MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I brought my 2002 BMW K1200LT to the dealer to be traded in. a lot of you know that i will also be trading in my 2005 BMW R1200GS......
to buy the 2007 Brutale 910R and 2007 BMW K1200GT

while there, trying to make the "DEAL"
i was able to ride 25 miles on twisty roads on the Brutale 910S

my impressions?
first of all.... something about me
43 years old
riding since age 14
150,000 miles of on-road time
a few track experiences (very few)
most miles have been on back roads.... short and long trips
80K miles have been 2-up with my wife and other couples on long, fantastic journeys around north america
current bikes:
2002 BMW K1200LT
2005 BMW R1200GS
.... 2001 GSX-R750..... now sold

the brutale to me?
- remember this was the bike on the showroom floor/141 miles on the clock/NOT broken in/tires were pirellis and WERE scrubbed in
94 degrees/4:30pm/hot hot hot road surface

- amazing sound..... gives you goosebumps... exhilerating
- grabby clutch/weird friction zone... compared to other bikes i've ridden
- really felt the 55 inch wheelbase (a great thing)... the roads we were on are well-known to me... big twisties.... no elevation changes (this IS florida)
- turn-in is "telepathic" (i can't wait to feel the turn-in of the "R" with it's 8# lighter FORGED wheels
- horrible brakes..... ok.... they aren't broken in yet, but compared to BMW brakes (as weird as you folks might want to think they are) they stunk...
weak/mushy (yes..... maybe there WAS air in the lines/etc...
the brembo monoblocks will be worth EVERY PENNY to me

- great riding position... comfortable
- throttle a bit stiff/hurt hand a little/grips are TINY
oh, that sound
that unbelievable sound
wow

never went above 7K rpm... only 140 miles, remember

the final verdict..
i LOVE the bike
it'll take some getting used to for me
but..
i can't wait

sorry if i am late to this party and this info is boring and redundant to most of you....
however..... i'm still GIGGLING from the experience

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
261 Posts
spalding12 said:
I brought my 2002 BMW K1200LT to the dealer to be traded in. a lot of you know that i will also be trading in my 2005 BMW R1200GS......
to buy the 2007 Brutale 910R and 2007 BMW K1200GT

while there, trying to make the "DEAL"
i was able to ride 25 miles on twisy roads on the Brutale 910S

my impressions?
first of all.... something about me
43 years old
riding since age14
150,000 miles of on-road time
a few track experiences (very few)
most miles have been on back roads.... short and long trips
80K miles have been 2-up with my wife and other couples on long, fantastic journeys around north america
current bikes:
2002 BMW K1200LT
2005 BMW R1200GS
.... 2001 GSX-R750..... now sold

the brutale to me?
- remember this was the bike on the showroom floor/141 miles on the clock/NOT broken in/tires were pirellis and WERE scrubbed in
94 degrees/4:30pm/hot hot hot road surface

- amazing sound..... gives you goosebumps... exhilerating
- grabby clutch/weird friction zone... compared to other bikes i've ridden
- really felt the 55 inch wheelbase (a great thing)... the roads we were on are well-known to me... big twisties.... no elevation changes (this IS florida)
- turn-in is "telepathic" (i can't wait to feel the turn-in of the "R" with it's 8# lighter FORGED wheels
- horrible brakes..... ok.... they aren't broken in yet, but compared to BMW brakes (as weird as you folks might want to think they are) they stunk...
weak/mushy (yes..... maybe there WAS air in the lines/etc...
the brembo monoblocks will be worth EVERY PENNY to me

- great riding position... comfortable
- throttle a bit stiff/hurt hand a little/grips are TINY
oh, that sound
that unbelievable sound
wow

the final verdict..
i LOVE the bike
it'll take some getting used to for me
but..
i can't wait

sorry if i am late to this party and this info is boring and redundant to most of you....
however..... i'm still GIGGLING from the experience

Wait till you get past break-in, do about 1500 miles and take the cat converter off. She screams to a new level with about three distinctive harmonic howls all the to red line, extremely addictive. BTW, I have'nt had any issues with the brakes, they work for the F4 and the work fine for the Brutale, 6 pistons will haul you down very quick, Nissin has been making brakes for quite awhile.

Lorenzo

·
Registered
756 Posts
Greg, I think your fairly captured the bike. The combination of handling, power and exhaust note can't be beat. You will get used to it quicker than you think. My brakes are fine...and that's compared to my K1200s or R1200GS. The K1200GT looks better in person. The engine is great. Too bad on the GS...but overall the trade looks good. :)

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lorenzotx said:
Wait till you get past break-in, do about 1500 miles and take the cat converter off. She screams to a new level with about three distinctive harmonic howls all the to red line, extremely addictive. BTW, I have'nt had any issues with the brakes, they work for the F4 and the work fine for the Brutale, 6 pistons will haul you down very quick, Nissin has been making brakes for quite awhile.

Lorenzo

1. i'm sure that the brakes will get better

2. i'm glad you said "harmonics"
because there were 2 distinctive notes to that exhaust.... which was cool and unusual to me

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MVorBMW said:
Greg, I think your fairly captured the bike. The combination of handling, power and exhaust note can't be beat. You will get used to it quicker than you think. My brakes are fine...and that's compared to my K1200s or R1200GS. The K1200GT looks better in person. The engine is great. Too bad on the GS...but overall the trade looks good. :)
i am STRUGGLING with the trade issue
do i do what i said....

keep the GS and forget about the GS for now.....
and just have the 910R and GS?

·
Registered
261 Posts
spalding12 said:
1. i'm sure that the brakes will get better

2. i'm glad you said "harmonics"
because there were 2 distinctive notes to that exhaust.... which was cool and unusual to me
I really noticed the "harmonics" recently, after putting on the midpipe. There is the initial low end growl, followed by the rising mid range howl with a demonic scream from hell towards redline, all followed by an evil giggle and laugh by the rider.

Lorenzo

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
spalding12 said:
HA!!! That engine was still sleeping!!!

Ride it like a rental car!!!!!

Do not baby these engines! I have seen more engines ruined by gentle break ins. The BMW boxer engine is a fine case with the glazed cylinder walls and oil consumption. If you ever saw what they do to engines at the factory you might faint.

These are basically race engines, use them as they were designed to run.
Piston rings seat within 20-80 miles.

I do this to my NEW engines.
www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

As far as the brakes, the Nissins were always noted as slightly weak and wooden. Wait till you feel the one finger Brembos. :eek: :eek: :eek:

John T

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
airfuel said:
HA!!! That engine was still sleeping!!!

Ride it like a rental car!!!!!

Do not baby these engines! I have seen more engines ruined by gentle break ins. The BMW boxer engine is a fine case with the glazed cylinder walls and oil consumption. If you ever saw what they do to engines at the factory you might faint.

These are basically race engines, use them as they were designed to run.
Piston rings seat within 20-80 miles.

I do this to my NEW engines.
www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

As far as the brakes, the Nissins were always noted as slightly weak and wooden. Wait till you feel the one finger Brembos. :eek: :eek: :eek:

John T
hey john
i felt bad to blast away on that DEMO bike...
i guess that i shouldn't

you don't have to tell me about the oil use of my "R" BMW
i had a 1996 BMW R1100RT that used 1 quart/1,500 miles even after 35K miles...
BUT...
i broke the motor in HARD...
against manufacturers recommendations

those boxers all use oil no matter WHAT you do

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
756 Posts
It's a tough call on the trade. I was going to sell my GS when I bought my Ago, but then decided to sell a vintage bike instead when I didn't get a good price for the GS. After getting an F4 I'm glad I kept it, and think I'm more likely to lose the K12s vs. the GS. You can't go wrong with either the K1200GT or the GS. It sounds like you do a fair amount of touring...maybe the new K is more of a purer tourer. But the new GS is such a good bike. And you can always get the K... :conveyer:

spalding12 said:
do i do what i said....

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MVorBMW said:
It's a tough call on the trade. I was going to sell my GS when I bought my Ago, but then decided to sell a vintage bike instead when I didn't get a good price for the GS. After getting an F4 I'm glad I kept it, and think I'm more likely to lose the K12s vs. the GS. You can't go wrong with either the K1200GT or the GS. It sounds like you do a fair amount of touring...maybe the new K is more of a purer tourer. But the new GS is such a good bike. And you can always get the K... :conveyer:
i hear you loud and clear
i'm going to be struggling with this decision for the next 3 weeks until those 2 bikes come in

i just can't see myself with a GS and Brutale R...
that really leaves no TRUE 2-UP bike (my wife has ridden 80K miles 2-up with me and i don't think that the GS is HER cup of tea)

·
Registered
261 Posts
spalding12 said:
do i do what i said....

To cover the entire motorcycle spectrum, I would keep the GS and have the Brutale as well. I have a V Strom and the 910S which covers most of the types of riding I am likely to engage in. BTW, do you have the new GS or the older oilhead? I have owned both an airhead GS/PD and an oilhead model and they are great touring machines with occasional dirt duty if required. I bought the V Strom as a GS replacement and it has been a great touring/dirt road machine for the money.

Lorenzo

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
180 Posts
lorenzotx said:
BTW, I have'nt had any issues with the brakes, they work for the F4 and the work fine for the Brutale, 6 pistons will haul you down very quick.
Lorenzo

Ditto that I like the progressive nature of the Nissin brakes on the 910s. Awesome stopping power, just a little more lever effort required. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey Greg, just got back from holiday and was delighted to read about your demo experience. Hopefully that removed any doubt that might have lingered and apparently posed some new more difficult questions. Great review which I agree with completely, except I thought the brakes were fine - as good as the Brembos, NO WAY but still very adequate in my opinion. Once I get back onto USA time, I'll try and give you a call over the weekend to chat. Take care and congrats.

Stuart

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
35 Posts
The vacation was incrediable, thanks for asking and I'll give you some details when we speak instead of cluttering up the forum. But I would like to comment on how wonderful it is to see all the two wheelers throughout France, especially Paris. It's a different world there and the people use scooters/motorcycles mostly for transportation and the cages are VERY respectful of them. On every street corner you'll literally find dozens of bikes parked in designated two wheel locations - it's just a totally different mindset. Based on my seat of pants observations, I found very little motorcycles in the city actually, where it seemed more practical to ride a scooter. Did visit "motorcycle row" while in Paris which was a blast - every brand on one city block - pick you favorite. Unfortunately, no MV's on display but if you wanted a scooter, there much be at least two dozen different brands to choose from and then all the models within the brand.

All I can say is I really missed my bike and can't wait to get over this stupid jet lag thing - gotta ride after seeing all those folks over there. Was going to arrange my long test drive for tomorrow, but will need to wait a bit because I'm not feeling back to normal yet. I don't want to make a hasty decision - it will wait till I'm feeling right.

FYI, for my journey I read the Zen & The Art Of Motorcycle Maintanence which was very interesting. If you enjoy a "life philosphy" read with motorcycles as the medifore, then I would recommend picking up a copy.

Talk soon,
Stuart

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 38 Posts