MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The best way to lock the rear wheel.....I DIDN'T REMOVE THE ARROW THUNDER FOR THE PICTURE

DO NOT LOCK THE REAR WHEEL BY PUTTING THE TRANSMISSION IN GEAR....THE GEARS ARE CASE
HARDENED AND CAN CRACK

Attachments

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
This is a brilliant solution for locking the rear into place so as to put torque the rear wheel nut. Noel gifted it to me years ago when I was installing an STM slipper clutch into the track bike, and I couldn’t retorque the clutch bolt to spec without turning the engine, transmission, and rear wheel. I was at a loss, and this trick saved my track day. Thanks again my friend:yo:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi Noel, is it really a concern for cracking transmission gears? I figured the force applied to the transmission from the wheel would be no more than that from bump-starting, which all bikes should be able to handle.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hi Noel, is it really a concern for cracking transmission gears? I figured the force applied to the transmission from the wheel would be no more than that from bump-starting, which all bikes should be able to handle.
Normally I, too, would question theknurl's statement above.
But, in the case of "theknurl" I will accept his anecdotes as MV word....
Better to learn from some one else's mistake or wisdom; than the hard (expensive) way.

All that said; I used a 2x4 as a wheel chock and hung a 25lb bag of bird shot on the rear brake pedal, when I applied torque to the big nut.
The bag'o-shot also proved useful as an assistant when I bled the rear brake on my Turismo.

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cracked gears?

Laguna Seca '78, last lap of practice on Friday, the flagman was waving everyone in ......my rider Steve McLaughlin wheelies
past him to do another lap>:)

Right next to the flagman the transmission let go.......lucky for me, I had Friday night to fix it, instead of Saturday during practice

3 gears, 8 teeth luckily all the trash went down instead of between the shafts :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
Laguna Seca '78, last lap of practice on Friday, the flagman was waving everyone in ......my rider Steve McLaughlin wheelies
past him to do another lap>:)

Right next to the flagman the transmission let go.......lucky for me, I had Friday night to fix it, instead of Saturday during practice

3 gears, 8 teeth luckily all the trash went down instead of between the shafts :grin2:
I think I have some color slides of that race weekend stored somewhere around here...

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I can see what you are saying but the resistance to the rotational force if the transmission is locked is static and not converted into rotation so not really what the teeth are designed for...the energy will want to go somewhere and I can visualize the teeth are little levers eager to snap at the fulcrum..

For the standard rear wheel torque, I get a friend to hold the brake pedal and use a 4 x torque multiplier.. Just normal brake pedal pressure no need to bend the lever !

: ) Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts