MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I do have a Brute, you guys are people I would have shared this with if it WAS my Brute, so why not share anyway. Sorry if it's in the wrong place, but again, this (brutale forum) is where I would normally post so........
My GF (and future wife) and I took a couple of weeks and rode from Miami to WV. We went thru Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia and Maryland (sounds like a Johnny Cash song huh?). Overall we rode a little over 2,000 miles, ONE way!!! And YES, I know I am very lucky to someone that A.) Rides a motorcycle and B.) is actually willing to and enjoys riding long distances.
The way back was via the Amtrak AutoTrain from Lorton, Virginia to Sanford, FL (for the geographically challenged, that's D.C. to Orlando). We rode back home from there......about 250 miles or so I guess.
The pictures of the lake-house are in Robbinsville, NC where the Cherohala Skyway and the Tail of the Dragon both are. Oh and you'll notice that my bike was white (literally) at the end of the trip. We painted it when we were in WV where my GF's friend owns a shop. He helped us do that and some other things on both bikes. Not every day you get a $30 paint job (price of the paint). I was also able to get my seat reupholstered to white also (with red stitching). Much better!!
About the AutoTrain......it was a great experience. Some of the passengers were idiots, but the people that worked on the train couldn't have been nicer. We figure next time we'll take the round trip so I can take the Brutale. I know now that they take very good care of the bikes. You are the one that drives it up onto the "dock" and into a wheel chock, then they (double) strap it down for you. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.
Anyway, that's it for now.....can't wait for the next trip!!!

Last years trip we saw so many post offices that we figured we'd try and take a picture whenever we saw one...

Waiting for the train to pass:

Ha, yeah right the road is closed (this actually posed a huge problem because getting around this wasn't very easy (see next pic)

My bike was the guinea pig....The result:

The view from the cabin we rented a few miles out from the Tail of the dragon (deals gap):

Me and my GF on the dragon:

View from overlook:

On the way back to the cabin:

The cabin:

Cherohala Skyway:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Note the plastic bags under my feet. It was hot, I wanted the boots off, I didn't want my feet in the boots AFTER being on the ground just outside the convenience store.

I helped sand the panels but other than that, loosening and tightening a few bolts is about all I was good for. Well, I tried to make up for it by sweeping the floors at least.

DONE!!!

This will give you an idea of the loading process. Again, the guys knew what they were doing and they are the ones that do this every day. One guy has been doing it for 4 years he said (he also rides).

Here you can see the wheel chocks. They only load 2 bikes per each one of these carts. The chock in the center is for a trike.

The room/sleeper on the train

This Mi-Fi thing rocks. We had internet the entire way thru ad were able to watch TV shows along the way. Nice!!!!

Back home, time for a wash and some pictures of the finished product:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Awesome pics! And looks like you and the gf had an equally awesome time as well. You're really lucky your future misses enjoys riding with you everywhere! (though some may not see that as a perk :). Jk

Is that an iPad I see on the train bed? :)

Thanks for sharing!

Mike

·
Registered
325 Posts
Awesome pics mate , looks like some nice country over there:mouthwate, I like the post office theme !!
Would love to ride in the US one day!!
Still trying to cover all of Australia i'm about a 1/3 of the way there.:)

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Really nice ! Sounds like You are a very lucky chosen one. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're really lucky your future misses enjoys riding with you everywhere! (though some may not see that as a perk :). Jk

Is that an iPad I see on the train bed? :)

Thanks for sharing!

Mike
Thanks. I'm definitely lucky. She's an incredible woman.
Yeah that's an iPad. Awesome tool to have for a trip like that. The only thing I would get for next time would be the camera connection kit, to download the pictures into it along the way. I have plenty of space on my card but always like to have a backup in case something fails. It worked great though......for emails, to book hotel rooms on the fly, look at the map, etc.
D

Awesome pics mate , looks like some nice country over there:mouthwate, I like the post office theme !!
Would love to ride in the US one day!!
Still trying to cover all of Australia i'm about a 1/3 of the way there.:)
There were more post offices that I didn't include here. You never realize how many are around until you actually look out for them.

I'm sure the countryside in Australia is just as nice or nicer. Didn't I read something to the effect that Australia is the least inhabited continent in the world?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh and by far the best tool other than the iPad and the camera was the tankbag. I retrofitted it with the padding from one of my camera bags and was able to access it without getting off the bike. This obviously makes it to where you'll take more pictures because it's not such a pain in the ass to reach it.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Great ride, great pics. I too like the post office theme.

Curiously, none of the pics of your gf show her face.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Looks like that was a great ride - nice pics! :smoking:

My wife has the same bike, we've been skeptical of it's capacity for long rides but you've obviously set that straight. I'd be interested to understand how you packed the Monster. It doesn't look like there were many pairs of shoes involved :stickpoke

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Outstanding Gus !!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Curiously, none of the pics of your gf show her face.
LOL, They're around here on the forum. I posted them once before when another dog, I mean, another member made a similar observation (LOL, jk). Search my friend, search.

Looks like that was a great ride - nice pics! :smoking:

My wife has the same bike, we've been skeptical of it's capacity for long rides but you've obviously set that straight. I'd be interested to understand how you packed the Monster. It doesn't look like there were many pairs of shoes involved :stickpoke
This is actually the second time we do the trip on these bikes. Last year we did the trip there and back. That was a little over 3,000 miles. For me her bike would be too small, but for her it's fine. The bike is very dependable. Needs little maintenance and has given us zero problems. I always take some basic tools, a tire repair kit and a small compressor that plugs into my bikes power outlet. Luckily I haven''t needed the tire repair kit on either trip, but the tools have come in handy for minor things.
As for the luggage, we learned our lesson last year when we took more than what we needed. We realized that since we wear our riding gear all day,every day, that all we really need is clothes to wear when we go eat at night. Also, since we stay at hotels that have washers and dryers (Marriot, springhill suites, fairfield inn, etc.) we can wash whatever little we have and could therefor pack pretty light. What I packed was pretty much just a pair of jeans, a pair of khaki shorts, shorts that double as swim trunks or gym shorts, a few white t-shirts, and a casual button-down shirt that I can wear with a pair of puma sneakers (they pack lightest). Usually end up washing stuff every other day but it's just a few things so it's not exactly a chore. I'd rather spend a few bucks to wash often than to have to carry more crap.
The luggage on her bike is a Kriega US-20 pack. They are completely waterproof. I use the same bag with a couple of the US-10 bags that attache to it's sides (see pics). I think the key to packing with these is to get THESE to pack with. This way you take these out and take stuff in and out as needed without having to just dump everything out of the bag. You'd be amazed how much you can pack when you roll everything into these bags.
But yes, last year there were many more shoes involved :banghead:. Also this time since we were going to be in WV for 3-4 days and not riding the bikes as much we shipped ourselves a small box with other clothes we might need there. This package included several womens shoes, for my girlfriend of course. :stickpoke

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks Gus - I'll check them out.

We've been using an Axio tailbag on there for now with a really small cortech tank bag. Together they don't carry much more than a bottle of water and a sweatshirt. It comes down to either gimping-out the Tiger, or her being limited to what she can carry on her own bike.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks.

There were more post offices that I didn't include here. You never realize how many are around until you actually look out for them.

I'm sure the countryside in Australia is just as nice or nicer. Didn't I read something to the effect that Australia is the least inhabited continent in the world?
Yeh most of australias population is on the east coast, but there is still alot of nothing out west where i live.
It's 1000 miles to my favourite set of twisties(the "gillies" hwy) with only 3 towns in between!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Gus - I'll check them out.

We've been using an Axio tailbag on there for now with a really small cortech tank bag. Together they don't carry much more than a bottle of water and a sweatshirt. It comes down to either gimping-out the Tiger, or her being limited to what she can carry on her own bike.
The tiger looks good. I thought about getting one of those. How do you like it so far?

You'll definitely get more out of the Kriega bag. The backpacks you see us wearing are the The Kriega R15. It's comfortable enough to wear all day, no problem.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeh most of australias population is on the east coast, but there is still alot of nothing out west where i live.
It's 1000 miles to my favourite set of twisties(the "gillies" hwy) with only 3 towns in between!!!
Very cool. See that's roughing it on a whole new level. Would hate to break down somewhere between said towns though!!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Very cool. See that's roughing it on a whole new level. Would hate to break down somewhere between said towns though!!!
Yeh Lucky i live in the bush so my survival skills are up to date... aka lizard stew & kangaroo cassarole!:naughty:
Heres one of the said towns, the servo is the only residence it doubles as the post office & pub!!:wtf: & next fuel stop 196klm nothing but sweet road in between.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The tiger looks good. I thought about getting one of those. How do you like it so far?
Oh I like the Tiger a lot. Mine's an '07 and I've had it for a couple years now. I was considering trading it out for a Multi 1200, but I like the thing so much I just couldn't do it. I wound up buying the Brutale and getting rid of my DR650 instead. Triumph is supposed to be updating the Tiger for 2011, so I'm waiting to see what they come out with before doing anything. I've spent some time setting it up the way I want, so it's also not high on my list to throw that effort/money away either. In terms of cost for what you get, the Tiger is a fantastic deal IMHO.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts