MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read most of the threads on the subject and wondered "when's it going to go"
Just over 20k miles the engine went kaput. I was lucky enough to get my hands on an SPR motor very low miles so in it went and I carried on riding.
Recently I noticed or more sensed mainly through the foot pegs a type of "snatching" when accelerating. It wasn't there on a steady throttle or decelerating or freewheeling
Anyway I am at 25k now so checked the chain no tight spots I have spent the day changing the bearings and seals.

The roller bearing was starting to collapse and the needle bearing was very stiff bit hard to describe its state.

Off for a ride tomorrow see if it's cured but either way the bearings needed doing

·
Vendor
5,638 Posts
When is your bearing going to fail is like saying "How long is a piece of string"As long as you service the hub as per the service schedule is all you can do.Put the bike on a rear stand after a long ride and feel for any play in the rear wheel.Have a read of my recorded hub failures in my section "The Hub Man" it will give you an idea of the average recorded failures.So basically regular checks is the way to go.Your clicking noise really sounds like chain/sprockets.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
25K miles is past the point that the hub becomes a service item according to MV. Now that you have changed the bearings be sure you check and service the grease at least every other oil change and you should be good for another 20K+

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to go a bit off topic, but what happened to that engine?
Cheers Henrik
Not 100% sure. I think it dropped a valve. It started to rattle from the top then seized.
I got the engine nearly strAight away to replace so never started the process of stripping it. Too many projects on the go so never got round to having a look

As for the hub the new bearings have cured the snatching sensation runs nice and smooth now

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
trickydicky;1267425 The roller bearing was starting to collapse and the needle bearing was very stiff bit hard to describe its state. [/QUOTE said:
there is no roller bearing......it's an annular contact 2 row ball bearing 3810-2RS

I know of only 1 needle bearing failure....
the inner seal got cut and the grease leaked into the center of the hub

:jsm:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts