MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning. Until recently I had a 900SS and a 996, but there was a problem with the moving company (Indianapolis to Tucson) and they ended up pranging both bikes by setting them up in the truck on kickstands and expecting them to stay upright... The 900SS has been sold, and the 996 is being repaired.

Anyway, looking at a, local to Arizona, 2000 MV Agusta F4 Strada. Bike looks nice, 5600 miles, have to find out where she was serviced of course, but what d'ya think of that year MV? I know it isn't a 200HP F4 2010, but I'm looking for interesting and pretty, not new. Hate it when I see three of what I own at the local Starbucks. :)

Thanks much!

- Dana Kincaid

·
Registered
742 Posts
Check with Steve at Renaissance motorcycles in Tucson. He probably knows the bike...

·
Administrator
20,060 Posts
Hello Dana....2000 is second year of the F4, and the "New" MV Agusta. There were some improvements made in the next couple of year models, such as dual radiators for better cooling.

Gorgeous bikes, very reliable with correct maintenance. Do NOT like city traffic.
Some of the guys can give you better advice on the earlier bikes.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Banned
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Gorgeous bikes, very reliable with correct maintenance. Do NOT like city traffic."

Planning to use for country desert trip up the mountains and around, with the 996 for more general use. Not sure yet, I have that spending urge, and MVs have caught my eye. LOL. Male jewelry.

·
Banned
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good idea!

Check with Steve at Renaissance motorcycles in Tucson. He probably knows the bike...
He really wants to sell me the 2012 F4 that has been sitting on the floor for a bit though, I know. (...)

I'm not a real fan of new, I like projects. Most of my friends seem to like new new, the shiny, but that can be really boring. After all, if it has a warranty someone else will always be fixing the broke stuff. 21st Century plastic for plastic people.

"NCC-1701. No bloody A, B, C, or D!" - Montgomery Scott

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Buy it! If the number plate is correct that's bike number 100. That's kind of cool to have an even number with an even number year. :)

Personally the early 750's are my favorites. Plenty of power but not so much where you can't make them scream.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Wait a little more some knowledgeable folks in here will tune in pretty soon. Will tell you what to look for as well just to be sure its a trouble free piece..

·
Banned
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok and thanks... Standing by

Wait a little more some knowledgeable folks in here will tune in pretty soon. Will tell you what to look for as well just to be sure its a trouble free piece..
Thanks!

"We watch, and we listen, and we are always there." - The Talamasca

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
I think some already did. Notice the guy that posted previously with over 10K posts?

Personally my preference would be an evo2 or later on the 750's but even these early 2000 models are less trouble than the new 2013 models with their fueling and RBW issues. :)

·
Banned
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rbw?

[Personally my preference would be an evo2 or later on the 750's but even these early 2000 models are less trouble than the new 2013 models with their fueling and RBW issues. :)[/QUOTE]

RBW?

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
It really depends on what you are looking for. Everyone will give you a different opinion. Some people like the 2010+ models which are the fastest. Some people like the 1000's and some weirdo's like myself prefer the 750's.

What I would suggest is just to lurk for a bit and take a look at some of the posts and get an idea of which compromises that you are willing to deal with. :)

·
Registered
5,580 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
It really depends on what you are looking for. Everyone will give you a different opinion. Some people like the 2010+ models which are the fastest. Some people like the 1000's and some weirdo's like myself prefer the 750's.
Don't forget about us 1078-ers. All the power and none of the electronic assistance. :mouthwate

·
Banned
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, I went to the dealer and said, what do you think of these, can you repair...

And he said, "Ya, but the new ones are SO much better. They have come so far, weigh less, aren't top heavy. You know the engine was almost completely redesigned in 2010, the brakes on the old bikes (aren't Brembo), the new suspensions are SO much better...'

And I said, "But the new ones cost $$$$ more. Is there any trade in value on my 996?"

"Well, the 996s are such a small market now since the new bikes are SO MUCH BETTER..."

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
So, I went to the dealer and said, what do you think of these, can you repair...

And he said, "Ya, but the new ones are SO much better. They have come so far, weigh less, aren't top heavy. You know the engine was almost completely redesigned in 2010, the brakes on the old bikes (aren't Brembo), the new suspensions are SO much better...'

And I said, "But the new ones cost $$$$ more. Is there any trade in value on my 996?"

"Well, the 996s are such a small market now since the new bikes are SO MUCH BETTER..."
I disagree with that. If you are looking to go fast on the track indeed the new ones are better but there's lots of stuff you give up in the process that many people don't like to talk about. Don't worry Donsy I'm not going to mention them. :)

Sounds like someone's bending the truth in order to "steal" your trade. I'm in the market for a well cared for 916 based Ducati myself. They come up locally on Craigslist in the 7-10K price range and don't stick around long. There's still huge demand for those older Ducati's. Eventually the right one will come along so I can park the two Cagiva cousins next to one another.

Sounds like the advice you are getting at that dealership is based on boosting revenue rather than reality. Put your Ducati up for sale locally. You will be quite pleasantly surprised that you probably won't be a penny out of pocket to buy an older F4.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts