MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Find a good waste paper basket (yellow ones are best),

2. Find the perfect equilibrium point,

3. Place brake lines on waste paper basket at optimised angle (important) - they have remarkable strength.

4. Place 8 bricks on a towel 150mm behind rear wheel, AND

5. Voilà

and step 3 illustrated:

Step 4 Illustrated:

I hope this "How To" is helpful as we generally make things far too complicated and we need to explore new simplified ways to doing work on our bikes :)

Of course, if you are the less adventurous type you can always add into the equation a frame jack & two car stands :eek:

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Headers are stock, no cat - ceramic coated in 2010 from memory.

The pipes are straight through - like the F3 - they are in-house "rossi modded pipes" :naughty:

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fork upgrade? Is it ohlins.
No Ohlins - LOL -... just some sexier internals in the Marzocchis (nothing major) - exactly what still being debated in terms of (primarily) cost - lol If costs spiral we'll just do the seals (leaking) and that's it :)

I may be a bit slow, but what do the bricks do?
Just love high tech fixes!
The bricks are necessary in case anyone knocks it over, I then have a ready made pile of projectiles to hurl at the moron concerned :)

Well sort of, where the bike is sitting is kind of a thoroughfare from backyard into the house - the bricks are there to weight down the stand (towel is there to stop my bloody expensive Anderson stand from getting scratched) & provide a visual & psychological barrier (hopefully) to some klutz walking through - as I know my family & relatives well, I think it a sound & necessary precaution :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rob... Were did you use the stringed musical instrument ?

Was it kept on stand by in case the bike came crashing back down to Earth..

Looks like you got this set up from page 42 of the " Heath Robinson" book of DIY suspension tuning..

Indeed Johnny, the Voilà player was on stand by to play an appropriate requiem perhaps Missa Pro Defunctis (of course only the string section & movements) in case of such an unimaginable catastrophe took place :cry: Luckily it didn't & now we play the waiting game.

I am not familiar with Heath Robinson but if he promulgates set ups like that then I shall have seek him out to become disciple. :)

If you take the blue waste paper basket, you don't need another block of wood under it :laughing: LOL
(love your construction! :yo: )
INDEED another block of wood would have been required with the highly inferior blue waste paper basket! - Go straight to the head of the class - well done Sir, very well done. :yo: Who said suspension was boring? :laughing:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Love your work Rob, your like Macgyver

·
Registered
658 Posts
Rob the spring on the S is perfect for the road is plush for bumpy.back roads. Other model like the R is much harder good for the track. Fork oil should be service at least once a year

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rob the spring on the S is perfect for the road is plush for bumpy.back roads. Other model like the R is much harder good for the track. Fork oil should be service at least once a year
Yes that's the problem, as manic as I am with everything else on the bike, the fork oil is my Achilles heel & always put on the back-burner - I usually don't think about it until I pop a seal! Embarrassingly, I can't even remember when it was last done!!!

But you are right the spring is nice as is for what I use it for & I like the set up which was done by James Gunn at Zenodamper some 4 years ago :eek: - we'll see where we go but I am leaning more towards just redoing the seal maybe a better weight oil depending on advice & save the money for carbon for the F3. Thanks for the tip/advice Tony. :)

·
King of Bling
9,818 Posts
Hey Rob

Heath Robinson is a slang term used here in the UK.

Here is the good old Wikipedia explanation
: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Heath_Robinson

They say that Necessity is the mother of invention, and your set up certainly proves that point.. Well done mate ! :)

What fork upgrades are you thinking of doing ?.. Are you just doing the spring and valve upgrade or going the full hog and installing radial bottoms ?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Rob, is there any specific type of brick used here...? Sandstock, bluestone, wire cut...? Am amazed that you haven't covered this area mate

Size is also important :naughty:

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Rob

Heath Robinson is a slang term used here in the UK.

Here is the good old Wikipedia explanation
: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Heath_Robinson

They say that Necessity is the mother of invention, and your set up certainly proves that point.. Well done mate ! :)

What fork upgrades are you thinking of doing ?.. Are you just doing the spring and valve upgrade or going the full hog and installing radial bottoms ?

Good grief mate, Heath Robinson - I feel like Luke Skywalker - I think I just found out who my dad was - he was obviously leading a double life! :jsm:

Just a straightforward spring and valve upgrade is the plan ... well, for now that is.....must be/stay strong! :laughing:

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rob, is there any specific type of brick used here...? Sandstock, bluestone, wire cut...? Am amazed that you haven't covered this area mate

Size is also important :naughty:
My apologies mate, obviously important factor and how very remiss of me to overlook this - different models require different bricks the 1000s which is the bike in question needs Austral sandstone bricks - with a 312R (like yours) being a faster bike it needs a more dense brick to hold it down - I would recommend a corderite brick. Hope this helps. :)

Size is ALWAYS imporant always go (as with anything in life) with as big as you can handle :naughty:

And they should be Italian....
Ahh excellent point revhead - Italian bricks are not necessary on the standard - 750 - 1000s /R - 312 R models, however they are a must for all special models like the Senna, Tamburini, CC, Veltro etc - if in doubt, take no risks & go with Italian bricks. :smoking:

haha good job, personally I find A frames and ratchet straps equally good

Gosh Jimmy - great job! :yo: The only flaw I can see with that method is that you need an A frame and/or exposed trusess & beams which (as in my case) not everyone has - but nearly everyone can come up with the essential elements of my method, namely, a floor, a waste paper basket & some bricks :smoking:

This thread as a community service has turned out better than I ever expected :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts