MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to change out the plastic to metal and found I can not get the plastic connectors off the bottom of the fuel pump.

1. What tool (size/socket) did folks use to remove the connectors ?
2. Any good tips to remove these ?

I can't find a socket or wrench I can get into the base of these to remove... and there seems to be corrosion build up around the base of the connector. Not sure how easy these will be to remove...

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
22,087 Posts
There is most likely a thread sealant/locker applied to those fittings. Steady pressure applied over a period of time is what is required.

As I recall, it is a 3/4 inch socket that fits those fittings. Removing the metal slide is key. Do that by pushing in the spring loaded pin with the tip of a screwdriver or punch and sliding the metal piece out. When you release the spring it will shoot out, so cover it with a plastic bag or a rag...and watch your eyes!

You can use a bent box end wrench, too....but trimming the excess plastic will get the socket in place firmly.

Barring that, you just heat them and break them and pick them out.

Note the position of the slides as it is important when installing the new metal pieces. Easier done, again, if you remove the slides on the new pieces.

·
Super Moderator
22,087 Posts
The female fittings don't fail.......
Leave sleeping dogs lie(y)
Usually, I would agree...but, in this case I have experienced compatibility issues with newer CPC fittings.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought a 3/4" socket and found out this does not fit (too big), then I seen another posting in this forum showing it is a 19mm socket and I have now ordered this... Hopefully the 19mm socket is the correct size and I can get these off...

·
Super Moderator
22,087 Posts
19mm is 0.75" which is 3/4"...andit's the wrench I use.

I also just measured the CPC fitting that goes into the pump plate: across the flats = 3/4"

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh no... Not sure why then, when I tried with the 3/4" it was too big... I guess I made a dumb move with the 19mm LOL... I did not think to x check the measurement...

·
Super Moderator
22,087 Posts
Can you post a picture of your setup?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was trying to be more finesse as sockets were not the issue. The top of the quick release connectors are wider than the base. So I decided to get the dremel out and cut the top off the connectors and used a 5/16 socket to remove the base... it was simple after I cut the top off... now to figure out how to get new connectors on!

IMG_1704.jpg

·
Vendor
5,281 Posts
Sorry to dissapoint you again.
The original MV plastic female fittings are not a hex.The fitting only has 2 flats which requires a 5/8 open end spanner to remove,not a socket.
First you have to dismantle the latch as Chuck explained.
Then you very carefully undo the fittings with the open end spanner.
New CPC metal fittings are a 3/4 hex.Once the latch is removed you can fit with the socket and don’t forget plumbers tape on the thread.Should have read first you cut the top off the fittings.
New metal fittings are easy to fit.
Removing the horrid plastic ones can be a bitch.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sorry to dissapoint you again.
The original MV plastic female fittings are not a hex.The fitting only has 2 flats which requires a 5/8 open end spanner to remove,not a socket.
First you have to dismantle the latch as Chuck explained.
Then you very carefully undo the fittings with the open end spanner.
New CPC metal fittings are a 3/4 hex.Once the latch is removed you can fit with the socket and don’t forget plumbers tape on the thread.Should have read first you cut the top off the fittings.
New metal fittings are easy to fit.
Removing the horrid plastic ones can be a bitch.
Hi Mitch, they are very much a hex at the base which you can see in the pictures. Like Silentservice previously said, you need to remove the clip and trim the excess plastic to access the base hex. Not an issue if you are replacing them.

·
Registered
14,410 Posts
The size is 5/8" or 16mm
Because the fittings are plastic and the Dagos glued them in its best to use a box end wrench or weatherhead crow's foot
You will have to trim the larger top off
20200403_200321.jpg
20200403_200635.jpg
20200403_202238.jpg

·
Super Moderator
22,087 Posts
Well now, I didn't have access to my old fittings...lesson learned. Thanks @theknurl and @zabaroptik.

On the subject of the new fittings...they are 3/4". The way to install them is to remove the slide as described in the second post in this thread.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts