MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've talked about in another post, my Brutale 1090 r is running on three cylinders. Previously the dash check said OK even though I was running on three. After a #@[email protected]#@_ trip to the garage the dash now indicate a problem on coil 4. What does it really mean? The coil is faulty or could it be anything else related to the fourth cylinder (injector, plug, ECU etc)

·
Administrator
20,056 Posts
It means the ECU is not receiving a signal (reverse emf) from the coil, telling it there was no collapsing of the field in the secondary windings (induces a voltage in the primary windings, which are connected to the ECU) and therefore no spark.

This could be because the ECU failed to fire the coil (and doesn't know it is the cause itself), or the coil is bad. Swapping coil with a known good one will tell which is the fault.
Swap #1 and #4 coils...if problem moves cylinders it is the coil. If it remains in #4 then it is the ECU.

Don't neglect testing continuity and insulation of the wires involved from ECU plug to coil.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts