990cc it was a huge difference. I never enjoyed the twin's short power band. The triple suits me perefect. And the KTM felt like a heavy moped comparing with the agile MV with plenty of power on the tap if you wanted.
I didn't push it by any means even had it in Touring mode all the time.
I'll get one, have the cash needed within six weeks. It will be a perfect allround bike for me. The dealer has one 2014 Italia with ABS left which I'm thinking about.
If anyone here are thinking about getting a B 800 and have questions please ask and I'll give you my two cents. It's definately NOT a bike for a beginner.
Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Pretty much agreed on all accounts except for the beginner part. Very easy to ride :) no matter what bike a beginner gets they can ALWAYS get in to trouble. Full disclosure: my first bike was my MV Senna. Never rode a bike before that.

·
Registered
632 Posts
In German motorcycle magazine they say the traction control does not work even in the latest model 800 RR.

If you ever had a high sider, a working TC is a must (if you want to push hard).

So I think I'm in the market for a RSV4 with high adjustable bars (ABM Multiclip)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Pretty much agreed on all accounts except for the beginner part. Very easy to ride :) no matter what bike a beginner gets they can ALWAYS get in to trouble. Full disclosure: my first bike was my MV Senna. Never rode a bike before that.
Amen, my first bike is my B3 800. It's all about the rider here. Can I push my bike to it's limits and beyond? Not even close. But can I ride and enjoy it safely, comfortably, and with confidence? Of course!

·
Registered
845 Posts
I test rode the 990SMR and it did nothing to my manly parts. It's a good bike but not nearly as much fun as it looks like. My previous bike was a Moto Morini Corsaro 1200 Veloce and i wanted something more touring like. The SMT is about the only bike that came to mind.

Little butterflies took over common sense and i had to buy yet another naked bike. When i finally got one it wasn't love at first sight but it grew on me and now i love it. I however miss my Corsaro at times, it's engine is a real beast but also nice for touring since it has truck loads of torque.

And i agree the B3 is not that good a bike to begin with. The headshaking could easily get a novice into trouble. A few suspension tweaks takes care of that problem makeing it easy to drive. Corsaro is much more stable but stock mapping sometimes causes massive surges in power causing the front wheel to lift mid corner. That's very dangerous.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What are these tweaks you speak of? Im thinking hard about getting the Dragster RR. I currently ride a Monster 1100 evo and a Speed Triple. Both are fairly docile bikes when it comes to riding, both take corners very easily the monster especially. Ive never had any headshake even when hammering them out of corners.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
What are these tweaks you speak of? Im thinking hard about getting the Dragster RR. I currently ride a Monster 1100 evo and a Speed Triple. Both are fairly docile bikes when it comes to riding, both take corners very easily the monster especially. Ive never had any headshake even when hammering them out of corners.

Many of us have found the suspension poorly set up from stock, far too little rebound damping front and rear making things pretty unstable on a bumpy surface, especially going into corners, thankfully the worst of it can be dialled out quite easily. As for the RR it has upgraded suspension (well a fancy coating at least) so it could be a different beast?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gotcha, and that make sense. Hopefully the RR will have an upgraded suspension but im not counting on this.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Gotcha, and that make sense. Hopefully the RR will have an upgraded suspension but im not counting on this.
I'm afraid its only a steering damper....:smoking:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts