MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My F4 750 yr2000 has clicked over 51000 miles.
I've decided since I need to pull it apart to fit upgraded frameplates and swingarm, that I'll go ahead and ''restore'' the bike while I'm at it - a full mechanical and cosmetic freshen up for another 50K mi.

There wouldn't be many F4s with this kind of mileage and not many Mitchs hubs have done this much duty either. Lets see, I never serviced it until now:

Ive engraved the install mileage:

I believe black grease is moly "wheel bearing" grease:

Grease feels and smells just fine.

Inner needle race cleans up fine. No brinelling of the surface:

At the deep groove ball end things are less healthy:

Outer bearing has been fretting on the shaft. Feels 'okay' but not wonderful. A look under the 2RS seal shows the installed clear grease has darkened.

Not sure why Mitch has doubled up the bearing. I guess why not, but by the time you account for the radii of the inner race the inboard bearing is only engaging on the shoulder of the shaft around 1mm, and is in perfect condition, i.e. not utilised:

Shoulder is 15mm wide. Bearings are 12mm wide.

So I'll install another bearing. A SKF 61910-2RS and a new Sealing Ring (Springless) 55x63x5 and give it another thrashing.

I hope this has been useful. Cheers.

Reactions: cruiser

·
Vendor
5,408 Posts
I've decided since I need to pull it apart to fit upgraded frameplates and swingarm, that I'll go ahead and ''restore'' the bike while I'm at it - a full mechanical and cosmetic freshen up for another 50K mi.

There wouldn't be many F4s with this kind of mileage and not many Mitchs hubs have done this much duty either. Lets see, I never serviced it until now:

Outer bearing has been fretting on the shaft. Feels 'okay' but not wonderful. A look under the 2RS seal shows the installed clear grease has darkened.

Not sure why Mitch has doubled up the bearing. I guess why not, but by the time you account for the radii of the inner race the inboard bearing is only engaging on the shoulder of the shaft around 1mm, and is in perfect condition, i.e. not utilised:

So I'll install another bearing. A SKF 61910-2RS and a new Sealing Ring (Springless) 55x63x5 and give it another thrashing.

2 bearings are fitted to share the load,it’s an engineering thing.The inner bearing is sitting on the shoulder by 25% and that is fine by engineering standards.The grease has gone off.It is not moly grease,it is Penrite High Temp bearing grease.
Good clean up and new grease,good to go.
Good mileage I must say,but I think Noel has more mileage though.lol.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
2 bearings are fitted to share the load,it’s an engineering thing.The inner bearing is sitting on the shoulder by 25% and that is fine by engineering standards.The grease has gone off.It is not moly grease,it is Penrite High Temp bearing grease.
Good clean up and new grease,good to go.
Good mileage I must say,but I think Noel has more mileage though.lol.
I think Noel's working on a 50,000 mile test....can't be too far away from it :)

Reactions: mitchy

·
Vendor
5,408 Posts

The bearing number is- 6910 2RS x2.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reactions: mitchy

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
?

SKF have re-codified it for their product needs
Trust me SKF didn't change anything
6910 is a plain bearing
The 2RS means 2 Rubber Seals
The x2 means there are 2 bearings.....it's NOT part of the bearing number :wink2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
trust me skf didn't change anything
6910 is a plain bearing
the 2rs means 2 rubber seals
the x2 means there are 2 bearings.....it's not part of the bearing number :wink2:
+1

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
?
Trust me SKF didn't change anything
6910 is a plain bearing
The 2RS means 2 Rubber Seals
The x2 means there are 2 bearings.....it's NOT part of the bearing number :wink2:
No one likes a know it all Noel.
Can you read that you bell-end?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts