81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Welcome back!!!! Tbh the place hasn't felt the same

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
@silentservice703 I just read this thread for the first time today. Glad to see it came full circle for you Chuck. You are, in no uncertain terms, the most valuable member of this forum. Your dedication is obvious and appreciated by probably 99% of the members here. Are you harsh sometimes? Sure but that's what makes you the lovable fuzz ball that you are. Okay...maybe a lovable cue ball. :wink2: I learned in my "discussions" with DaveNZ to just stop feeding the troll. Don't like what I'm saying? I'm not going to lose sleep over it and walked away from that thread because it was tiring and boring. Some people like going around in circles...I'm not one of them. I know it's easy to get into the drama...what's hard is recognizing you're in the drama and politely stepping away. It's a constant work in progress for me. Anyway, I'm glad your back. Mrs. Fingertight is coming back from DC tonight and we'll raise a glass of Scotch to you and your return.

·
Premium Member
5,621 Posts
@silentservice703 for my subjective feeling you go way to deep and with that your service is not that silent. But fair is fair; your reaction is very mature.

·
Super Moderator
23,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
@Maximum Velocity: Erik, your opinion matters to me....I'll probably Run Silent, Run Deep...except for where I can help technically for awhile.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
What is tongue in cheek to me may be interpreted differently by others.
I think you've hit the nail square here, Chuck. It's very difficult to convey sentiment in text on the internet.

I don't stick my head in here too often anymore, but I'm glad to see you're hanging around:wink2:

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Well I am glad you didn't bow down to some dickhead and gave the best response only you could do. Great that you didn't go as you are irreplaceable, bet Cindy bent your ear and talked sense to you though:x:x

·
Registered
645 Posts
Silent one of Service,

May I ask: are you a veteran of the USN submarine service? If so, you have my admiration. One of my best friends was a Senior Chief in a submarine for over 25 years. Another young man I know graduated from MIT with a USN scholarship, was commissioned and served on a boomer for 5 years. Both had some great stories. The Senior Chief, and I always called him that, never would reveal his mission, nor even name of his boat. He gave e me some great life advice over the years. I suspect his silence was due to some very classified assignments. We also called him "the red sub", but that nickname will remain unexplained under the sonic transparent layer forever....

cheers!

Reactions: esq'z me

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Rise n shine brothers, it's a beautiful day in the Northeast!

Reactions: silentservice703

·
Super Moderator
23,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
@lucydad: Hi Greg (if I may call you that.),

Yes, I am a veteran of the Silent Service. I spent 8 years in Uncle Sam’s Canoe Club. The first two years in training from boot camp to graduating Nuclear Power School and then specializing in water chemistry control and radiological control. The next two years were spent teaching a range of subjects from how to diagnose and rebuild any mechanical part in an operating Nuclear Power Plant to Thermodynamics and Fluid Flow along with how Radiation and the atomic world work with a healthy smattering of Nuclear Water Chemistry Control.

After that four years of Submarine Seervice ensued on two 688 class Fast Attack submarines: the USS Boston (SSN703) and the USS Philadelphia (SSN690).

After my Navy Education, I moved to the Northeast to a career in commercial Nuclear Power. I started as a Radiation Protection Technican, moved in to Operations as an equipment operator, got my license as a Control Room Operator and then moved up to Senior Reactor Operator where I was in charge of a crew responsible for the daily and emergency operation of Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station.

I am now retired with a bit of a walking disability.

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Hello Chuck.
I gather you and Cindy aware of the docudrama Chernobyl currently being released by HBO.
You should find it if you haven't already, it's bloody impressive.
Ciao,
Dave.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello Chuck.
I gather you and Cindy aware of the docudrama Chernobyl currently being released by HBO.
You should find it if you haven't already, it's bloody impressive.
Ciao,
Dave.
It is a great watch.

Have you watched Guy Martins documentary on the power plant?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
After my Navy Education, I moved to the Northeast to a career in commercial Nuclear Power. I started as a Radiation Protection Technican, moved in to Operations as an equipment operator, got my license as a Control Room Operator and then moved up to Senior Reactor Operator where I was in charge of a crew responsible for the daily and emergency operation of Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station.

Are you Homer Simpson? >:)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Silent one,

Thanks for sharing your background. Nuclear field has always interested me. My hometown of Durango, CO hosted the Vanadium Corp. of America-- they did the initial yellow cake refining, and shipping to Los Alamos for the two A-bombs. Also, my very best friend built nuclear triggers at Rocky Flats for about twenty years, between Golden and Boulder, CO, and he also did remedial soil contamination clean up there. Last... son of another good friend is a nuclear engineer in Bremerton, WA "turning over" nuclear Navy power plants. Fascinating stuff..oh and I forgot, my grandfather was a professor of physics at University of Arizona-Mesa, and was involved to some degree in the Los Alamos project: he would never discuss.

I likely have radiological markers in my bones...downwind of the Nevada tests... physics rocks.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts