1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,083 Posts
Love the Old Birds....

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Great shot and You know that I love the old birdies too.
Although I like photos and events with different war birds, like this, more.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
I recently purchased The Battle of Britain (1969) on DVD.
Second hand from a antique store in Wanganui.
$4.
I remember my dad taking my brother and I to the movies to see it in the early '70s.

Last Saturday I cranked the volume up on the home theatre and watched it on a projector.
Awesome!
The Hurricane does not feature much but I don't think you make such a film again without significant use of CGI as these aircraft are so rare now.
From memory Churchill's quote was something like: Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few.

On another note I did read today that the last surviving member of the Dam Busters squadron passed away today. Les Munro was aged 95.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/70818274/les-munro-last-remaining-dambuster-dies

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Love those old pics

Or new pics of old birds.
Soon there will be none of those hero's remaining, hopefully there will be someone that will continue to tell their stories.
I've got cupboards full of DVD's, VHS cassette's and books on the old birds and tank, even some ships.
Sometimes I put one in when working on the bike, just for background noise and info.

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,052 Posts
Dave is back!!!

Donsy, you have 2 copies of the P38 ..... My favorite (next to the Spitfire!)....don't suppose that would play on a U.S. Machine do you??? If you want to share I would like to be your friend!! :)

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Dave is back!!!

Donsy, you have 2 copies of the P38 ..... My favorite (next to the Spitfire!)....don't suppose that would play on a U.S. Machine do you??? If you want to share I would like to be your friend!! :)
I have two copies of many of them Ed, some bought elsewhere too. I'll try and burn them onto a thumb drive for you, zone free, will let you know how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts

Donsy... You're missing a couple of classics..

"A Bridge too Far".... Superb film ... and "The Battle of The Bulge"..

Get in there mate :)

I have em all, just snapped that pic with the phone as I walked by the cabinet. "A bridge to far" get's played on Aus Foxtel all the time.

·
Registered
17,191 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I recently purchased The Battle of Britain (1969) on DVD.
Second hand from a antique store in Wanganui.
$4.
I remember my dad taking my brother and I to the movies to see it in the early '70s.

Last Saturday I cranked the volume up on the home theatre and watched it on a projector.
Awesome!
The Hurricane does not feature much but I don't think you make such a film again without significant use of CGI as these aircraft are so rare now.
From memory Churchill's quote was something like: Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few.

On another note I did read today that the last surviving member of the Dam Busters squadron passed away today. Les Munro was aged 95.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/70818274/les-munro-last-remaining-dambuster-dies
A family friend Ken flew 55 missions in Halifax and Lancaster bombers. He always said he was just an ok pilot who happened to have the best wingmen. Always overly modest, Ken never lost a plane. He also recently passed away.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A family friend Ken flew 55 missions in Halifax and Lancaster bombers. He always said he was just an ok pilot who happened to have the best wingmen. Always overly modest, Ken never lost a plane. He also recently passed away.
Thank you for telling us..He would have been a highly skilled pilot and part of a great outfit.
Those guys flew straight into hells teeth and kept their cool..Respect..
Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts