MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´ve beeing reading about the famous rear hub issues on the F4 bikes, now I got a question that might be or might not be related to my rear hub. When I walk my bike arround (engine off) as I push it and it starts rolling I can hear a noise that sounds almoust as if the chain was twisting or not aligned... I cleaned it with a toothbrush and an O-Ring safe liquid cleaner and lubricate it real good but the noise is still there so I´m under the impression that my hub might be the problem... has anyone come across this issue?? the chain free play is about 8mm wich I think is ok..

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
If your getting any noise or grinding from the hub area it is time to strip it out and inspect, do not ride the bike until you have eliminated the problem. it's an easy task with the right tools and plenty of info on here about servicing the hub.

jimboF4

·
Registered
517 Posts
Check your hub! I was lucky and was only left stranded; had to call the wife to bring up a trailer. I've heard of people going down hard from failed hubs.

·
Vendor
5,330 Posts
I´ve beeing reading about the famous rear hub issues on the F4 bikes, now I got a question that might be or might not be related to my rear hub. When I walk my bike arround (engine off) as I push it and it starts rolling I can hear a noise that sounds almoust as if the chain was twisting or not aligned... I cleaned it with a toothbrush and an O-Ring safe liquid cleaner and lubricate it real good but the noise is still there so I´m under the impression that my hub might be the problem... has anyone come across this issue?? the chain free play is about 8mm wich I think is ok..
Put your bike on the rear stand and check for any movement by grabbing the wheel and moving it laterally.When you say chain has 8mm of free play do you mean 8mm below the lower chain guard?MVs like a loose chain compared to any other bike.Also,when is the last time the hub was serviced?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Put your bike on the rear stand and check for any movement by grabbing the wheel and moving it laterally.When you say chain has 8mm of free play do you mean 8mm below the lower chain guard?MVs like a loose chain compared to any other bike.Also,when is the last time the hub was serviced?
I LIFTED THE BIKE AND CHECKED BUT THERE IS NO MOVEMENT... THEN I STARTED ROLLING THE WHEEL AND IT SEEMS THAT THE NOISE I HEAR DOES NOT COME FROM THE REAR HUB, IT ACTUALLY COMES FROM THE FRONT SPROKET. I REMOVED THE SPROKET COVER AND EVERYTHING LOOKS OK. NOW I THINK IT MIGHT JUST BE THE CHAIN SO I`M GETTING A NEW ONE NEXT MONTH
I has 8mm of play below the lower chain guard

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your getting any noise or grinding from the hub area it is time to strip it out and inspect, do not ride the bike until you have eliminated the problem. it's an easy task with the right tools and plenty of info on here about servicing the hub.

jimboF4
I`m pretty sure it has never beeing serviced.. the ibke is only 18k kilometers. I`m gonna check that info on servicing the rear hub

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would definately service the hub at that mileage like Jim has suggested.
I´m leaving for a 1000km trip and as soon as I´m back I´m getting the service done. I´m gonna take a look at the manual to see how it´s done and get it done myself. Thanks!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I LIFTED THE BIKE AND CHECKED BUT THERE IS NO MOVEMENT... THEN I STARTED ROLLING THE WHEEL AND IT SEEMS THAT THE NOISE I HEAR DOES NOT COME FROM THE REAR HUB, IT ACTUALLY COMES FROM THE FRONT SPROKET. I REMOVED THE SPROKET COVER AND EVERYTHING LOOKS OK. NOW I THINK IT MIGHT JUST BE THE CHAIN SO I`M GETTING A NEW ONE NEXT MONTH
I has 8mm of play below the lower chain guard
Is it a clicking or racheting sound?

·
Vendor
5,330 Posts
I´m leaving for a 1000km trip and as soon as I´m back I´m getting the service done. I´m gonna take a look at the manual to see how it´s done and get it done myself. Thanks!
PM me and I will give you step by step instructions :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
My rear hub was slowly leaking grease. Every ride I came home with a whole mes of grease that looked like it had slowly centrifugally sprayed from the hub to the outside of the wheel. Just had it serviced for all of $100 Labour and she's pretty good now. But I was getting a bit of a grinding noise when in neutral moving it in and out of the guarage and have done for a long while. Doesn't seem to be an issue, your probably right though, something to do with the chain sprocket where the gearbox type stuff is.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The sound could be the front brake pads on the discs (hiss sound)
My 1078 has 26000kms on clock and hub was inspected twice and no sign of any wear. Never been jet washed or in the rain. Although I agree with others ie service it dont get paranoid about the rear hub. Check it to be sure. Sound in my case is the floating discs. Check also wheel bearings

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My rear hub was slowly leaking grease. Every ride I came home with a whole mes of grease that looked like it had slowly centrifugally sprayed from the hub to the outside of the wheel. Just had it serviced for all of $100 Labour and she's pretty good now. But I was getting a bit of a grinding noise when in neutral moving it in and out of the guarage and have done for a long while. Doesn't seem to be an issue, your probably right though, something to do with the chain sprocket where the gearbox type stuff is.
exactly!! a bit of a grinding noise is what I hear. definetly coming from the front sproket area... I´m leaving in a couple of days so I got no time to do anything on the bike. I´m gonna take it easy like I always do, won´t pass 150kilometers an hour like I always do and check it again as soon as I´m back

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My 1078 has 26000kms on clock and hub was inspected twice and no sign of any wear. Never been jet washed or in the rain. Although I agree with others ie service it dont get paranoid about the rear hub. Check it to be sure. Sound in my case is the floating discs. Check also wheel bearings
definetly comming from front sproket area. My bike has never seein the rain or a water hose... wheel bearings or brake pads would make the noise at a diferent area I would think...

·
Registered
193 Posts

I agree, I think you might find it's the front brake pads. Got it a try. Pretty sure that's what it is on mine.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE: A couple of days ago I cleaned up the chain real good and lubricated it, so yesterdsay took a quick spin and came back to the house, re lube chain again and rode the bike out on the highway..it had beeing months since I did`nt go pass 100kilometers an hour, in fact...all I`d beeing doing was riding in town between 3 and 4 thousands rpm.. So yesterday I got on the freeway, did a 50kilometer ride long at speeds between 120 to 180kilometers an hour and when I came back to a stop, after the bike cooled down I started pushing it back and forth and THE GRINDING NOISE WAS GONE!! I figured maybe the cain was dirty and oxidated inside and it was causing all that grinding noise. anyway... I`m gonna keep checking on it and posting!! brake pads are a bit noisy, I checked on that too but it`s a diferent noise. should I worry?? cause it seems normal

1 - 19 of 19 Posts