MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone suggest where I can get a set of new coil packs, reasonably priced and available to receive within 3weeks? Maybe recommend quality after market, if they exist? I'm a newbie with a 2010 and just learning that parts are not as prevalent as they are for my SV650. I'm in the States, northern Virginia. Thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
819 Posts
Well, you may find that "new" and "reasonably priced" when dealing with Agusta is a conflict. You can find one but not both. There are some used parts that can be found on here for a reasonable price. But if you want new you'll have to go to the dealer....and bring the lube.

You need a whole set, or just 1,2,3?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I know one of them is bad so I wanted to get info before deciding, but I'm considering just getting all four and save the good ones as spares. When I google them, I find several places that appear to be parts brokers. Send them an email and they send you info on where to buy!? I try to avoid sites like those and so I'm only guessing that's how it works. Hoping for an online place to buy and cut out as many "middle men" as possible.... Never interested in paying dealer markup! Cheap and thrifty are different mind sets with the same goal!

·
Administrator
19,486 Posts
You will not find any site to buy from that is cutting out any middle man. You will need to go to a dealer if you want new. They aren't that expensive, I bought one for a 910R not long ago. About the same price as a coil for a Japanese bike.

Find a dealer that sells at MV's MSRP without "escalators" added on for their profitability. A lot of dealers (especially those who sell perceived "luxury brands") will add an automatic 10% or more to the recommended list price, just because they can.
The fine folk at European Motorsports are one dealer that doesn't do that...

Ignition coils are not a common failure item. As a matter of fact, many ignition coils are replaced when that isn't the problem at all. I presume you have diagnosed this bad coil with the diagnostic software, or by a valid resistance and insulation test?

I wouldn't waste money buying extras as spares. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
819 Posts
^ so how much is a new coil?

And to the OP, any particular reason one wouldn't want to buy a good used coil? I hear talk of wanting cheap and at the same time buying a set to keep as spares which seems a bit opposite of reasoning.

Its somewhat ironic that one buys a premium/luxury brand bike, then frets over pricing while demanding quality and a time frame that is wholly unrealistic from said brand. If you want new you have to call a dealer. If you want fast then you have to call every dealer you can find until you get one that has personally put their hands on the item in stock on their shelf.....otherwise you'll be waiting weeks to months for Italy to get that sent out. Being that June a huge holiday month for Italy one 'might' be waiting until july before anyone gets back to the factory to fulfill orders. If you want cheap then you'll need to scan ebay in the hope to find a brand new one, or maybe one could get lucky on CL. Either one of them is no guarantee although they would be the best bets for time spent if going the cheap route.

Again, there would be nothing wrong with a good used coil which could probably be found quickly and what you may consider reasonable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ so how much is a new coil?

Its somewhat ironic that one buys a premium/luxury brand bike, then frets over pricing while demanding quality and a time frame that is wholly unrealistic from said brand.

Again, there would be nothing wrong with a good used coil which could probably be found quickly and what you may consider reasonable.
If I don't inquire, I will not get answers. I have only been an F4 owner for one month. I can buy a million parts for my Honda cx500, Daytona 675r, sv650 track bike, get them in three days and they are INEXPENSIVE in comparison. I was trying to learn something based on what I would like, not what I'm willing to accept. Even though your last post was rather condescending I still learned from it... thank you for your insight.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
As stated, I am new to MV ownership and so I thank you very much for being helpful! Also want to thank you for taking your time and effort to provide such a wealth of information all over this forum!!
That is unfortunately the only answer I have, there's a bloke in the UK called Mark, to be found on the internet under TimeMachineBikes, he might be able to supply them separately and second hand.

There's another forum member in Australia looking for some of the same parts and have not been able to source anything other than the MV part, I believe they are the same between pre 2010 models (2006-2009) onto 2010+, but you need to show us an example to make sure.

Contact the Hub Man, Mitchy has been trying to help Steve with his coil problem.

Sorry to drag this out in the "For Sale" section.

·
Administrator
19,486 Posts
MV parts supply has gotten very much better over the past few years. I have not waited more than a week or two for normal service parts. One SPR decal did get back ordered but then arrived just a few weeks later combined with another order for shipping costs....August is the month for Italian vacations.

First you must find a dealer who will order the part for you now rather than waiting to combine with other items for a larger order ( this is the cause for most long delays.....holding orders to get larger volume/better discounts or freight).....then you need to get them to sell it at listed retail price, not their inflated price (very common among many dealers).

Good luck.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I got all mine replaced in one hit. It was done at a "reasonable price" taking into consideration they were new and price seemed to be on par with similar types of coils for other bikes. Some compensation was provided given the relative young age of the existing packs (but still theoretically out of warranty). It was complicated by the fact the rubber tips on all of them became detached and rather run the risk of a chewing gum and string fix I went for total replacement. Sure - I could have got some seconds for half the price but in the end I decided to bite the bullet and get it done.

I have 3 spares now which I will be refurbishing once I talk to some electronic minded colleagues about a suitable adhesive for high temp, high voltage applications.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
517 Posts
Had one of my packs replaced under extended warranty last November. They showed a cost of US $201 and change each.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Had one of my packs replaced under extended warranty last November. They showed a cost of US $201 and change each.

Wonder if that's pretty much standard pricing across all dealers? TMB has a used one for 135 plus shipping from UK. Would think one could get a good used set for about that, but didn't see any other coils listed so i guess he's got the market cornered right now. I better go adjust my price on the coils i have so i don't leave a chunk of money on the table. 400 bucks for a set of used coils is mighty nice for the seller.:laughing:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts