MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even if you don't understand or care for American Football, stay with me here....

The Atlanta Falcons just played the Detroit Lions in Wembley Stadium in front of 80,000 fairly rabid English fans. The NFL wants a team in London, and has played one game each year there for the last few years.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Atlanta starts extremely fast playing like their hair is on fire. They lead the favored Lions 21-zip at intermission. Again, for our international friends, a 21 point lead is huge. They can do no wrong, and Detroit can do no right.......

Stay with me here....

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
After intermission, the tide turns......boy does it turn. Detroit scores 19 unanswered points to close within two to 21-19 with less than four minutes to go. Still Atlanta is leading, and they've got the ball with the clock in their favor.

But nooooooo. The Falcons can't stand prosperity.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Falcons, having successfully run off two minutes on the clock, have the ball, and Detroit is out of time outs, with no ability to stop the clock. Less than two minutes to go now. If the Falcons merely sit on the ball, they can run off 45 seconds on each play.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, what do they do? Well, they stop the clock with an offensive holding penalty. Yes, one of our dumb ass linemen holds his opponent. Clock stopped.......clock stopped.....yikes, clock stopped. Still, we've got the ball, and with another running play, we can run the clock down to less than 60 seconds and then punt to Detroit.

But noooooo.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Our quarterback throws an incomplete pass......stopping the clock again. So, now we punt to Detroit and put them way deep into their territory, 80 something yards from a touchdown.

Maybe, just maybe our defense will come through with a defensive stop.

But nooooooo.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Detroit drives down the field. Complete pass for 25 yards. Another for 20 yards. Another for 20 again. So, now Detroit is in field goal range as time expires.

It's a 42 yard attempt. Not at all a sure thing, especially on Wembley's soft and torn turf.

The ball is poorly snapped to the holder, who quickly catches and places the ball for the kick, the kicker approaches the ball, plants his left foot, and boots the ball.........

........and the kick is wide right. Field goal missed, Falcons hold on by the skin of their teeth ,and win the game, right?

But nooooooooo......

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DETROIT is called for a delay of game penalty as the ball is snapped. The previous play subsequently never happened. Back the Lions up 5 yards and re-kick the attempt. This time, from 49 yards.

The Detroit kicker, having missed his previous attempt must now try again, from even further out now.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, you already know the end of this story, right?

RIGHT THRU THE GOAL POSTS. Detroit defeats Atlanta 22-21 with zero time left on the clock.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We're hoping the Falcons coaching staff is not permitted to leave Heathrow, and we leave them in London.

I don't mind getting beat by a better team, or a better coached team, or whatever.....but i hate to gift wrap the victory because of our dumb ass players and coaches. The flight home won't be fun, I'm sure.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
15,000 posts. Some solace. :smoking:

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
15,000 posts. Some solace. :smoking:
None at all....London's wanting a team. Maybe we can just leave ours there. :ahhh:

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Is it really that London wants a team, or is it that Roger Goodell is hellbent on putting a team there?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
They have been doing the same thing here by having the Bill’s play games in Toronto. The NFL has already shot down past attempts by groups wanting to build a new stadium for a Canadian team. I think the NFL is quite happy to use the CFL as a farm league for NFL players. But who knows what the future holds. It seems every sports group has its Bernie Ecclestones. Some people point to the worldwide expansion of C.A.R.T. as the beginning to its ultimate down fall.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
It was an amazing game. I was fortunate enough to be given a ticket... not a bad first game to see live, even if I was cheering on the Falcons! Cannot believe they lost as they could do no wrong for the first half!

·
Registered
876 Posts
The Lions haven't been able to do anything right for sooo many years, regardless of talent. I've been saying for a long time the only thing they haven't changed is the owner, maybe that's the problem. It seems this year they can't lose, no matter how hard they try. Yeah, there's the field goal thing (from previous games) but they're still on top and the Packers lost today. It's not the Falcons fault, there's a greater power at work here. You can forgive them!

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Well Randy, speaking about games involving oval balls - I see that our national rugby team the All Blacks have just landed in Chicago. They play the USA in a one off game this weekend.

Really good to see that the game is sold out.
Try and watch. The game is 80 minutes long with a 10 minute break at half time.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts