MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I really don't understand some of you guys. Really I don't and it's not meant to be an insult. But to me it seems a there is a lot of bad attitude towards the 2010 F4 mainly because it's pricing potentally makes it more affordable to more people as such you'd lose your "elite" status.

I look at the 2010 I see tons of positives enough to make be go back to an MV. For starters I love the fact that they stayed true to the MV F4 look and didn't go the 999 or super ugly route Japan has gone the past few years. But while staying true to the original they've changed enough so that you can get a taste of Adrian's styling, as well as having addressed a few common issues MV owners have long complained about. Yet now you guys complain? I don't get it

Changes were made to address the heat issues and improve airflow, yet you guys complain.

Now out the box the fueling is better (I never thought it was bad to begin with) and again you guys complain.

Funny all the comments about how cheap the exhaust and fender looks, this despite the fact that these are things you guys all seem to replace anyway.

As a previous owner of 3 MVs I have to say that I guess I was one of those rare people who it seems the bike was molded for. It fit me perfectly and I loved it. So while that was the case the new bike is different but it's not drasticly different and nothing I didn't quickly get use to.

for me personly I love the new design and the fact that they dropped the extra CCs and are taking on the rest of the litre bike field straight up. I am not impressed by electronics and have no use for them, and disable them on any bike I have that comes with them so the fact that it's not as complex at BMW's or Ducati isn't an issue for me. I prefer to ride and control the bike not the other way around. "full throttle" doesn't mean full motor and that's pretty much all I have to say about electronics

I think the bike is incredible and reminds me why I loved MVs in the first place. My only "complaints" are that I'm not a fan of double bubble screens and prefeer low profile screens (no worries will have one made). No Mono option and the fact that the air vents underneath the belly pan require that I remove the lower fairing when loading in the truck. Again not a big issue as it all will be replaced with race bodywork

If I'm in the minority then I'll just say that I think MV (HD influence or not) did a great job with the 2010. They did their best to try and address known issues of the past, improve performance and move the design forward enough while still making sure it looked like an MV (kind of like Lambo and Porche) and not simply just add CCs and put a fancy paint job on it as was the trend in the past. The only question for me now is to see how support and reliability will be.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Good point Ronin, I'm totally with You on this. I just do not have the bucks for it.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
The new MV is definitely a good bike.

All the nitpicking that goes on is just that, nitpicking. But that's okay.

I've been a fan of Adrian since the Benelli. But, at the end of the day, some will prefer the smoother lines of the older model and others will prefer this new modern look.

The truth is that once Liter bikes cracked the 140hp mark, 95 percent of motorcyclists could not extract all of the performance that is offered to the public. This reasoning alone is the reason why I personally have not bought into the R,312, 1078, and now this version. I can't use it all.

Novelty always causes a stir and it's because our brains are so advanced that we need "Newness" to be continually stimulated and satiated. In spite of all the novelty, the fact of the matter is that in some ways the new bike is superior, and in other ways it is inferior to the old one. But that's not just with MV, that goes with any make. Take for example the Kawasaki ZX-10. The new bike is inferior to flickability to the 2004 version but it is superior in the area of refinement. There's always a trade off.

Man's scientific and engineering practice has not evolved to the point where we can have our cake and actually eat it. Engineers have not figured out how to design a perfectly stable bike and have it perfectly flickable at the same time. They strive to find that sweet spot and every year we get closer. If our bikes were perfect we would not have to come out with a new version every 2-4 years. Even at the Moto GP level riders complain of flaws.

So in the end it's just a matter of buying the bike that helps us reach our own potential as riders that we lust for. For some that means having the latest and greatest, for others that means what helps them lap the fastest, for others it's a bond. All of these purchases for many are emotional purchases. Because for the vast majority, maybe even 99% of us, it sure isn't rational.

Rant over.

·
Ball & Chain magnet
3,027 Posts
I'm just jealous that I'm too poor to buy the new model......

so I'll just keep mine that I have now!

·
Administrator
20,738 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ronin05.....+1 on your comments.

Race body? will you be doing track days exclusively, or also some street riding?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I personally don't like the new styling but mechanically she sounds great. I'm happy for anything that will help Agusta continue on...

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think it's even more simple. Show me somebody who has the new bike but says they like the old model better or vice versa... you can't find'm. People just want to believe what they have is the best because it might transfer and therefor make them the best rider or the smartest at least.

Look at how people (forum posters) slag off former GP, WSBK, AMA, BSB racers turned journos when they don't pick the bike they own as the best. Instead they accuse the rider/journalists, (who often have ridden every sportbike made for the last 10 years, as well as top level race bikes, and who have an actually point of reference,) as shit and don't know what they're talking about, take bribes from Honda for advertising, bla bla, bla.

The old bike was gorgeous. Nice rounded edges. Starting to look big and heavy compared to 2010 models. The new bike is also gorgeous and has sharp edges and it now looks up to date. Things have to move forward, the spirit of the original is still very much there.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Any time a manufacturer brings out a replacement model you will get this, it's just human nature, it's like the whole world (inc the manufacturer) is saying:

'The new bike is better than the old one'................and people who own the 'old' bike are quite rightly going to jump up in defence of it, it happens on all the other forums,

It's also happening with the thread starter ( Ronin05 ) talking about the electronics of the Ducati and BMW, he says 'I like to control the bike and not the other way around' he's justifying his purchase and defending it against the high tech of such bikes in exactly the same way owners of older F4's are doing against the new one

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
+1 on the comments.

When you're an MV-fanatic, you don't reason...you feel. The old F4 was bought by passion and the new F4 is often chosen by reason (still with some passion but a tad less). That is why, in my opinion, there will always be some discrepancies between the actual improvements on the Y10 models and some of the old F4 owners' (fanatics!) reactions.

...you feel me? :-D

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
In all honesty, the $6500 price drop can buy a whole lot of carbon pieces, a new exhaust and a fairing vent mesh kit. Thats about all thats needed to make that bike totally awesome!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Turbo329: At least you honest....nothing wrong about having bragging rights. But the previous statement about usable power is why I don't care for electronics. If the bike only needs 60% power/throttle in a situation then I want to be in control of that, not I'll just open the throttle full and let the bike decide what I need. To me that's not fun

Yes I only ride track so it will be converted to track only. But that is what kind of frustrates me about MV ownership. To each his own, but it sucks that most of the aftermarket stuff for the MV is cosmetic in nature.

And on the nature of people....well it's cool to see people understood what I was trying to say as it doesn't happen often. lol There are things I prefer about the old and things I prefer about the new. Would love to have my old ones to share the garage with the new one. Seanomatic put it best, the old one was great, but the new one looks fresh and update to date while still clearly retaining the spirit of the original. At first glance I hated the square pipes. Up until I saw the top down pic and then I understood and it made sense.

I do understand how fans of the original can be turned off by the 2010. I shouldn't say this on thins forum but I thought the 2004/05/06 Yamaha rivaled the MV and Ducati in beauty. It was elegant and I just loved it. The slight changes they made for 07 just ruined the bike for me. I admitted that performance wise it was better but I hated the look. and with the 09 that pretty much ended any chance of me getting another R1. As turbo said for me it's about a connection I have with a bike. It needs to speak to me. It doesn't have to be the highest rated performer. But it does have to move me emotionally.

After I parted with my last MV I didn't think I'd ever get another. The Rs, 312, 1078 (nothing against any of them) didn't do anything to change my feeling on that. it took less then 30min of looking and reading about the 2010 F4 for me to decide I wanted one. So far that definately was the correct choice

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
+1 on the comments.

When you're an MV-fanatic, you don't reason...you feel. The old F4 was bought by passion and the new F4 is often chosen by reason (still with some passion but a tad less). That is why, in my opinion, there will always be some discrepancies between the actual improvements on the Y10 models and some of the old F4 owners' (fanatics!) reactions.

...you feel me? :-D
actually I don't. Where is the missing passion in the 2010? The fender and exhaust welds on my original 2001 MV were far worse looking then on the 2010. So sorry I don't understand.

Then you look at the fact that MV was been a financial black hole for everyone who has put money into them. So something has to change if you want to keep seeing MVs. I mean Piaggio were doing fine, hooked up with MV, damn near went broke. sold MV off. Got with Aprilia and are doing great. Over simplified I know but still.

I look at the 2010 and I still see the level of detail and care put into the design. It's catch 22. You guys what advancement but then when you get it you say, well it's not like it use to be.

Ok seating position is slightly less aggressive then it used to be. Even saying that it's still more aggressive then my R1 or 1198S. The base model has the trickest dash and features of any base model around...so again I don't see how they are catering to the masses or have lost the passion. The bike still looks and feels like an MV. No it's not for everyone and if you prefer the old that's great. I just hate that instead of just saying you prefer the old. people knock on the new one about being a second rate knockoff

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Ronin, enjoy your new MV and dont worry too much about what others think. In the end, its your bike and only your thoughts that count.

·
Jason + Stanley Knife + D.I.Y = Casualty and
1,061 Posts
true true

i dont have any real issues with my 06 f4

but saying that i dont like the hoofing great holes in the fairings of the 10 model
plastics look cheap and nasty (more expense for carbon)
exhaust i like a lot
performance my tho has more than enough
they dont do blue and silver but i like th ti scheme
i can afford a new model
i'd rather buy a senna tho or tambo as they mean more to me

but thats just me

·
Registered
418 Posts
ronin nice post; i am very interested in the '10 F4 but will not buy one (hence, likely an '11) until the current design/setup has been around for at least 1 year to see if cooling issues (constant overheating and very fragile radiators) have truly been addressed; the biggest disappointment of my bike (which I love) is that I have to literally plan my rides around the ambient temperature and how many towns there are; i cant just simply "go out and ride" lest I have to deal with the "260 blinkies."

BTW is that your bike, and if so, can you post several more pix? I kinda' like the all black bikes and thats the first decent photo i've seen of the '10 ;)

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I think you bring up some good points, but then I've not even seen a 2010 F4 in the flesh yet, let alone ridden one. I'm not in a position to 'upgrade' my F4 financially, but even if I was, I'm quite happy with my ageing 1000S. Not many of the latest offerings from any manufuacturer really get me thinking I must have one of these. If I could afford it. I'd probably opt for an Aprillia RSV4 but I wouldn't sell my F4 to get one. From what I've seen and heard of the 2010 F4, I don't think I would buy one, but there's no doubting it's a worthy succesor to those which have gone before. I also agree with your points about MV not going down the Ducati 999 route, sorry 999 owners but I never did like those.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
THANK YOU!!!

Originally, I wasn't to fond of the new design. And, I can understand some people wanting more of a change but it didn't happen. Regardless, the 2010 MV is still one of the nicest looking bikes out there -especially when you consider motorcycle styling has gone down the toilet recently.

As for exclusiveness, COME ON!!! Most MV owners are riding $20,000 to $25,000 motorcycles -which anyone who could buy a Honda Accord can buy. Sorry, but spending $25,000 on a bike doesn't make you a "Somebody." Buy a $65,000 and we'll talk. It's like the Lotus Elise guys who think they're driving a $200,000 super car even thought they bought it used for $30,000 - or new for $40,000. The MVF's fit and finish? Do you remember the fake carbon fiber on the early MVs? Quality? Remember the over heating problems or the cracked radiator - that cause me to defect from MV last year?

The way I see it is, and as someone mentioned, the 2010 flaming is because some of you don't want to spend $18,500 + tax and fees for the new bike and need to justify why your bike is better. In that case, be objective, see what the 2010 is and just enjoy what you have. You don't need to buy the bike - or you don't need to buy the bike right now.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Here's a trick question:

If MV Agusta itself said that the old model was designed with the track in mind and the new model was designed with the street rider in mind, which one makes the better track bike?

Does newer always equal better? Francesco Chili didn't think so when he raced the old 998 style bike over the 999. There's too many variables and a lot of people get suckered into the marketing hype. In this case the 999 worked well for Bayliss but not for Chili. The Ducati worked for Stoner but not for Melandri. The Yamaha worked for Rossi but not for Biaggi. The list goes on and on. So 'Better' depends on the subject and it's application.

That's why I think it's funny when everyone posting that the new bike is 'this or that' 'better' or 'faster' would probably not go any faster on the track or the twisties with the newer bike than the old model. I'm not trying to sound like I have a chip on my shoulder or sitting on a high horse but unless any of us are running a single digit number in any race series, then we're all blowing smoke out of our rears when we talk about performance. Yes, myself included. Sure we can make observations about traction control, the light feel of the bike, and so on, but it stops there. Everything else touches on the vanity aspect of riding.

If we wanted to all be riding the pinnacle of street bike technology then we'd all be lining up to buy beemers. Love it or Hate it, credit must be given to any body that dominates every category including, electronics, Power, Power delivery, braking, affordability, etc.

Let's say our brains and riding ability evolved to perfection and humanity came up with the perfect motorcycle, perfect handling, power delivery, aerodynamics, perfect everything, what would be your criteria for purchasing a bike? It would no doubt be the styling.

Therefore, to most if not all of us, any bike could theoretically be our perfect motorcycle since every liter bike on the market is so far beyond our abilities. If you like red, pick the red one. If you like blue, then pick the blue one because very few of us if any can offer any credible data on why the new model is better than the old whether we want to see it that way or not. (I acknowledge that it very well may be better than the old in many ways)

So if you want the new one, go out and buy it. Just don't feel like you have to push it or sell it on guys rocking the older stuff. There are lots of us here who can handily afford to go buy a new one but choose not to for whatever reason. Besides, having a superiority complex gets expensive quick. :laughing:

.....and Randy has the most toys. so, GAME OVER!

1 - 20 of 198 Posts