MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set off for work this morning after checking tyre pressures/lubricating my chain. Bike was handling great on the way to work, on the journey home i got caught in heavy rain. Over the years i've rode in all kinds of conditions so i just kept things smooth, pulling up to some traffic lights a mile into my journey & the rear tyre was sliding around (i thought the road had some spilt diesel on it)
I rode up the slip road to join the motorway at around 50-70mph & there was a bang from the rear end (like something passing through the chain & sprocket)
The back end was behaving like i had a puncture so i slowed & exited the motorway, as i was coming to a stop for the roundabout at the end the rear wheel locked!:surprise:. I got the bike onto the side of the road & noticed the tell tale aluminium all over the wheel. My bike is an 2007 f4 312r with 6000 miles, i do all of my own maintenance but i must admit i haven't given the hub any attention.

I can only imagine what could have happened if it was dry outside & i would have been 'moving' a bit quicker!?:| so lucky!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I set off for work this morning after checking tyre pressures/lubricating my chain. Bike was handling great on the way to work, on the journey home i got caught in heavy rain. Over the years i've rode in all kinds of conditions so i just kept things smooth, pulling up to some traffic lights a mile into my journey & the rear tyre was sliding around (i thought the road had some spilt diesel on it)
I rode up the slip road to join the motorway at around 50-70mph & there was a bang from the rear end (like something passing through the chain & sprocket)
The back end was behaving like i had a puncture so i slowed & exited the motorway, as i was coming to a stop for the roundabout at the end the rear wheel locked!:surprise:. I got the bike onto the side of the road & noticed the tell tale aluminium all over the wheel. My bike is an 2007 f4 312r with 6000 miles, i do all of my own maintenance but i must admit i haven't given the hub any attention.

I can only imagine what could have happened if it was dry outside & i would have been 'moving' a bit quicker!?:| so lucky!
Its an easy fix mate and theres plenty of folk on this forum that can help.:wink2:

·
Registered
14,505 Posts
?

Holtie;
Post a picture of the right side of the hub so we can assess damage.....
sometimes they can be saved

If not, I can supply a stock hub with new bearings

Best plan! contact gotojoe here on the Forum ....he stocks Mitch Hubs in the UK
I have 31,000mi on mine #6
They are bulletproof

:grin2:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holtie;
Post a picture of the right side of the hub so we can assess damage.....
sometimes they can be saved

If not, I can supply a stock hub with new bearings

Best plan! contact GotoJoe here on the Forum ....he stocks Mitch Hubs in the UK
I have 31,000mi on mine #6
They are bulletproof

:grin2:
I'll post some pictures later, Wow 31k! Yes i think i'll go down the Mitch's Hub route for piece of mind:smile2:

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I'll post some pictures later, Wow 31k! Yes i think i'll go down the Mitch's Hub route for piece of mind:smile2:
Hi Brian.

Firstly sorry to hear of your hub failure and happy that you aren't injured... I had a sprocket carrier collapse at low speed on another bike...The day before I'd been belting through the Connemara mountains so the gods were looking down on us !

I have a Mitchy Hub here is stock so I have sent you a mssg.

I find emails easier so if you like contatct me at [email protected]

If you have mangled any other parts let me know as I have some spares here also.

Cheers

Joe

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had the day off work so I started stripping the bike down, Check this out! Back to saving pennies now

Attachments

·
Vendor
5,337 Posts
That looks nasty,the small amount of grease that is left in the needle bearing is discoloured also,looks like a bit of water ingress.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts