MV Agusta Forum banner

I may have done a stupid.

6K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  MV Arthur 
#1 ·
Chaps - I’d appreciate some help with a problem.

Some months ago - I pulled bodywork, clip-ons, front wheel, brakes in order to complete a fork seal service and caliper rebuild. Put the bike back together and have done some riding.

I have now found two domed metric Allen bolts on my workbench which I suspect came off the MV. They are both M5x15 with washers - look responsible for bodywork or fittings perhaps.

I’ve pulled bodywork and not found anything wrong. Any thoughts?
Thanks in anticipation. Chris
Wood Pattern Metal Close-up Circle

See less See more
#2 ·
Check your triple clamps.

#6 ·
5x15 allen head with plastic washer = trim piece fasteners. Determine the standard MV part number for that screw and then search the parts catalogs for where used.

Reactions: MacStrine
#17 ·
Those washers look like metal to me...therefore, not bodywork.
@Chrispy - What is the specific year and model of your F4? (Help us help you!)

#18 ·
Hey Everyone.....

Thanks for all the suggestions! Per Chuck's request - this is a 2005 F4-1000.

I can confirm that mirror mounts, mudguards, ECU are correctly and completely attached. The bolts are def M5 not M6 and the washers are metal and also captive, by the way.

I just downloaded the parts manual and actually cannot find any reference to M5x15 bolts/screws. There are two M5x16 needed for the rear fairing lock but these are not they.

So I can't account for them or where they came from (the 10mm socket fairy maybe?) but pleased to say they don't appear to be from the F4.

Thanks for all your help - really appreciate it.

Chris

#22 ·
or you used non MV screws where these should have been used. Given the curved head design my bet these are MV screws. Look for similar size but look more like general socket head.

#24 ·
Since the OP ( @Chrispy ) only removed bodywork to access the front forks, there are myriad M5X14 and M5X16 bolts throughout the bike, but no M5X15.
The most likely culprit, given the work, are the two screws that hold the Key Guard in place.

Head Hairstyle White Vertebrate Organ

Rectangle Parallel Font Circle Pattern

Rectangle Font Circle Pattern Slope

#28 ·
I have kept a very close eye on this thread and I have waited for post number 28 to tell you I don’t think these are from an F4.
The shape of the head is not like any other bolt I have seen on a first generation F4.
That’s not to say that these bolts were a replacement for a couple of lost bolts or for the fitment of a non-OEM component.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.