MV Agusta Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Half of all science is wrong.... Is that the same science that powers your MV, turns your lights on, refines oil into fuel, cools your food in the fridge, trains your doctors, trains your investigators, locates and mines your precious minerals then turns them into your MV fuel tank, wheels, tyres etc, provides you with satellite internet, allows you to travel across the world in hours not years? It is called scientific theory for a reason. It is about the reasoned discovery/understanding of things within our world. To do this you need to start with a hypothesis. The hypothesis isn't to be proven right, but to be tested. It isn't to steadfastly stick to the hypothesis even when the evidence does not support it....like some other things in life.....
Now I wonder how many religious people make this claim about science whilst believing in something that is completely unsupported by observation and fact. Did you know the human race has worshiped somewhere between 10,000 and 12 000 gods? That is a ALOT of wrong. AND none of it supported by fact.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think this may be a deliberate misquote: The correct quote as I remember it is: Half of Science is proven wrong, by new Science -- This happens all the time .. It is the foundation of the concept of science.. You choose to elevate the scientific theory that best fits your observations as "the truth" -- And the test of a truly scientific approach is to recognize that at some point you will be proven wrong, or at least imprecise and you will need to change your theory.. This is exactly what sets a scientific approach apart from most religion: Religions usually lay claim to "the truth" without any supporting evidence, and lack the ability to change when "the Truth" is seen to be obviously wrong...

·
Registered
110 Posts
We will be nothing once it spreads to the more poorer countries around the world. the African continent will be terrible.
I spoke to a friend who's daughter lives in Rwanda, he said they went into very strict lockdown and border closures immediately and so far not too bad.
I realised Africa has prior experience, these countries have been through Ebola and so had the protocols for this at their hand and ready to go.
It explained to me why the apparent low numbers, which us bigoted whities didn't expect because we view Africa as 'backward', were in fact possibly correct.

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts
I spoke to a friend who's daughter lives in Rwanda, he said they went into very strict lockdown and border closures immediately and so far not too bad.
I realised Africa has prior experience, these countries have been through Ebola and so had the protocols for this at their hand and ready to go.
It explained to me why the apparent low numbers, which us bigoted whities didn't expect because we view Africa as 'backward', were in fact possibly correct.
During the Ebola crisis, they disinfected our seats the second my wife and I got up when we touched down in Windhoek, Namibia. We were the only Americans on the plane and because we had a case in Texas at the time the US was considered a high risk country.

·
Registered
978 Posts
That is good news. Mine isn't an assessment of anything other than the numbers of poor in those countries and lack of facilities to medically respond to the epidemic if it gets a run on similar to some of the poorer countries in the Pacific and South America.

·
Registered
978 Posts
How is everyone going? 2 socially distanced track days in a week here, so I'm happy. We are kicking this things butt here in Oz. Pubs and restaurants are open again, up too 100 patrons in the ACT.
Nooooo Zeeelund have smacked it out of the park. Jacinda locked it down super early and they are back making money again with f all cases. Some pretty good leadership on that side of the ditch. Ours hasn't been too bad, but she has nailed it.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
We'll be a long way off in UK. A few things open, but there seems to be no rationale as to what can open and what can't. We understand the necessity of supermarkets and they have worked well with isolated checkouts and one-way isles. But we have had hardware stores (like your Bunnings) open for yonks, and there's very little control there - in the instance of my visit at least.

So we can go and buy all amounts of hardware we want, but to get a cup of coffee or a beer is next to impossible.

I could migrate to New Zealand I suppose, but I think there's more Brits there than here!! :D

·
Registered
978 Posts
Spent alot of time there. There is always alot of native fauna on the Army bases over Australia. They basically have right of way in all but safety circumstances and are never disturbed otherwise. There was the famous Emu Bob at Kapooka back in the 90s who had free reign over the entire facility. Quite disturbing when you are on the parade ground and this bloody huge emu walks on for a close up look. I remember turning the light on in the back of a Huey after we landed from a NVG sortie one night and right in the middle of the cabin floor was a HUGE green tree frog that usually lived in the hangar! Don't know where he was hiding during the pre flight but he logged 1.5hrs goggle that night :LOL: Dropped him back off in his favorite hangar drain and there he stayed.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts