MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Don't you find it frustrating and confusing when you hear in the news and read in the press that studies show that 'certain things' are really good for you..., then the complete opposite gets reported and these 'good' things should be avoided at all costs??.

I posted a thread on a glowing report from MCN regarding the Brutale B800
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50164 and they declaired it to be ''MV's Best Brutale yet''
Here is something of what they said then.....

Attachments

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
:laughing: Oh Brian, it will do your head in. :laughing:

I will only read classic bike magazines when an MV is featured, allows me to keep my head straight for other important things. :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Brian, I urge you NOT to watch the video that accompany that article, It will make your blood boil. I was angry as hell and left comments that I hope others will read as I have ridden 3 of the 4 bikes in the test.
Some of the comments in the video:
The bike is way way behind the other 3
Terrible to ride
Terrible handling
Awful to wheelie

When it come to biking journalism MCN are WAY WAY behind any other publication or online review site.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It's MCN advertising revenue equals higher ratings in tests. Throw in a smattering of jingoism and the Triumphs always Triumphs.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I am of the opinion that MCN is simply very biased in what ever test they undertake, and getting worse as the years go by.
They are driven by advertising budgets spent by the manufacturers in their paper and magazine empire, washed down with freebies and glitzy bike launches.
The truth is the B800 is a vastly better bike than the others in this test. My B800 runs very well, it was a bit too stiff suspension wise out the box but any rider armed with a bit of knowledge and a screwdriver can sort that. Mine now handles superbly for the road and gets ridden pretty damn hard.
As for being hard to wheelie.........................no its not, it is predictable, controllable and a hoot.
Oil leaks? Nope not a drop. A number of my friends have ridden my bike and every one of them loves the bike, they remark that the stories they have read are just so wrong, so it's not just me calling bull shit.
MCN are wrong, not for the first time, and this is the reason I stopped buying it. A free read in the newsagent is as far as it goes.
jimboF4

·
Registered
247 Posts
What makes there comments even worse is the fact that i actually rode the bike in their article so know exactly hows it ride. The bike is owned by MV is loaned out to dealers and the press, so you can imagine it's not in the best condition. It had 1600 miles on the clock and rode beautifully. Since then I know the battery has been replaced(it was a bit iffy) and the mapping has been updated to the latest one.

Truimph, Kawasaki and Yamaha are biking powerhouse's with huge spending budgets on media etc and dare MCN slate one of those like they did MVAgusta. I do wonder why MV bother loaning them a bike.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Like i've said before, I wouldn't wrap my chips in MCN, poorest excuse for a motorcycle publication I've ever laid eyes on and that Michael Neeves only knows two words, Triumph and Refined!

I've not read the article but I'll bet my mortgage
1. Triumph
2. Kawasaki
3. Yamaha
4. MV

Why the Kawasaki over the Yamaha? Because Kawasaki are usually more forthcoming with long term loners, as are Suzuki, in fact I'm surprised they didn't include one in the test, they may not make an 800 naked but then neither do Triumph.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like i've said before, I wouldn't wrap my chips in MCN, poorest excuse for a motorcycle publication I've ever laid eyes on and that Michael Neeves only knows two words, Triumph and Refined!

I've not read the article but I'll bet my mortgage
1. Triumph
2. Kawasaki
3. Yamaha
4. MV

Why the Kawasaki over the Yamaha? Because Kawasaki are usually more forthcoming with long term loners, as are Suzuki, in fact I'm surprised they didn't include one in the test, they may not make an 800 naked but then neither do Triumph.
:laughing:..,How right you are Ackers...,your mortgage is safe!

I wouldn't mind.., but they really liked it in an earlier issue as illustrated.
So why is it so 'awful' now.., 'if' (in their opinion) it was really good before then surely it should be still really good?
The bike is the same so the only thing that appears to have 'changed' is their opinion of it?...,and that's what I just don't get. The inconsistency.
Brian.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
probably thought after the glowing report MV would buy a bunch of ad space, and when it didn't happen they took it all back! :)
So I pick up the same publication (MCN) yesterday and here's their
'opinion' of the bike now....what has changed?....if they liked it before??
I just don't get it.
Brian

·
King of Bling
9,825 Posts
Brian

It appears the first article was written by a jouro called Andy Downes and this second road test by Neeves.

Maybe they just have a difference of a opinion on the MV's overall package..

Neeves never liked the fuelling of the F3 when it was launched.. This might still be in the back of his mind and effecting his judgement of these next generation Brutales..

Just Food for Thought.

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Brian

It appears the first article was written by a jouro called Andy Downes and this second road test by Neeves.
Just Food for Thought.
Which one is full of shizzle then?

I don't have an opinion on this bike as I've never ridden a Brutale 800.
The discrepancies in these two articles in the same publication speak more to me about the editorial values of MCN and that gives me reason to question their ability to reliably, independently and consistently assess the measurable performance variables of this motorcycle.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which one is full of shizzle then?

I don't have an opinion on this bike as I've never ridden a Brutale 800.
The discrepancies in these two articles in the same publication speak more to me about the editorial values of MCN and that gives me reason to question their ability to reliably, independently and consistently assess the measurable performance variables of this motorcycle.
Totally 100% agree Dave.., and this is what prompted this thread.
Brian:smoking:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
You could always get a group of mates together, grab some demo bikes and do a self review of the same bikes. Give your honest opinions of each bike in a comparison thread. See if a personal bias for MV will put it on top or if it truly isn't head of the pack. Advertisement money has deadened their souls, that's why the Brutale can't stir it.

Read the comparison between the Street Triple, 800 Brutale, and FZ-09 in CycleWorld and the review seemed to go the other way. Triumph was a good bike, but the 675 engine didn't live up to the other two. The Brutale was far to good a performer (regardless of some throttle issues) for either of them to match.

From the posted MCN review the Street Triple should have fallen flat for the shear lack of engine comparison. As CycleWorld stated, there are 800 versions of the Triumph motor out there, they should put one in this model, then it might win.

·
Registered
461 Posts
What makes there comments even worse is the fact that i actually rode the bike in their article so know exactly hows it ride. The bike is owned by MV is loaned out to dealers and the press, so you can imagine it's not in the best condition. It had 1600 miles on the clock and rode beautifully. Since then I know the battery has been replaced(it was a bit iffy) and the mapping has been updated to the latest one.

Truimph, Kawasaki and Yamaha are biking powerhouse's with huge spending budgets on media etc and dare MCN slate one of those like they did MVAgusta. I do wonder why MV bother loaning them a bike.
Hi I have been away for awhile, been busy with all sorts of work/family matters, but I saw this article today and just knew it would be raised here and could not resist reading the comments.

I too am confused, for similar reasons to Brian, but I have not ridden any of the bikes in question so cannot comment on whether the MV should be rated better.

I do tend to agree that MCN seem to change their tune, just look at the reviews of the 910S, then the 910R and then the 1078RR. Each time a new version of that bike came out if was so much better and not that many bad words to say about it. That was until the next incarnation arrived then all of a sudden it was flawed in places it was not before?

Anyway, what I am more confused and concerned about is by DeadHead's comment about MV loaning out the bike? I was told MV only very recently replaced MotoGB as the UK importer and the new importer does not hold any physical bikes in the UK, so where did the bike come from?

I love MV but why on earth, if what is said above is correct, was a bike that had a duff battery, an oil leak and an out of date map loaned to MCN for a group test of all things.

If I were back in Varese I would be wanting some answers from who ever was responsible for letting this bike go out to the press. In summary I agree MCN do contradict themselves, but MV UK, whoever they are, have not help themselves from the sounds of it.

Brian, I will get around to looking at the air box tubes one day soon, sorry my friend!

Dave

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's right Dave now you mention it.., I distinctly remember a MCN article (I think I have the old issue somewhere....must dig it out) on the Brutale 1078rr which I have.
Anyway they gave it a glowing report too saying the 'snatchy' throttle was gone..., plusher ride.., much better than the 'old' 910 etc etc.,etc.

I bought my bike and was 'convinced' MCN loved it...,then when they reviewed the Brutale 1090 they said it was a vast improvement over the 'old' 1078 that had 'now' got all the flaws of the others (it didn't before). My previously 'great bike' was now suddenly as 'bad as all the rest'??

Right.., I must look up those old issues now.,I throw nothing out!:laughing:

Cheers Dave for remembering about that airbox tube (I've forgot which one it is now!).
Brian:).

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Hi I have been away for awhile, been busy with all sorts of work/family matters, but I saw this article today and just knew it would be raised here and could not resist reading the comments.

I too am confused, for similar reasons to Brian, but I have not ridden any of the bikes in question so cannot comment on whether the MV should be rated better.

I do tend to agree that MCN seem to change their tune, just look at the reviews of the 910S, then the 910R and then the 1078RR. Each time a new version of that bike came out if was so much better and not that many bad words to say about it. That was until the next incarnation arrived then all of a sudden it was flawed in places it was not before?

Anyway, what I am more confused and concerned about is by DeadHead's comment about MV loaning out the bike? I was told MV only very recently replaced MotoGB as the UK importer and the new importer does not hold any physical bikes in the UK, so where did the bike come from?

I love MV but why on earth, if what is said above is correct, was a bike that had a duff battery, an oil leak and an out of date map loaned to MCN for a group test of all things.

If I were back in Varese I would be wanting some answers from who ever was responsible for letting this bike go out to the press. In summary I agree MCN do contradict themselves, but MV UK, whoever they are, have not help themselves from the sounds of it.

Brian, I will get around to looking at the air box tubes one day soon, sorry my friend!

Dave
I too have seen the bike, it has a German number plate on it, it's probably been passed from mag to mag all over Europe and not seen a dealer for a service since it left the factory, I'd say that's why the battery was fooked as I doubt any of them hooked it up to the supplied charger at any point (I suspect the first mag to have it nicked it?). I don't think there will be an official UK importer anymore, the official dealers will order direct from MV in Italy.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Brian m8 do you live in an ivory tower and are totally out of touch lol.. I do think that it all down to money
if MCN ever did a test report on the best V twin the speed triple and street triple would win
the reporter Neeve I don't think has ever given a good test ride report on other bike other than the normal 5 trumpy suzi yam Honda kwaka normally in that order

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
:laughing:..,How right you are Ackers...,your mortgage is safe!

I wouldn't mind.., but they really liked it in an earlier issue as illustrated.
So why is it so 'awful' now.., 'if' (in their opinion) it was really good before then surely it should be still really good?
The bike is the same so the only thing that appears to have 'changed' is their opinion of it?...,and that's what I just don't get. The inconsistency.
Brian.
The funny thing is, the reasons he gives in his summary for the trumpet and Kawasaki being so good is the exact reasons I didn't want one of them when I was looking for a new bike :laughing:

Maybe Mr Neeve should stick to riding GS's or VFR's if comfort, predictability and refinement is all he looks for in a bike?

I do agree though, whoever is in charge at MV of loaning out that bike really should be making sure it's in tip top condition each time?

·
Registered
247 Posts
When I grabbed it, it had come straight from the hands of Fast Bike magazine, now anyone who knows that mag can only imagine the state of the bike.
The poor dealer did what they could to patch it up, and they had been charging the battery almost as soon as it arrived. Unfortunately the battery died and it refused to start after refuelling.
Didn't notice any leaks, and the bike was parked for almost an hour while i was waiting to be rescued by the dealer.
There was nothing wrong with the bike, and i was particularly looking for issue's like the disconnected throttle response and a number of other issues that have been mentioned. I didn't get to ride it long enough to get a feel for the seat, though the hour I was on it I had no complaints. The suspension was fine but I am quite heavy and the roads around the dealership were pretty good.
I'd be happy to buy one tomorrow, it was a great bike.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts