MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know anything about this exhaust system? What brand it is? Any information regarding its performance and the re-tune required to run it...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,615 Posts
Looks like the Silmoto (Silmotor) exhaust with metal cans instead of carbon.

Usually just the slip-on and doesn;t require retune. If it is a full decat exhaust, then tuning would be a good idea.

Reactions: Bob Roberts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Definitely Sil pipes, these end cans are probably the more expensive Titanium variety(which is only the 4 end cans, not the actual pipes which are stainless steel), as far as I know they came in CF or Titanium. Back when these first came out they were usually fitted with a Power Commander which is a fuel air adjusting piggy back on the ECU.

The Titanium can sleeves can be colour anodised if you wish, I have seen them in various colours. The tips can also be chromed if that is your thing. In my opinion they are not to loud, not like a Bodis system. Sil sound on full thrott:

My F4 750 is fitted with these and a PCIII. Chris at Xbikes dyno'd my bike with this set up to help tune it, but what can be done is limited. My bike is still a little snatchy in first, a Micro-tec ECU is the best solution.

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
The silmoto (and the fbf rebranded) pipes i've ridden behind sounded amazing.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I had to look that up Arthur, fbf = Fast by Ferracci, who put their logo on Silmoto pipes(an Italian company) and resell them, which I presume helps Silmoto as Fast by Ferracci have the selling capacity in the states?
Fast by Ferracci Racing Products

I have heard from the folks following old Bert that the sound doesn't really change in pitch, it just gets louder as the engine screams to 13000 rpm.

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
Yes, I only mentioned that since he's in the USA. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Definitely Sil pipes, these end cans are probably the more expensive Titanium variety(which is only the 4 end cans, not the actual pipes which are stainless steel), as far as I know they came in CF or Titanium. Back when these first came out they were usually fitted with a Power Commander which is a fuel air adjusting piggy back on the ECU.

The Titanium can sleeves can be colour anodised if you wish, I have seen them in various colours. The tips can also be chromed if that is your thing. In my opinion they are not to loud, not like a Bodis system. Sil sound on full thrott:

My F4 750 is fitted with these and a PCIII. Chris at Xbikes dyno'd my bike with this set up to help tune it, but what can be done is limited. My bike is still a little snatchy in first, a Micro-tec ECU is the best solution.
The end tips are machined aluminum as far as I can tell - I've got a carbon fiber set in pieces at the moment. Preposterously loud as I've mentioned before...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Preposterously loud as I've mentioned before...
Not sure if your pipes have been altered in some way, or we just differ on our view of loud, when I ask my friends they don't think my Sil pipes our really loud, nor does the chap who does my mot(British annual compulsory vehicle safety check), thankfully it is currently at the testers discretion as to allow naughty pipes, he say mine are ok but their is a chap with a Harley who he won't pass.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Silmoto Ti. Louder than RG3s. Sound pretty good in the flesh. I think they are a bit too loud and so does my mate. He has them on his 1000. I say they are equivalent to a decatted racing exhaust on a jap track bike.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'll post some pics of them in pieces later today - the baffles are straight-through with no restrictor - so there's a good chance you won't event pass technical on the track. Google says 105db, enough to give you tinnitus at 4-5k rpm

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m gonna check the bike out this next Saturday. I’ll record a video of it and comment on what I hear

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw a new pic of this bike (it’s 5-1/2hrs away) and the engine has a corroded/fuzzy appearance. The clutch cover and left-side crank cover that are clearly visible, are discolored & damaged, somehow. Is this normal for a 2002 750? I think not.....

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
Florida or other high salinity environment perhaps. Or just stored in a damp shed. Without pics we're just guessing, so post some.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The other, more revealing pics, were taken down shortly after I saw them.

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
Any pics with the fairings off? Rest of the bike looks good other than the missing airbox panels but for close to $7k I'd go for a 1000R or 312R over a 750 engine. Plus you get much better front end.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Florida or other high salinity environment perhaps. Or just stored in a damp shed. Without pics we're just guessing, so post some.
I can't tell very well from those pics, but I have seen quite a few of the old bikes with that tatty look to the casings, I put it down to general age unless they have been lucky enough to be stored in ideal circumstances. The other bikes I am talking about have generally looked ok, it's just the casings that get tatty, were all getting old.

This is what some of my lower casings look like, on a bike that is pampered. Including a heater on a thermostat and a dehumidifier in her recent years. Look at the casings to the left and the large bore metal pipe feeding into the water pump right of the polished F4 cover.

I have tried to clean them, it's not happening, I think they would have to be polished up properly to do something with that finish, and there are parts of my bike like the connectors on the brake lines that were dark brown with rust that I have managed to hand mirror polish back.

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
The raw aluminium cast casings of an MV are extremely prone to surface corrosion - it is just a cosmetic problem really- and soda blasting will make them look like new
This (and subsequent painting if you like) I would leave for that complete restoration job that plan for some time in the future when the whole bike has to be taken apart ..

1 - 20 of 52 Posts