MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is the thing. I just did my first track day ever by attending the two day (level I and level II) CSS camp at Pocono raceway. Now all I can think about is getting back to the track. I will go back to CSS in August for level III. I have and will use the school's bikes for these classes. My dilemma now is whether to go out and buy an inexpensive track bike (a used japanese appliance) or track my Brutale. I am a novice and like the rest of you have emotional ties to my bike. If I ever dumped the Brutale I would be severely bummed. On the other hand, I would love to track the Brutale and use its performance for what it was intended. I know many of you track your F4s and Brutales. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
You're addicted now, there's no way back from the track :king:

My advice is for you to buy a used jap 600cc (an R6 or a CBR RR) and track it. It's not that expensive and there's lots of cheap spares in case you crash it. Also they are much more suited to use at the track than the Brutale.

Go and get one :stickpoke :smoking:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Yeah, welcome to the addiction. :)

Ah, the classic question. Spend money on a track bike that isn't as good as the MV or track the MV and have one expensive crash.

I agree with MV-999R. R6 or CBR RR are great bikes. Even a prepped SV is a great track bike. I've tracked my MV F4 a lot in the past but like you, if I wad it, it probably would end up staying wadded. :)

Now with that said, there's nothing saying you can't get a 600 and still occasionally track the Brutale for the fun of it. But you'll find you'll want to start pushing a bit and finding your limits and the bikes is easier to recover from financially on a 600.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Use the MV!!

Also, track days are different from schools. At the schools, you mix class time with practice sessions. The drills are not full out and you get to know your bike.

Track days are as safe as you want them to be. Probably safer than riding fast on the street as the conditions are controlled and track runners keep an eye out for reckless riders.

Unless you want to start racing, you won't be likely to push the absolute limits looking for the win.

If you want to start club racing, get some cheep 600 and beat the crap out of it.

I plan on taking my 910R to Barber motorsports park in september.
Ride a great bike on a great track.....what could be better?? :king:

John T

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, that's what I was leaning towards. Now I have to convince my wife that I need another bike in the garage. The f'd up thing is that all I ever do now is daydream about those corners I took for two days and I see them in vivid detail. I am a complete novice and I was going real slow compared to others on the track. I know I have a long way to go.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
airfuel said:
...Track days are as safe as you want them to be...
To some extent I agree. Although I've seen crashes caused by other riders or circumstances where it wasn't the rider's fault.

But if you go to the track day and stay within your envelope, ride 7 or 8 tenths of your ability, you should be fine.

I don't think anyone goes to a track days and say, "hey, I'm gonna bin it today." Yet, plenty of accidents happen...

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
airfuel said:
Use the MV!!

Also, track days are different from schools. At the schools, you mix class time with practice sessions. The drills are not full out and you get to know your bike.

Track days are as safe as you want them to be. Probably safer than riding fast on the street as the conditions are controlled and track runners keep an eye out for reckless riders.

Unless you want to start racing, you won't be likely to push the absolute limits looking for the win.

If you want to start club racing, get some cheep 600 and beat the crap out of it.

I plan on taking my 910R to Barber motorsports park in september.
Ride a great bike on a great track.....what could be better?? :king:

John T
Lucky bastard!
I guess I am looking at it as cheap insurance. I know that I will be pushing my limits way before I even approach the limits of the bike. And that's what I worry about. Once I feel confident enough, I will take the Brutale out.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
airfuel said:
Sorta like any Sunday ride on the streets..........
I guess it's how you ride on the street. I certainly have never pushed it like I do at the track.

I've ridden for years on the street and never seen the carnage I see at track days. But then I don't ride much in groups on the street.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts