MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ride from Canberra to Sydney??

I am currently in Canberra, and will be riding back to Sydney in a few weeks.

So stop me going insane from riding back up the Federal highway through Goulburn etc, which way would you recommend??

Look forward to your thoughts?

:brutale:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I'd go via the snowy mountains up to Tumut and back out through Gundagai to Sydney. It's an insane trip to Tumut. The next leg has no traffic and friendly for joyful wrists. Roughly 700km.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I did the Tumut trip a few years back, on the way to the Temora airshow with a few mates + wives as pillions. It was mid May, and the following weekend the road was closed due to snow...
The Cooma to Tumut stretch is some of the best riding you'll ever get (beware of cattle on the road in the forest and of the roos as you get closer to the dam near Tumut). Canberra to Cooma though is very boring, mostly straight road though the plain/plateau.

My usual Canberra Sydney itinerary is though Bungendore, Tarago, Goulburn, a few km on the highway then turn right at Marulan towards Tallong, Wingello, Bundanoon (good coffee stop), Exeter, Sutton Forest, Moss Vale, Burradoo, Bowral Mittagong, Willow Vale, a few km on the highway then turn left to Bargo, Tahmor, Picton, Camden...then it's your choice how you want to enter Sydney.
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q=new south wales

Enjoy.

M

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the Tumut trip a few years back, on the way to the Temora airshow with a few mates + wives as pillions. It was mid May, and the following weekend the road was closed due to snow...
The Cooma to Tumut stretch is some of the best riding you'll ever get (beware of cattle on the road in the forest and of the roos as you get closer to the dam near Tumut). Canberra to Cooma though is very boring, mostly straight road though the plain/plateau.

My usual Canberra Sydney itinerary is though Bungendore, Tarago, Goulburn, a few km on the highway then turn right at Marulan towards Tallong, Wingello, Bundanoon (good coffee stop), Exeter, Sutton Forest, Moss Vale, Burradoo, Bowral Mittagong, Willow Vale, a few km on the highway then turn left to Bargo, Tahmor, Picton, Camden...then it's your choice how you want to enter Sydney.
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q=new south wales

Enjoy.

M
Thanks Mick...I am back now, and went the way you do (almost). I turned off at Exeter/Bundanoon and then went via the valley etc, and back through Wollongong and the Royal National Park. Awesome stuff (apart from the slow cars!!).

The most interesting thing was following 4 turkeys on their sportsbikes through the National Park; R1's, R6's and GSXRs - complete with sandshoes and plastic jackets!! These guys cornered like a bowl of unset jelly. Reminded me how important it is to learn to ride and dress before you step up to something with real horsepower!! (fools)
:jerkoff:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Thanks Mick...I am back now, and went the way you do (almost). I turned off at Exeter/Bundanoon and then went via the valley etc, and back through Wollongong and the Royal National Park. Awesome stuff (apart from the slow cars!!).

The most interesting thing was following 4 turkeys on their sportsbikes through the National Park; R1's, R6's and GSXRs - complete with sandshoes and plastic jackets!! These guys cornered like a bowl of unset jelly. Reminded me how important it is to learn to ride and dress before you step up to something with real horsepower!! (fools)
:jerkoff:
Luke, sorry I didn't reply in time (I was in Honkers on biz last week) but you found the way by yourself anyway :) A good call to branch out towards the Gong at te end of the ride.

Yeah, I know about the kind of fools. I see them all the time, riding in boardhorts and muscle shirts on summer sundays, with their just-as-smart girlfriends perched on the back in mini shorts and mini singlets.
Learn to ride is a must (superbike cornering school is a good start - I can't get enough of it and did level 4 three times..); wear the gear is just using your brains to look after the rest of your body...
Cheerio

1 - 6 of 6 Posts