Registered
17,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Suzuki Carry......

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
My 85 year old father has a 15 year old John Deere Gator that I gave him 10 years ago. His Gator was old and tired 10 years ago. Today, it's really old and tired.

He's not very mobile, and he uses it to go back and forth up his steep driveway to his mailbox, and around back to his lower yard. He loves his Gator. He mentioned that he wanted a newer model, and I offered him one of my newer Gators as a replacement. He jumped at my offer.

So, now I'm looking at replacement Gators, and geeeze.....are they pricey. New Gators easily run way beyond $10K. I'm surfing EBay looking for used Gators and stumble across a Japanese Kei class mini pickup made by Daihatsu. The light goes off......Ah ha! For less than the cost of a decent used Gator, I can purchase a decent used Japanese mini truck, complete with a real cab, roll down windows, a heater, radio, 660 cc with maybe 30 hp, 30-40 mph, etc. in addition to Daihatsu, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, and Suzuki offer similar vehicles. The "Kei" class vehicles are built to take advantage of onerous licensing, taxation, and insurance rules in Japan. They are very popular all around the globe......except in the US, where they've never been legal because of safety and emission rules.

Apparently there's a thriving gray market for these little trucks to serve exactly as I intend to use this one. Farmers, ranchers, golf course management, imdustrial sites, etc. use them as replacements for ever more pricey Gators. They are imported as non-street legal UTVs. Right hand drive, Japanese instructions, etc.....but they're built to a far superior standard than the utilitarian Gator. Furthermore, Japanese used vehicle inspection rules, license requirements, and repair rules dictate that good serviceable vehicles are routinely replaced with new vehicles because repair and reconditioning requirements are very expensive. Think about having to replace your two year old Chevy truck with 30,000 miles because it needed $10k in dubious repair and reconditioning expenses.

I got a line on a local that had bought six of them for his 1000 acre farm 10 miles from me. I visited him, drove his personal "demo" which he only used to run from his home to the farm out buildings and back. I fell in love with his little Suzuki.......clean, no rust, low mileage, automatic transmission (very rare), and.......wait for it.........AIR CONDITIONING. :smoking:

I ran the idea by Jackie and she loved the concept. I made him an offer.....and he passed. He could never sell his personal vehicle. Rats......"Well, if you change your mind, give me a call". I went back to surfing the Internet planning a future purchase. Now, I'm really bummed out, because everything I was looking at didn't measure up to the perfect vehicle 10 miles down the road......Oh, well.

....and then he called me back. "I've decided to accept your offer". Yee ha. :mouthwate

I might need a Japanese interpreter......:)

·
Administrator
18,863 Posts
You didn't mention the fold down bed sides! Instant flat bed!!

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
thats cool randy. will u be pimping it out. new rims, stereo etc... kidding

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats cool randy. will u be pimping it out. new rims, stereo etc... kidding
There's a whole universe of toys for these little trucks including lift kits, rims, big tires, etc. right now, I'm needing new tires as these are the originals and they're shot. The oil is new, but the air filter is dirty. It seems I can get most all th parts on th Internet.

I actually has a functional radio.....that is turned to Japanese frequencies. :ahhh:

It's getting a monster clean, buff and wax righ now.

·
Registered
837 Posts
They're road legal over here :) and good for more than 40 ;)

A friend of mine, quite a large chap (6'1" & 300lbs) managed to endo a Honda Acty braking hard downhill !!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I know a couple of mini truck enthusiasts, usually the 4th gear is locked out but easily defeated for 60+mph

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd totally hit it!
:). It's been raining cats and dogs for days now, and Jackie is really enjoying the enclosed cab traversing back and forth from the house to the barns. It's a hit so far.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Cool truck, there's a 3 wheel version of one for sale near me ( it could be smaller than your truck, but definitely not a gator) It even has a dump bed. I been driving past it for work every now and then , trying not to stop and make an offer...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts