MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own an Aprilia RSVR 1000 Factory. I love the bike and have no plans to sell it anytime soon. My main interest is in touring, however, I also like to do a bit of canyon carving with it.

The Aprilia has been basically bullet proof, with a few quarks that I can deal with (having to bleed the clutch regularly, and no rear brake). Well, bullet proof until about a month ago, when the stator coil fried and left me stranded about 100 miles from home. The part is still on order, and god knows when it will arrive from Italy.

My point is, I need (not want) another bike. I'm only interested in exotics, which brings me to your forum. I have long admired the styling of the F4 and I'm wondering if it would be fun to have an inline 4 in addition to my twin. The new Brutale 910 also looks interesting. Are the Agusta's overly problematic? I am also wondering if I would struggle with switching from the twin to the inline on a regular basis.

Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Squire,

I have had 2 MV's thus far (a 2002 750 F4 1+1 & my current 2004 SPR) and I absolutely love them. My brother owned Ducati 998 which I rode on occasion so I have a good point of reference for the Inline 4 vs. Twin debate. In a nutshell they each have their own unique appeal. The Ducati Twin had tons of tourque while the Inline 4 of the MV's simply screams and craves to be revved. In the end I like the MV, not only for the feel of the Inline 4 but for the overall package that it presents. These bikes are simply awesome. Beautiful, fast, solidly built with an extremely high level of fit and finish.

As for a sport tourer the MV comes a bit short. I do relatively well with my SPR but this is only after having added Ferracci Handle Bar Risers. Without these I would be seeing a chiropractor regularly for lower back adjustments. As far as luggage goes you will probably only be able to go with a tank bag. On my 1+1 I tried to use a rear saddle bag setup but it ended up scratching the hell out of the paint on the tail end, not to mention that it was difficult to find adequate mounting points on the rear due to the fact that the exhaust is so close. If a weekend jaunt is all you will be doing then the MV works perfectly. I have done several using only a Marsee tank bag.

I cannot speak for the Brutale but I suspect it would be somewhat better as a Sport Tourer simply because of the upright seating position. Again luggage may be an issue. From all that I have read regarding the 910, the majority of the reviewers preferred the 750 engine, stating that it was "more fun and lively". Go figure. Anyway, I hope this all helps. In the end if you do decide to go with and MV you will not be dissapponted, they are incredible machines.

dgalleo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dgalleo - Thanks for your input. I suppose for most people both the F4 and the Aprilla would come up short when it comes to sport touring. I somehow seem to be the exception, in that I can go 500 miles a day for a week with little discomfort. Could be my size, 5'7' and 150 lbs. Luggage? The clothes on my back, and the smallest backpack they make.

Unless I find out about some real problems with the F4 I may well make the plunge after the first of the year. I assume the 06 model will be out by then.

I am also looking at the new Moto Guzzi MGS-01 Corsa. To me it looks good and has great components. About $25,000. Not sure about the air cooled engine and shaft drive though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have also looked at the MSG01 Corsa. God what a beautiful bike. Given that it was developed by Ghezzi-Brian and is being produced by Moto Guzzi truly makes it an exotic. If I were you I would take the plunge with the Guzzi. Also keep in mind that Bimota is up and running again as well as Mondial, two really good Italian motorcycling marques of the past. Whichever way you go good luck and keep us posted on mvagusta.net, especially if you get the Guzzi. I would love to hear some feedback on that one as it may influence my own future purchase of that machine. Take care and happy riding.

dgalleo

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi squire, this might just be some straneg coincidence, but i believe i have the exact and only truly correct answer to your question. this is because i started riding on the street with exotic italian v-twins (ducati monsters, several of them), then eventually progressed to the 999, and finally an 04 brutale s, i bought it from a collector in denver colorado, where i flew in, picked it up at the airport, and began my ride home to las vegas, where i presently reside. talk about the most fun of my life, taking that mv agusta brutale through the mountain pass, through vail, and breckenridge, and then all of those sweet sweet rodes, and canyons in western utah, was a great experience for me, i did 1100 miles in the first two days of owning the bike, my luggage was simple, a backpack, a small one too. the seating position is great, and yet you can get very agressive into the turns, i love my ducatis tooo, but i cant use the whole tread of the tires on even my 999 the way i can on my brutale. also, my brutale feals faster than the 999, and much faster than my monsters, ive ridden the new 910, its dissapointing, feels like it bogs down alot, o-well, change isnt always better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
also..... there is a decent size trunk in the brutale, whicth neither my monster, or 999 have. it is a great bike, the only, and i stress only problem is-- gas mileage, you will average 30 mpg, and refill every 120 miles or so. my ducs are better in that aspect, but not by much. also, if you look in the classifieds, you should see my brutale, im selling all of my bikes, as i am an 18 yr old college student, and i am being kicked out of the house, sooo time to buy my own. seeing as i have over 50k$ in bikes, i figure ill sell all but one or two, so i have a good down payment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dgalleo and Randallnedescu - Thank you both for your replies and input. I have been doing some research since my last post on the Guzzi MGS-01 Corsa. I've read nothing but good things about it, however, it appears that it will only be released as a track bike as it cannot meet emissions standards. There will be a toned down version called the Serie at about 100 hp which is targeted for street use. It also appears that Piaggio would like to sell off Moto Guzzi, so their future is in some question. My dealership in Denver expects to have availability of both models sometime this year.

I have now heard two negitive reports on the new 910 Brutale ( excessive vibration and inconsistant powerband). Is MV still offering the 750, or is that just last years model?

I apologize for hijacking your forum with perhaps a little to much Guzzi talk.

By the way... Your trip through the Colorado mountains and into southern Utah is also my favorite sport biking road trip.

·
Registered
37 Posts
hey your welcome buddy, and yes the moto-guzzi msg-01 is a sweet lookin bike, im a big fan of the minimal bodywork, and exposed engine!! however like you, i dont like the way the swingarm, and shaft drive appears. might be worth looking into the ghezzi-brian supertwins while your at it, theyve got the ultra trick front end with the dual front wheel mounted disc brakes. if you talk to your dealer, they may be able to special order in a new 2005 brutale 750, but i doubt it, they arent making them for 06, mv just wants to kill the 750 line, and anyone who wanted one ran out and bought one fast. also, i believe it was either TWO , or PB that had last tested the new 910, and was dissapointed as well. their british magazines, so youll have to run to a barnes and nobles to find em. good luck on your search, and keep in touch if you wanna take a road trip anytime soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts